Wiki Posts
Search

which on road?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default which on road?

im looking at getting into onroads seriously. what would be a good setup to get? i already have radio gear and electrics, all i need is the chassis.

i have a 600 aus budget to spend, i have found a very hopped up ta05 at a good price, what are the recommendations?
Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

there is always the Xray T2'007 EU edition. Based on the currency calculator, 600 AUD is about 500 USD (499 to be exact...) The Xray retails for around 400 usd. so that could be an option. There is also the TC5 comming out soon. Depending on your local track, you may want to get the ITF chassis to go with it. The TC5 retails for about 350 USD and the ITF chassis and top deck total out to be about 80 USD I think. So that is yet annother option. Also, you mention a TA05. Are you talking about the TA05R? I would suggest going to your local track and asking the other drivers what chassis they use. Also, check the hobby shops in your area and see what they stock. Parts support is a big factor when choosing a chassis. Good luck
Old 05-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

Go to the track you will be racing, look at what type of parts support they have first (nothing worse than breaking before the Main, and the onsite hobby shop dosent carry your chassis parts), Once you find out what brands they support, then narrow it down. Also while you are at the track find out what the fast people at your track are running, both chassis and motors, some chassis and motors work better on different tracks. If you are a budget racer you might want to steer clear of XRay, not because its a bad chassis, they are great, but replacement parts are spendy. You also need to decide what type of transmission you want, belt or shaft. Tamiya has a good selection of chassis that range from low to high budget (but remember if there is no parts onsite that could, and probably will be a problem). I myself have a XRay T2 007 Euro, I would have probably gone with the Hot Bodies Cyclone, but our track dosent have any parts onsite.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

If your local tracks and shops have a good Tamiya Stock, I would go with the TA05 R, it retails for around $250 usd, it has alot of hop ups, actual kit value is around $400 usd (our local track owner added it up)
Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Tech Regular

yea, well parts are no problem, there is no onsite shop, i have to get parts from other places. so i cant decide based on that, the HB cyclone s is 240 i think au for the kit, i didnt think they were high end though. hmm well there is one for sale on here, http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162085, 290 au for the roller plus post. what do you think? or should i go with a new one? i was looking around and saw the schumacher mi2, looks decent.

basically im looking for one to begin with, but at a mid range level (eg no sprint 2's etc) needs upgrades and adjustability.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Again if money will be an issue I would go with a used one like that TA05, but if you can afford a kit, and all the other stuff it will need, then I would do that. Building the car is half the fun plus you get to know the in's and outs of it. Yes the cyclone is a highend chassis, there is currently the origional black version, the Moorespeed version based on Andy Moores chassis, the Hara edition can still be found, and the S version the budget chassis. The Schumacher cars are good as well, I hear the new Mi3 is going to be incredable on asphault. The track may have an onsite hobby shop, but that dosent mean they stock the parts for every car, check it out. Yeah you can get parts online or somewhere else, but alot of good that is going to do you when you break something and the next race starts in 45min, and the onsite shop dosent stock your chassis parts. What type of track will you be racing on, carpet or asphault?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Koolkid, where are you going to be racing and what type of tracks do they have?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 AM
Tech Regular

asphault, there is no on site hobby shop, the closest one is a rip off, and i dont mind ordering as one in sydney stocks tonnes of the parts for the cars im viewing, and the ones they dont the newcastle hobby store does. ive been looking at

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161214

or

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162085

which is better value? i only need the chassis. i saw the cyclone s but as it was cheap (230) i didnt know how good it was. im pretty sure about the ta05, but i am eyeing a few others. basically what cars do you run and how do u find them race wise? (as long as they fit in my budget)
Old 05-15-2007, 04:05 AM
Tech Champion

The TA05 is a very durable car, I have had a fair few shunts and as yet nothing has broken on mine (touch wood hehe).

The standard plastic chassis is a bit too flexible though and you may want to consider upgrading it, as well as the plastic shocks.

Still a good car for the money though
Old 05-15-2007, 04:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I am in the same boat as koolkidd, around 600 all up to spend..

Considering
TA-05
Cyclone S
JRX-S Pro

What else would be good?
Asphalt surface (netball courts tbh).. Good out of the box adjustability .etc
Old 05-15-2007, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

I run a XRay T2 007 Euro, wich is made for Asphault. I picked it based on parts availibility and design, had there been parts support at our track I would have gone with the HB Cyclone Moorespeed, or the Schumacher, both are great asphault cars. Since it seem like you are gunning for a TA05, like I suggested earlier, get the new TA05 R kit, you should be able to get one nib for around $250usd and it comes with almost all the cool hopups, it is a steal at $250usd, over $400usd worth of stuff included. Then you wont run the risk of buying someones POS, beat up, stripped out car (not that those two on the forum are, but its a possibility)
Old 05-15-2007, 04:07 AM
Tech Regular

yea i was leaning to the 350 one as it seems in better condition plus has the carbon fibre chassis priced at 108 us on the 3 racing website
Old 05-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Keep in mind, if you are going to race in a Tamiya TCS race, 3racing parts are not allowed, only Tamiya parts
Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Tech Regular

where are those run? i dont think there is that class at this club.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Out of those 2 as you already have the electronics I would say go the first thread, however it's always good to have back ups and the second thread also comes with a very good servo. Value for money I would say the first one.

From my avatar you'll notice I drive a Scythe, the distributor so far has had most of the parts I have needed or wanted in stock however the car is not distributed to many stores as yet. It is an awesome car.

From what I've read here and from what you have entered my advise to you is the following and it's based on the fact it appears you are new to onroad ep racing.

Start in 540, learn car craft, driving lines, set ups and maintenance. You don't need a top line chassis as you will not be able to utilise all of it's abilities and as it appears your new to this you will only damage it and therefore waste your money.

If the first TA05 is still available I would jump on it as it also includes the full carbon upgrades. Parts for this car a readily available in Aus and there are plenty of racers still using Tamiya cars. The distributor doesn't import the TRF cars anymore, well from last notice I had so the TA05 is the top of line being brought into Aus and hopefully the parts supply too.

Dont worry too much about support as we in Australia don't get the same support even on the most popular chassis as the O/S guy's do. (Not going into that here)

If it's available grab the TA05, learn your race craft and then progress into Stock. From there the TA05 will be more than capable of helping you progress in the Stock class (Arguable the tuffest class to win) and once you have updated and aquired all the accessories required to be racing at the highest level and you can confidently push you car to it's limits without destroying it then look at the top line racing chassis.

If you feel you must have a new chassis my picks are
TOP Racing Scythe (click on the link in my signature)
Schumacher Mi3
Associated TC5
Hot Bodies Cyclone - Moorespeed

Hope this helps.

Good luck
Cheers
Aaron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.