Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

2wd carpet buggy- Losi or Schumacher?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 2wd carpet buggy- Losi or Schumacher?

Looking to run 17.5 stock 2wd buggy on carpet. I can't find a Schumacher ck in the USA in stock and it's a bit more than my next two considerations.

So between a losi 4.0 or a Schumacher kf2 what gets the vote?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Losi is easier to get parts but they are all close enough so it comes down to parts support and driving
Old 01-29-2018, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Consider the Yokomo yz-2 ca too. Much better parts availability the the schuey. Coming out with a new version in the next month or so. That said, the current models are great also.
HuffdawgMotors likes this.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Why not an xray?
Rexracing and billdelong like this.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would personally have a XB2 if I was running carpet only. The KF2 was a carpet monster but was not very good anywhere else for the most part, (without massive amounts of modifications) the KF series was completely revolutionary when it was released.
billdelong likes this.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default XB2 18

I would give a XB2 18 a try! You will be surprised!
billdelong likes this.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default carpet

forget losi, and the kf2! get the Schumacher kc! see last years eos champion 2wd kc!
oldernoob likes this.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Plenty of parts for Schumacher at Discount rc.
kcooper273 and oldernoob like this.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:54 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We changed to turf a 18 months ago at our track and I have raced at several other turf and carpet tracks over the last couple years. In my opinion for carpet.

1. B6
2. Yz-2
3.XB-2
4. Schumacher KC

I had pretty much every schumacher except for the KC/KD series and I can tell you from first hand experience your gonna spend a lot on alum front end parts to get that car reliable. And don't believe the hype any car is going to require several option tuning parts to get competetive on carpet. None of the current 2wd cars is carpet ready out of the box.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

At the turf track in my area, the top dog is XRay for 2WD buggy, the 2018 XB2 has pretty much revolutionized the class for high traction racing leaving pretty much every other popular brand in the area in the dust.

Allison & Lefebvre win at Thornhill Jr indoor race -NeoBuggy.net ? Offroad RC Car News

Yeah there are some really fast local pros from other brands who occasionally show up and might get the podium, but XRay has grown to being the most popular 2WD buggy platform locally, and for good reason.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Love my Schmacher. Have a pretty hot Fantom 17.5 in mine, and other than a slipper eliminator, it is pretty much stock, and it runs with any car out there.

That being said, the new Xray's I've raced against are deadly on carpet.....they're on rails.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JsK
We changed to turf a 18 months ago at our track and I have raced at several other turf and carpet tracks over the last couple years. In my opinion for carpet.

1. B6
2. Yz-2
3.XB-2
4. Schumacher KC

I had pretty much every schumacher except for the KC/KD series and I can tell you from first hand experience your gonna spend a lot on alum front end parts to get that car reliable. And don't believe the hype any car is going to require several option tuning parts to get competitive on carpet. None of the current 2wd cars is carpet ready out of the box.
I was in this situation last month. Was about to pull the trigger on a B6 but added up the cost of all the parts "needed" for Astro. Once I had a figure that was well over the XB-2 I went that route.

There are plenty of YZ-2 guys at our track that are very fast, but after talking with them, starting off was going to be 450-475. The XB2 needed just springs and a sway, costing $380 total (after a $50 off coupon from Amain). So the Xray ended up being the "cheap" option. Thats pretty close to "astro Ready out of the Box"

My situation is sort of unique as there is NO parts support at the track, so I didn't have to worry about running what the track supported.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

No wonder the industry is moving toward carpet/astro when they can sell that much more stuff that cars need to become viable for those surfaces
Old 01-30-2018, 12:41 PM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tvih
No wonder the industry is moving toward carpet/astro when they can sell that much more stuff that cars need to become viable for those surfaces
Of course you can buy a Yokomo DTM (DirT Maifield) and spend lots of money to make it a CA,if that's your cup of tea and end up with such a price tag. There are a few options out there for carpet/astro, and most have their very own adantages and disadvantages. With the right Yokomo kit, you will only have to add some sway bars and springs and get a ton of durable cf and aluminium parts that others only offer as options. If rumours on the upcoming CA2 prove to be true, it will be a hell of a package. The thing I really like about the Xray is the ease of diff access, prices and option parts policy less so. Maybe the buggy is better than the original XT2, but I'd not recommend the latter to anyone. Also, I did not like the Xray shocks as their housings do not have any flat spots to facilitate assembly. AE B6 seems to be cheap at first, but as an average driver you will replace the shock towers sooner rather than later, and end up buying the pricey Kashima shocks. Parts and set-up support is second to none. TLR have great kits, but no specific carpet versions, which will make for a rewarding but expensive experience. I like my 22T 4.0 much better than the Xray, but there are quite a lot option parts inside already, and I did not even add the aluminium steering and servo mounts yet... Kyosho are great quality with a big price tag, and Schumacher just don't seem as durable to me as the other carpet options.
Bottom line: There is more than one option to race on carpet at a decent price. Of the two kits you initially mentioned, I'd only consider the TLR despite the numerous options you may find yourself buying. If you are not in a hurry, I'd say wait a while and take a look at the new Yokomo before making your decision.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

carpet/turf is more economical for everyone, far less hassle creating new layouts, simply move ramps around and you're done, no watering/misting/spraying dirt glue, you get consistent traction every time and tire wear is phenomenally better at the turf track in my area. I've got a set of SCT tires that are approaching a year old.... no chance for wear like that on dirt/clay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.