Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor >

Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor

Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor

Old 06-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The first lot was released to very few people. There were not many sent out. The new batch is absolutely amazing. I ran it in off-road this weekend and after playing with gearing and some timing it was just as fast as most 6.5s.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by omoser
the first batch of vortex race 2008 do not have the most appropriate rotors, so this could be a reason for the suboptimal performance of these motors so far. At least i was told so by a team driver, we'll see whether Orion comes up with a better rotor for this motor.

As a team driver myself I would like to know who this person is that was giving you this information. Rotors are a tuning tool like brushes and springs. You can put different size rotors to get different feels from a motor.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How can we tell whether or not our motor is from the first batch? And, will Orion replace them? I see in Japan it appears the first batch was recalled?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kschu
wat different 1st lot and 2nd lot?

thanks
Sorry we unknow how to check ,
but i'm know HK which shop is first lot & second lot !

Thanks !
Old 06-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Which one tested New Vortex 08 motor
please post any Turns , 5 or 6 Cell in Small or Large track gear ratio ?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING
As a team driver myself I would like to know who this person is that was giving you this information.
ygpm

Rotors are a tuning tool like brushes and springs. You can put different size rotors to get different feels from a motor.
true, but one should expect that the motor comes by default with a rotor that matches standard needs. None of the guys who ran the new Vortex 2008 are pleased with their performance at the moment, including myself. Stupid enough i bought two of them.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

The first lot was released to very few people. There were not many sent out. The new batch is absolutely amazing. I ran it in off-road this weekend and after playing with gearing and some timing it was just as fast as most 6.5s.
on the one hand you say that the new batch performs absolutely amazing, and on the other hand you had to play with gearing and timing to achieve just similar performance to most motors out there? Well, but then, where's the advantage e.g. over the old Vortex motors? I think customers expect better performance from a motor that replaces it predecessor.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Well I see what you are saying but motors are made to best suit most conditions. I race on very small and technical tracks. From what I heard most European tracks are bigger than in the states. My local track is about 90x50. The off-road track is about the same. My feel and driving style is different that even others that I race with that are using the same equipment. You have to understand that if I say that I like a 5.4 fdr with 6* of advanced timing, you might not like it even if we were on the same track.I don't have enough time on the motor to say if it is better that the old one but it is looking really promising.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

on the one hand you say that the new batch performs absolutely amazing, and on the other hand you had to play with gearing and timing to achieve just similar performance to most motors out there? Well, but then, where's the advantage e.g. over the old Vortex motors? I think customers expect better performance from a motor that replaces it predecessor.
You have your Vortex already (I assume) and I have one on the way. So you may have some first hand experience...But to say you don't have to play with gearing or timing is like saying your cars kit set up is perfect for every condition and shouldn't need changing. I fully plan on playing with the gearing and timing to best suit how I like to drive and my track layout. I am running a Hacker 17.5 now, and I will do a side by side comparison to see for myself. Not saying your wrong though... I just think, like your car, your motor needs tuning/setting up.

With that said I have a feeling, for 17.5s at least, there won't be a huge difference between motors. I don't think like in the brushed days you'll have the one fast motor. I think different motor/ESC combos will me suited for some drivers kinda like how cars are now. When I compared the Hacker to my Novak 17.5, they felt different but my lap times were the same. I expect something similar here. It will depend on how easy the motor is to get where I need it to be that will determine if I like it or not.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
You have your Vortex already (I assume) and I have one on the way. So you may have some first hand experience...But to say you don't have to play with gearing or timing is like saying your cars kit set up is perfect for every condition and shouldn't need changing. I fully plan on playing with the gearing and timing to best suit how I like to drive and my track layout. I am running a Hacker 17.5 now, and I will do a side by side comparison to see for myself. Not saying your wrong though... I just think, like your car, your motor needs tuning/setting up.
Of course you have to play with timing and gearing to get the best out of your motor, that is absolutely true. In fact, I spent a whole raceday to make my Vortex2008/Tekin RS combo as fast as my LRP 3.5(12,5mm)/ISTC combo, by changing timing on both the speedo and the motor, gearing and other settings on the esc. I ended up with the LRP combo.

what i was trying to say is that if you come up with a new product, then i would expect that the new product performs better than the old one. Just have a look at the Reedy Race pics, from what I've seen and heard, everybody driving a Vortex picked the old one over the new one. And if team drivers do not know how to make this motor fast, then who does? But we'll see whether Team Orion will come up with another rotor that fits the new motors better then the current one. Of course it could be that i got a motor from the first batch, but i have no info about the difference between the first batch motors and motors from the second batch.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Of course you have to play with timing and gearing to get the best out of your motor, that is absolutely true. In fact, I spent a whole raceday to make my Vortex2008/Tekin RS combo as fast as my LRP 3.5(12,5mm)/ISTC combo, by changing timing on both the speedo and the motor, gearing and other settings on the esc. I ended up with the LRP combo.

what i was trying to say is that if you come up with a new product, then i would expect that the new product performs better than the old one. Just have a look at the Reedy Race pics, from what I've seen and heard, everybody driving a Vortex picked the old one over the new one. And if team drivers do not know how to make this motor fast, then who does? But we'll see whether Team Orion will come up with another rotor that fits the new motors better then the current one. Of course it could be that i got a motor from the first batch, but i have no info about the difference between the first batch motors and motors from the second batch.
Yeah...mine should be here this week. I have high hopes so I hope it works well.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

From my experience you can use novak rotors.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ive always pondered whether or not the novak rotors could fit, as most of us know there are not alot of aftermarket parts/rotors available for the older style vortex, which is a real shame. Orion didnt advertise alot of technical information for the vortex ei. size of the bearings, dia. of rotor, etc...
Old 06-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Just got my 17.5 in today. Not sure if will run well but it definately looks good
Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What rotor does the 6.5 motor comes with? sintered or bonded?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.