Search
Like Tree9Likes

Tires for a DRY clay track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tires for a DRY clay track?

It's colder than usual where I live right now, and that means every heated building has super-dry air -- including the warehouse where my local indoor clay track is located. It's watered daily just before closing, but by the next afternoon it's dusty again. The Pro-Line Positron MC's I'm running right now are struggling to provide enough traction to accelerate enough to clear an after-corner triple-jump that has no runup. What kind of tread pattern should I try running instead?
Old 01-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 107 (100%+)

I was having the same problem last week at our local track.Our track has very little heat. It was below 60 inside last week and the track surface was cold to the touch. Usually clay Positrons are really good but not now. Not sure what to try either
julieng likes this.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Well I'm not sure if it'll work the same for you two but Positrons were the prime Summer tire for our indoor clay track but everyone switches over to slicks for the winter like Proline Primes and Inversions. I switched to those and got a lot of traction back when taking off the positrons.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Slicks? On a dusty track? I would've thought they'd slide all over the place once they pick up a film of dust. Am I misunderstanding something about the nature of traction on clay tracks?
Old 01-03-2018, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Slicks? On a dusty track? I would've thought they'd slide all over the place once they pick up a film of dust. Am I misunderstanding something about the nature of traction on clay tracks?
I can't say I'm an expert but that is what I switched to and it was a huge difference with the way the track is currently. I've seen it before on our old outdoor track too. It was really dusty so I was using tires I thought would penetrate the dust but the fast guys were telling me to try slicks and sure enough slicks were a big difference back then too. I now just go with the track recommended tires rather than experiment with my own money and time lol
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

It depends on where you are at, how much moisture is in the track.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

It's colder than usual where I live right now, and that means every heated building has super-dry air -- including the warehouse where my local indoor clay track is located. It's watered daily just before closing, but by the next afternoon it's dusty again. The Pro-Line Positron MC's I'm running right now are struggling to provide enough traction to accelerate enough to clear an after-corner triple-jump that has no runup. What kind of tread pattern should I try running instead?
If you're talking about Mimi's, M4 Electrons, or M4 Primes are the tires of choice there. Some folks run JConcepts Octagons in Green or Black or the new Sweeps Slicks as well
Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Yep, I'm talking about Mimi's. Are Electrons really that different in terms of performance vs. Positrons, or is it the M4 compound vs. MC compound that makes the difference?

Primes still seem counterintuitive to me, but with multiple people recommending them for a dry track, I guess they work well for reasons I don't understand.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

What works best, M4 or MC clay?
Old 01-03-2018, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Yep, I'm talking about Mimi's. Are Electrons really that different in terms of performance vs. Positrons, or is it the M4 compound vs. MC compound that makes the difference?

Primes still seem counterintuitive to me, but with multiple people recommending them for a dry track, I guess they work well for reasons I don't understand.
M4 is Super Soft, and work tons better there. Also I think the popular tire sauce there is Sticky Kicks Orange
Old 01-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Might sound ridiculous but for 1/8 when my indoor track gets dry I swap out my SS Chainlinks for Catapults. They work quite well when the track is dry. But if it is damp or even borderline we, they are garbage (they pack up). But when it's dry that is the set-up I go to for 1/8. 1/10 positrons and electrons are the good tire when it's normal/damp, but not sure what the best set up is on those cars, as I have no first-hand experience. I will find out soon, as my car is almost finished.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scott R
M4 is Super Soft, and work tons better there. Also I think the popular tire sauce there is Sticky Kicks Orange
Good to know. I've had M3 tires before, but not M4, and I wasn't sure where MC fit in the softness-vs-durability spectrum.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AJH387
Might sound ridiculous but for 1/8 when my indoor track gets dry I swap out my SS Chainlinks for Catapults. They work quite well when the track is dry. But if it is damp or even borderline we, they are garbage (they pack up). But when it's dry that is the set-up I go to for 1/8. 1/10 positrons and electrons are the good tire when it's normal/damp, but not sure what the best set up is on those cars, as I have no first-hand experience. I will find out soon, as my car is almost finished.
Catapults look more like the kind of tire I expected to have people recommend to me for a dry track. So now I have to make a decision about whether to try a highly-textured tread or a slick tread, which is the other recommendation I've gotten here.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If there is dust on top, it might be worth changing tread pattern. Something like the AKA Typo or J-Concepts Pressure Points could work better with some dust. Also agree that if it dries out a conventional soft compound might work better than a clay compound, which I've always found to be best with moisture.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:21 PM
Suspended

My local track drys out in the summer. We blow it off with a leaf blower, and mist it with a backpack style weed sprayer. It takes very little time to prep, and you can drive on it almost immediately. It gets very sticky once we get a little moisture in the top of the dirt.

See if they have a leaf blower or brooms to get the dust off the track. When it is dusty, the wheel spin will wear tires quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.