Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 1/10th scale electric car to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

WD40, the reason you get told to check what people at your club uses, and what has great parts support for you, is that is the most important factor for you.

At our track, the fastest guy uses a TOP Photon. He beats us every time. The field has TC6's, T3's a 416WE, a TC5 and my XI. Last meeting the fast guy turned up with an old t2 008, and guess what? He still spanked us.

It's practice, setup knowledge, and skill that makes a car win. Not the car.

Even if you take the fact rccartips gave you that tamiya has won 4 worlds, was it the chassis? The particular motor or esc/software? The battery? Nope, I bet the same driver would have won so long as they were running the top stuff from any manufacturer.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One with four wheels

The ones with three aren't half as good...
Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What color of anodized aluminum is your favorite? if you cant decided on the top few cars, this might be the deciding factor
Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Regional Moderator

At least this thread hasn't degenerated into "run what I run because it's the best", usually by a sponsored driver.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

GET A TC4 , AND CALL IT A DAY !!!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

bump

Last edited by WD40; 04-18-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WD40
Ok let me rephrase my question so somehow I can get SOMEONE to answer the actual question: hmmmm it seems this is going to be tougher than i thought.

Of the 5 cars I listed earlier, if the same driver had equal time with all of the cars to put his best setup on each car for 1 particualar track and 1 particular driver, then which one would post the best lap times if the SAME driver were racing all of them? It really is not that hard of a question. But I'm sure I'll get a bunch of no answers again. I do appreciate all you guys trying to help. And I'm not taking the fact that the parts selection and driver help at the track is not the most important thing....I agree with that. I just want someone to answer my question.
I dont think anyone, or at least very few, have done that personally. So anything you get is speculation. IMO Tamiya and X-Ray are tops but I dont have extensive experience with either and none with the rest.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I really can understand you. When I started three years ago, I was like: "Hey, which car has the best performance? I buy it!"
Sadly it is not like that, because all actual cars have the same performance. I know that is not satisfying, but the truth.

But to make it easier: Since Awesomatrix is in the game with the A700 they are pretty much up front with some drivers that maybe wouldn't be that high in places. I know people will start to lapidate me now, but I just speak out my impression. It is a revolutionary car with some very clever solutions. So you should take a closer look at it.

What I with my experience would ask now is: "Which TC is easy to drive , forgives little mistakes running on the limit and is fast to adapt to different tracks?"

Knowing only my TC6, I think this car is easy to drive even with a bad setup. Therefore I sometimes have to change a lot on the setup to make it fast on new tracks.

Hope this helps a little bit...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ok let me rephrase my question so somehow I can get SOMEONE to answer the actual question: hmmmm it seems this is going to be tougher than i thought.

Of the 5 cars I listed earlier, if the same driver had equal time with all of the cars to put his best setup on each car for 1 particualar track and 1 particular driver, then which one would post the best lap times if the SAME driver were racing all of them? It really is not that hard of a question. But I'm sure I'll get a bunch of no answers again. I do appreciate all you guys trying to help. And I'm not taking the fact that the parts selection and driver help at the track is not the most important thing....I agree with that. I just want someone to answer my question.
It is a hard question to answer...impossible in fact...because I don't think that scenario has rver existed. The only way to get the answer you want is to buy all 5 kits and run them back to back to back to back to back.. like you described. No one (probably) has or will do this because it would cost a fortune. And even still, there are subjective factors like driver preference and etc. That would confound any rankings or ratings generated from such a test.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bishop
The one with the fastest driver, which is often dictated by what brand could afford that fastest driver.
+1

Pick your favorite color based on whatever criteria you decide is important, i.e. durability/maintenance, parts support, aesthetics, options, setup support, shocks, price, fit/finish, tuning features, ease to work on, etc. You can even weight the criteria as you see fit.

For high end TCs, the driver's skill and car's setup will predominately determine the performance of the car.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

This may help you. Go through and see what the top drivers are running. Keep in mind that the data here is mostly from the states' and, on the top level, is determined largely by sponsorship activity (some brands just don't have aggressive sponsorship programs in the states'). There are multiple pages, so go through them and pick the classes that are closest to whatever you'll be racing.

http://rcprogear.com/
Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Here, I'll answer it for you.

Heat One:

1) XRAY T3 2012
2) Serpent s411
3) Hot Bodies TCX
4) TOP Photon
5) Tamiya TRF417x

Heat Two:

1) Serpent s411
2) Hot Bodies TCX
3)TOP Photon
4) Tamiya TRF417x
5) XRAY T3 2012

Heat Three:

1) Hot Bodies TCX
3) TOP Photon
3) Tamiya TRF417x
4) XRAY T3 2012
5) Serpent s411

Heat Four:

1) TOP Photon
2) Tamiya TRF417x
3) XRAY T3 2012
4) Serpent s411
5) Hot Bodies TCX

Heat Five:

1) Tamiya TRF417x
2) XRAY T3 2012
3) Serpent s411
4) Hot Bodies TCX
5) TOP Photon

And all the way down. Make sense?

Basically, on any given day, at any given time, on any given track, any of those chassis could beat any of the other ones, all else equal. If you can't understand this simple fact, then just throw five cards into a hat with the names of those cars on em and pick one. It really, really, really won't make a difference. If you're fast, you're gonna be fast with any car. If you're slow, you're gonna be slow with any car.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I get it now, he wants to be one of 'those' RC guys...

Come on, we all know it, or have seen it, that one guy around the club scene, he buys car X cause Fred told him it was the fastest, then buys car Y cause car X let him down and Ted said car Y was faster...

Then it's 3 years later, and he's chasing the magic bullet, you know 'the' car that will magically give him the .5 advantage, only problem is he spends the next 5 years buying and selling cars trying to find something most know is not there.

Seriously dude, don't be 'that' guy, buy cars for lots of silly but better reasons, like you love the colour, or it's easier to work on, but don't chase the magic bullet...

(And more seriously, don't be the guy who looks for others to make up their minds for them on what to buy either, your talking like someone who wants other people to blame if whatever you buy does not work for you.)
Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
I get it now, he wants to be one of 'those' RC guys...

Come on, we all know it, or have seen it, that one guy around the club scene, he buys car X cause Fred told him it was the fastest, then buys car Y cause car X let him down and Ted said car Y was faster...

Then it's 3 years later, and he's chasing the magic bullet, you know 'the' car that will magically give him the .5 advantage, only problem is he spends the next 5 years buying and selling cars trying to find something most know is not there.

Seriously dude, don't be 'that' guy, buy cars for lots of silly but better reasons, like you love the colour, or it's easier to work on, but don't chase the magic bullet...

(And more seriously, don't be the guy who looks for others to make up their minds for them on what to buy either, your talking like someone who wants other people to blame if whatever you buy does not work for you.)
Everything you just said could not be further from the truth. I am actually a very loyal buyer who after buying a car sticks with it for a long long time. I just want to make sure that whatever I decide to get is something I will have success with. I have only owned 2 cars that I have raced over my 10 years of racing.....a tc3 and a losi JRX-S. And this is why I am asking these things, because I had a great experience with the tc3 (my favorite car ever). But times were a changing and I decided to go with the new losi JRX-S (very bad mistake). But even though the JRX-S was flawwed IMO, I stuck with it and even won many races with it. But I would have had a much better experience if I had gotten an XRAY instead of a JRX-S. I'm just trying to make a good first decisison becasue these things cost money you know.

So everything you said was completely opposite of what I am trying to do.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

[...]

Of the 5 cars I listed earlier, if the same driver had equal time with all of the cars to put his best setup on each car for 1 particualar track and 1 particular driver, then which one would post the best lap times if the SAME driver were racing all of them? It really is not that hard of a question.

[...]
That is the most stupid question ever asked on this forum. Yet, you've had some good answers (see below one)

Originally Posted by hyujmn

[...]

If you're fast, you're gonna be fast with any car. If you're slow, you're gonna be slow with any car.

Dude, we get it. Money, decision, stick with your choice, got it.

YOU don't get it. Every time a thread like this starts (and they do start way too often) the final answer is go to your local track (or wherever you intend to race) and talk to the locals there. There's no point buying car X because it just won the worlds if the only way you can get parts for it is ordering overseas and having to wait for six weeks for parts to show up in the mail. Don't be a dickhead. People have told you quite nicely the truth.

None of the cars on your list will disappoint you. I dare say, if you haven't raced in ten years, any of those cars is way better than you are. The only real problem with any of them is how quickly you can get parts where you are for the car you choose. It is as simple as that.

And move quickly because if you take this much time to understand something simple like this, it will take you forever to decide which radio, which ESC, what battery, servo and so on.

Might I suggest you don't buy anything just yet, but put everything on a list and see if your desires match your budget first. You might have a nasty surprise. Some call it reality check.

Good luck.

Geez, what a dumb question!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.