Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Trying get a little more traction on power /exit corners with diff oil change. >

Trying get a little more traction on power /exit corners with diff oil change.

Trying get a little more traction on power /exit corners with diff oil change.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Trying get a little more traction on power /exit corners with diff oil change.

I rebuilt diffs and a have limited exp. tunning with diff oil. Should I go thicker or thinner to get more traction on power/corner exit loose track running 30000wt now in both Slayer Pro diffs? Thanks for any info!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by savannahmick
I rebuilt diffs and a have limited exp. tunning with diff oil. Should I go thicker or thinner to get more traction on power/corner exit loose track running 30000wt now in both Slayer Pro diffs? Thanks for any info!
Thinner......Much thinner
Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Decided to try Associated 7000cst. in both diffs in my Slayer and the diff in my SC10

I like the way the Slayer drives with the 7000cst oil but can't seem to get the SC10 to hook up and I have tried several different pro setup sheets. The only thing is I setup Slayer Pro like Steve Slaydens Slayer and it drives great but nose dives more of jumps. What can I do to get nose up besides punching it more because flying high makes for slow times? Will different springs, more preload, or drilling pistons to 1.2 mm help what do you recommend? Thanks Again!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nose diving can be caused by several different things but a couple of quick things you can try are: stay on the gas all the way off the lip of the jump. That usually will cause the car to jump nose high. Mechanically, sometimes jumping nose down is caused by the chassis slapping in the rear before the car leaves the jump. I don't know if the slayer does that or not but you can try thicker oil and/or smaller pistons in the rear shock.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

do 30k in the front and like 7k in the rear.

THe reason for the higher diff oil viscosity in traxxas vehicles is because they have a 4gear diff, instead of the 6 gear diff that everything 8th scale uses. THey have less surface area for the fluid to act on- so they need thicker fluid
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savannahmick
I like the way the Slayer drives with the 7000cst oil but can't seem to get the SC10 to hook up and I have tried several different pro setup sheets. The only thing is I setup Slayer Pro like Steve Slaydens Slayer and it drives great but nose dives more of jumps. What can I do to get nose up besides punching it more because flying high makes for slow times? Will different springs, more preload, or drilling pistons to 1.2 mm help what do you recommend? Thanks Again!
In the SC10 I run either 70wt shock oil or 1K diff oil depending on the track layout. One thing also is to check you brakes on the Slayer.. If they are dragging even a little at neutral throttle it will bring the nose down. I actually prefer that with my 8th scale buggy. It makes me get back into the throttle sooner which makes me run harder.....