Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The AE FActory Team B44.2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Finally ran my new 44.2 build. What a great car! Standard kit setup drives really nice. Car jumps great. Corners great. Plenty of steering. I preferred the battery spacers to push the battery back; seemed like it calmed down the rear end a bit. I'll try adding about 50g weight between the cells next. Nice job AE!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by travymoto11
Hope this helps a little.

The main point is that the slipper clutch needs to slip before the diff does.

If you have the diffs out of the car and on the bench......take two allen drivers and insert them into the outdrives(to hold the outdrives still). Try to turn the diff gear.....it should be very difficult to turn. If it's not...then diff is deffenately too loose....tighten 1/8th - 1/4qtr and re-check.

Does that make any sense?
Yeah... That makes perfect sense. I did exact that. I stuck an Allen on each side of the diff and attempted to turn the gear. I went 1/4 turn beyond the point I could no longer turn the gear because I've read and seen AE diffs typically need that little extra.

What confused me mainly was the comment about slipping during break in. I couldn't see how that could happen if I took care of the diffs as such during the build. The only thing I'm expecting to adjust is the slipper if needed.... However I expect AE specifically knew where that should be set (2mm) as a result of testing.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

gonna start the b44.2 build tonight
Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

After almost 2 weeks I finally started my build, lol. I've also noticed that sanding the rings is a MUST! Wow I can't believe how out of flat they actually are. Another thing I found, and this could me my ocd side, that the diff cases do not sit flat once put together. If you hold them up to a light you'll see some nice gaps between the 2 cases. I ended up sanding both sides of the cases to flatten them out and now I see almost no light through them. The nub side I used a small flat file with sand paper over top to clean it up. Now on to the next parts.

If anyone is interested I ended up putting some TD310023 axle boots on the front and rear outdrives to keep them clean. I had some lying around so figured I'd give them a try, fits like a glove. If you do get them, put some diff or shock oil inside the boot 1st, they'll slide on real easy then.

Last edited by Maxxingout; 11-20-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Okay maxx don't make us come to your house and muscle a link of where to buy those sweet little booties. Never seen them before. I would like to try them on all fours as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Tech Lord

Found them using the part # thanks
http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...310023&x=8&y=7
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

LOL, yeah I was in a hurry this morning so I was only able to right down the part #.

Since I had a bit more time, here are the ones you should use on the drive shafts.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ive-Boot-Set-2
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Tech Lord

I have been looking up parts but all I can find are pre-order. Any one had any luck yet? I'm tempted to just buy another kit.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by MattP
To anyone that has switched from the b44.1 to the b44.2 what driving differences have you noticed? Does the .2 just have better rough track handling as it's major attribute?
It jumps better and handles the bumps better. Cornering feels more like a 2x to me so far but after adding 45g between the batteries it felt better, more planted. I only have about an hour on it and with minimal time to play with oils etc.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have been looking up parts but all I can find are pre-order. Any one had any luck yet? I'm tempted to just buy another kit.
Which parts are you looking to buy? Aside from some of the carbon, I'm able to find almost anything for the 44.2.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Maxxingout
Which parts are you looking to buy? Aside from some of the carbon, I'm able to find almost anything for the 44.2.
Shock towers and top plates are really all I want for now. But AE and A-main and our tracks shop are all pre-order.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxxingout
After almost 2 weeks I finally started my build, lol. I've also noticed that sanding the rings is a MUST! Wow I can't believe how out of flat they actually are. Another thing I found, and this could me my ocd side, that the diff cases do not sit flat once put together. If you hold them up to a light you'll see some nice gaps between the 2 cases. I ended up sanding both sides of the cases to flatten them out and now I see almost no light through them. The nub side I used a small flat file with sand paper over top to clean it up. Now on to the next parts.

If anyone is interested I ended up putting some TD310023 axle boots on the front and rear outdrives to keep them clean. I had some lying around so figured I'd give them a try, fits like a glove. If you do get them, put some diff or shock oil inside the boot 1st, they'll slide on real easy then.
Thanks for that Max. I went ahead and ordered those boots lickity split! Put a rush on them since I'm racing Sunday this week with mine.. (cheap shipping on a item so small).

I also ordered the weight for the rear. Why? The more conversation I see the more I see people claim the car is "more planted" with it. I don't understand something...... why wouldn't the car already feel planted with the saddles in the rear, and why wouldn't the front end be more of the problem on weight being light than the rear due to the saddles being in the rear?

Is a bit confusing to me.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

As with the .1, the car feels more planted with weight out back. I felt that it really made the car slower during switch backs (S-turns), and made it more difficult to correct a slide. Ultimately, the lighter car is more nimble, but you be the judge.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
It jumps better and handles the bumps better. Cornering feels more like a 2x to me so far but after adding 45g between the batteries it felt better, more planted. I only have about an hour on it and with minimal time to play with oils etc.
Ok thanks.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattP
To anyone that has switched from the b44.1 to the b44.2 what driving differences have you noticed? Does the .2 just have better rough track handling as it's major attribute?
The .2 is a little easier to drive. The .1 is great, but the .2 is calmer and more stable feeling while still able to carve up the turns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.