Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Question about why my tuning changes when I put the body on? >

Question about why my tuning changes when I put the body on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about why my tuning changes when I put the body on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
you will have more airflow to the engine with the body off, so if you think about it, the body will slow the airflow around the engine and it will get hotter. i would try riching the engine up 1 hour from ware you tuned it without the body. for this reason i always tune with the body on, then dremel hole in the body so can get to the high speed screw.
K, I'm just gonna try to tune w/the body on, and of course wait till the engine is warmed up, that should be the easiest fix, I may have to cut the body some more with scissors to gain easier access to the high and low needles. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
Dude NEVER EVER clean and reuse air filters all your doing is pushing the fine particles further into the filter. the price of a new filter is far cheaper than risking the price of a new engine.

also like it has been said before it sounds like the body is just reducing air flow
resulting in overheating.
Originally Posted by lethalsassonic
Wow, I didn't know that about air filters, I'm gonna toss em when they get dirty now!

its personal preference, some people buy new others clean the filter. As long as you clean it good enough instead of a good rinse you wont have a problem. Its prob 50 50 on the air filter. you dont wanna keep the air filter for ever and ever and just reclean it. every rebuild i buy a new pack of air filters. so i clean them about twice and they get tossed.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up -

I would prefer not estimating on how much you turn it. That could take even more time. Is the whole around the motor big enough and do you check the motor temp before and after u put the body on? That may help answer your question.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The airfilter info is only his opinion, not a fact. If you properly clean and reoil an airfilter there is no diddference than running a new one. Filter oil will trap any dirt that may not have rinsed out of the filter any way, that is what is is made for. You don't replace the foam filter on a motocross bike everytime it gets dirty so why is an rc engine different??
Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by racer357
The airfilter info is only his opinion, not a fact. If you properly clean and reoil an airfilter there is no diddference than running a new one. Filter oil will trap any dirt that may not have rinsed out of the filter any way, that is what is is made for. You don't replace the foam filter on a motocross bike everytime it gets dirty so why is an rc engine different??
Your still not gping to get every piece that is in the filter. There's noo way. And those small pieces are what goes onto the engine.

I understand where your coming from with the motocross bike but think of the size difference.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Don Sholes
Your still not gping to get every piece that is in the filter. There's noo way. And those small pieces are what goes onto the engine.

I understand where your coming from with the motocross bike but think of the size difference.
on my cars, my inside filter doesnt get dirty, only my outside so if i missed any the inside catches it anyway
Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by lethalsassonic
Hey guys, I'm running a Kyosho MP 777 with an OS .21 VG Motor. I like to tune my buggy with the body off so I can reach the needles easier, but when I put the body back on, the settings are slightly off. I have plenty of airflow, there are holes around the engine and where I refuel. I'm assuming the temperature rises though, and perhaps less air gets into the carb, so is the general solution for this just leaning out both needles by an hour before putting the body on? Is there a simple solution, or is this a case-by-case basis? Give me some opinions please. Thanks!
Also check to see that the rubber filter elbow isn't being bent over by the body once installed. Many of these bodies don't allow enough room, and close off some airflow by pushing against the filter and choking the flow.

As posted 1500000 times before....(sorry if you have seen these before, but some new people haven't seen them yet) KEEP THOSE FILTERS CLEAN!

...get em cheap on fleebay! Run the Hi-flow version on race day and use the standard flow for practice.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
Also check to see that the rubber filter elbow isn't being bent over by the body once installed. Many of these bodies don't allow enough room, and close off some airflow by pushing against the filter and choking the flow.
Bingo. Chances are good that the body is pressing on the air filter, and that weakness you're feeling is a lean bog.