Search

1/12 Foams

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/12 Foams

What kind of tires does everyone use? And how do you like them? I don't mean purple and grey. I mean Jaco or CRC etc, etc.

I am using Jaco's right now, but would like to try the CRC's. The CRC's come on nice white dish rims.

I have used this one brand, can't remember the name right now, but the rims were universal (2 or 3 bolt). The rims were junk. The rears broke all around the outside.

Also, does anyone out there mount their own foams? What brand of donuts do you buy, and where do you get them from? Do you just use regular CA? What kind of tire truer do you have?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Default CA is a no no!

Hey

Lots of people mount there own foams...here in Kamloops it was the only way for a while to get good tires for your TC or pancar.

Contact cement is the adhesive of choice along with some laqure thinner to make it slippery enough to get the wheel in the donut.

CA is not what you want to use at all...good for rubber tires but not for foams.

If your thinking of mounting your own, take your time and readup on how to use the tire truer (whatever kind you can get in town), and ask around... I'm sure someone there has one sitting in the corner and will have some tips as to technique.

If you do move into the area in January, the RC store does have experience with truing tires. Just ask about it. If you do move and manage to get your hands on a pancar, we all use premounted tires so there'll be no need to mount you own.

As for what's good. I found the Jaco tires to be a little cheap on the amount of foam on the donuts, but they do fit like a glove. The TRC (Losi company??) provided a lot more foam but were not at all true to begin with; the jaco's were almost mount and go. But again ask around, my experience is only with the 1/10th scale size donuts, 1/12th scale may be completely different.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:04 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hello, Hope this helps.

I work for Jaco, but in the fairness to your question I will try not to be biased.

Its becoming increasing difficult for consumers to buy fresh 'donuts" We ( Jaco) have discontinued our Donut line here in North America.

We discontinued our line due to the fact that other manufactures (I wont mention names) were mounting our rubber to their wheel and then claiming wins to their name.

The Wheel is the only way to tell what your running.

This is also the trend with TRC, Which is not owned by Losi as someone mentioned. in-fact TRC does not mount their own tires anymore. A company in Italy named GRP mounts the TRC line of tires for Trinity.

It is also common practice to mount with CA. Most tire manufactures ( that are automated) use CA. we have very high tech jigs that ensure the wheel is completely coated. again this was done for 2 reasons. (1) one it speeds up production (2) the CA is quite a bit lighter then the old way of mounting with rubber cement. this weight saving is enough to notice a difference in performance.

If you do mount tires yourself, you would be safer using rubber cement to ensure the complete area is covered.

those "universal" wheels that would accept both 2 or 3-bolt hubs were made by TRC. I believe they no longer produce that wheel.

I also have a FAQ on our web-page. www.jacoracing.net

I hope this helps you.

Korgae.

Jaco Racing

P.S. I will be in Edmonton this weekend, and if you have any questions I would be more then to answer them.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

CA used to be a no-no but I have been using Jet Slow professional grade for 2 years now. You have time to coat the entire inside of the tire ... the way I do it is to insert the nozzle between the tire and rim, squeeze and run the nozzle around and around to spread it, then flip the tire and do the other side, then roll it on a flat surface a line up the "bead." You have a good 5 mins before it will set.

I do this for my 1/8 on-road tires and they generally come out better than factory - but ironically they cost more. I was told how to do this by Ralf Burch... a guy who has won more than a few races in his time.

I did a few 1/12 tires for club guys this way last year and no one complained about tires separating. The other side effect is that the tire is more balanced than one done with rubber cement.

But like I said new rims + "fresh" rubber + expensive CA = more than a pre mounted tire. The benefit is that you can use a durometer ont he rubber and put the harder edges to the outside... and compare a few set of rubber to make areally close set of tires. I would do this for the A-main at a big race but not for day-to-day.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

BTW - I've tried a lot of different tires and Jaco are the best IMO. And no I'm not sponsored by them HA HA.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by chammond
BTW - I've tried a lot of different tires and Jaco are the best IMO. And no I'm not sponsored by them HA HA.
This is true
Old 11-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I figure after I have a decent stock or rims, that it will be cheaper just to re-mount new foams.

I have only had one set of Jaco's so far, so nothing to compare yet either. The rears were nice. The fronts were poorly balanced and out of round (probably causing the balance problem). We will see how the next set are. Unfortunatly, I don't have a tire truer yet (so thats why i'm not mounting), so I am running these tires as is.

I am going to try come CRC's, as they come with the nice dish rims, and they are white. I'm not fond of the Jaco grey.

This isn't me bashing Jaco's, they are nice, just saying what i have gotten so far, and what I would prefer.

Does anyone out there have a truer for sale??? Even if you know have some crappy home built one. As long as it trues the tires straight across, thats all I need.

Thanks for your posts everyone. Thanks Korgae, from the response from Jaco.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Jaco 1/12 Purple suck when new (Korage - can you do something about that!)

If you true them down really good with a carbide blade they'll be much better. Soak then in compound first and the cutter will work better.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Chris. Man I need a truer.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:34 PM
Company Representative

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the good comments about Jaco.

Chris, sounds like you have been mounting Elligi (Or another brand of GRP tires) LOL

I say this becuase you should not be having to durometer tires that are of the same compound.

that is poor quality,and is a huge reason why people feel our tires "feel" better on the track.

I think our new line of 1/8 scale Nitro Shoes ( aval Jan 04) will make you leave the CA bottle for your offroad tires LOL

Board Slapper- our "grey wheel" is discontinued, your LHS must have very old stock, which explains why your fronts were out of round. When a tire sits for a period of time the foam will tend to warp out if not trued. We have had our new white wheel for just about a year now, these wheels were made for our CA glueing process and to increase the strenght of the wheel where the bearings sit

we can chat more over the weekend.

Korgae
Old 11-27-2003, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Korgae - Has your new 12th wheels been available to hobby stores for a year? We just got them for the first time this week. Maybe distributors wanted to get rid of their old stock.

BoardSlapper - We do have the new white rims 12th wheels in. The new jaco's tire work well. Alot better than the ones I used last year.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well, all I got were the grey rims. Guess I got hosed once again.

Unfortunatly, I am not really heavy into RC at the moment Korgae, so we will have to wait until the Calgary race to talk foams. That is if I'm not in England or moved off to BC.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Hi guys

I race in victoria and we have had horide luck with jaco tires, the rims always break and it leaves the tires useless. A couple of times the rimes cracked rite up the middle and the tire flew off but the barrings and the nut were still sucure, The team crc tires are great you can smoke bords and the rims keep on going i havent broken one this season compared to going through like 10 pairs of jacos last year.

Sorry to rag on your campany korgae but they didnt work for me

Thanks Doug
Old 12-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Company Representative

Hi Doug,

Sorry to hear that Our tires didnt work you. Mind you if they worked for everyone then we would have no competition.. The CRC wheel is made out of the exact same plastic as our wheel.

Korgae
Old 12-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hi

thanks for the quick reply korgae

Maybe it was just how i was driving last year, blake has showed me some new things for this year and i have improved. aka hitting less 2x4s. lol...

Thanks again

Doug

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.