Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Putnam Propulsion Motors are now back in the UK!! >

Putnam Propulsion Motors are now back in the UK!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Putnam Propulsion Motors are now back in the UK!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

How interesting. Anyway, this is a Putnam thread so lets try and keep it on topic.

JO90, don't worry about being the only person running a Todd prepared motor, I'll be there in 19t bring the power!
Currently running a Putnam 19t in my cefx c12. Mega.

Really looking forward to the winter months now.
Todd, whats the info on any different 19turn motors appart from the silver can?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BJ
Well he was not on the pace on the saturday, only did a 13.2 sec lap.
He was on pace on race day, but come the 3rd round he was flying, went past the 2005 National champ like he was standing still.
Again the speed on the car in the finals was too fast for a 27T end of story, did a 12.6 second lap. This is on pace with a 19T, even round Ipswich this is a good time. After his car had been through scruitneering someone else looked at the motor and it had no 'EPIC27' or relevant tag.
I believe someone else was in this final but the motor had been removed very quickly before someone came over to look.
You read into this what you like??
Personal rules are rules and should of been disqualified for that meeting.
(Sorry for posting on the wrong thread!!)
Before commenting perhaps get your facts right see my post above.
No motor was removed before anyone came to look.

As for the 12.6 sec lap - with a new armature, purchased independtly on the day, after the complaint, the driver did a 12.5 sec lap TOTALLY LEGAL in the last leg. Think what you want but that was a total legal motor and went quicker!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

"As for the 12.6 sec lap - with a new armature, purchased independtly on the day, after the complaint, the driver did a 12.5 sec lap TOTALLY LEGAL in the last leg. Think what you want but that was a total legal motor and went quicker!!!!!!!!!!!"

Was this a Putnam Armature?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:00 AM
Tech Adept

Barry

OK, should have said that in the A final he was pulled for one run, my bad and as you can see retracted. I even got done as a certain car collected me at the start wipping off some lead)

Richard - Top job, Putnam is the way forward I think. Have my hands on a nice new CO27 to run alongside the monster so will back to back test them, may well run the CO tonight down the club if I get a chance to cap it up before a race (and aslong as the other guys don't mind me testing it out).

Im still undesided as to what class to run next year. Im tempted to do 27t again just to see if I can improve on this years ranking (btw the scores are updated and I finished 13t not 15th overall !!). However would like a pop at 19t so I might well do the STCC in 27t and do the SE Summer Series in 19t.

Todd, Any tips you can give us on gearing for a huge (25 odd by 35 odd metre) carpet track would be good - internal ratio is 1.8 if that helps. Also what springs do you recommend for carpet (red / purple / combo) ?

Cheers
Old 10-10-2006, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

JO90,
Last year at carpet wars, we all ran the monster motors at around 6.0 - 6.4 overall. As the CO27 is being marketed as a high rev option to the monster, I would be starting my gearing at around the 6.2 mark.
Springs should be green/green or maybe green/red just to keep the revs up as high as possible.
Testing the co27 at s/end wont prove to much as the track size is so small and the driving standard is a bit low. You might get 2 or 3 clean laps and then a bang.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by part-time racer
JO90,
Last year at carpet wars, we all ran the monster motors at around 6.0 - 6.4 overall. As the CO27 is being marketed as a high rev option to the monster, I would be starting my gearing at around the 6.2 mark.
Springs should be green/green or maybe green/red just to keep the revs up as high as possible.
Testing the co27 at s/end wont prove to much as the track size is so small and the driving standard is a bit low. You might get 2 or 3 clean laps and then a bang.

so who is saying this then
from lowest revs to highest
co27,monster,X,Roar
X fall s right in between the monster & roar

co27t use`s 2-3 teeth bigger pinion then monster
wouldn`t like see you burn your co27t out on first go

It`s all in the gearing
Old 10-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Ricky: Congrats on winning the '06 STCC Championship as well as the dominating performance at Colchester.

jo90: Picking the proper gear over the net is pretty difficult, as it can vary based on layout, driver, chassis, cells, etc;
We just returned from the IIC in Las Vegas, where the majority of my team drivers run for Corally, (the RDX trans ratio is 2.0). This is considered a large layout by our standards. With the new WC IB4200's, we started at a 31/104 with a 56.5 - 57.0 mm tire. The handout motor was a Monster stock. The best way for each driver to achieve their best rollout is through trial and error, letting the laptimes be the judge.
As for springs, we start with reds. Since spring pressure is governed by pressure per square area, the less brush face you run, the less spring tension you need to achieve the same pressure per square area. Example, if you remove brush face, (ie; cavity, slot, trim edges, etc you can decrease spring tension. If you run full brushes, you may want to increase your spring tension.

Richard: The fastest 19 turn currently is the Komodo-based motors. I'm not certain they are BRCA approved yet, let me know...
Old 10-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

JO90, sorry for the miss-information. my bad. I was lead to believe that the co27 was a high rev motor? Your best to follows jollys advise on this one as i have not tested the co27 yet and going on whats being suggested for the nationals next year, it looks unlikely that a 27turn motor will ever see my cars again

Todd,
Nice to hear from you again mate. The BRCA have not allowed the Komodo yet and it looks unlikely that they will but we shall see.
Any other suggestions?

Again, well done to Rick on the results acheived this year. Unlucky on just missing the title for BRCA national champ in stock, still a strong result though.
You should be a favourite for the carpetwars 19t title.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well said Barry my motor was the same as Pauls and i got my best result ever due to the motor tuning of the man himself " H "
Old 10-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

cuttingedge , Its clear that there was issues raised at the last weekends meeting at Ipswich.
And I'm sure it will all be forgotten about soon.
Lets try and keep it on the topic of Putnam products here.
Cheers, Richard.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Check out the Maxamps Banner up top thats my shell ............. Thats one in the eye for you JO ............. LOL
Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Todd, you have PM
Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Richard: If the Komodo isn't legal, I'd suggest a Chameleon 2. If extreme heat is an issue, sometimes the Atlas works better due to it's stronger magnets.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, can some of you explain exactly what the cavity cut achieves, and just as importantly, how it achieves it?

Thanks
Skiddins
Old 10-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Tech Adept

Cuttingedge - Ow, my eye . Funny though, my Putnam was faster than your 'special' down the straight and out of bends, just couldn't keep off the kirbs !!!!

Damian - The hole I believe lowers the drag on the comm and perhaps might even keep the brushes cooler due to this (I have not had one brush burn up at all, even after 4 runs with my club based motor).

I believe Todd does a special jig for drilling 3 different size holes, for now though I have resorted to drilling by hand, comes out ok if you take your time and line it up right. Will definately be ordering a jig though for Xmas - will make life alot easier I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.