Search

oneways...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
is it better than a spool for rubber tire or VTA
It will get you more off power steering, which seems to be what most guys a re looking for. I switched to a oneway in my car and I like it a lot.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Been trying to find that magic diff that will give me the mid corner speed of a oneway and stability of a spool. Who would have thought that the car can still turn with a solid front diff? I use spool for asphalt and tried oneways, but I need that stability when fighting for a corner to take different lines. I feel oneways force you to take one particular line through a corner. It is fast, but comes with a price.

Spools have the best on power steering of them. The front tires will pull the chassis forward to a point that it will try to straighten out by the means of swinging out the rear. This results in a controlled oversteer that almost never spin out. I find oneways good on a sweeping track and spool for those tight technical ones.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

any oneways for sale?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
3 On power but only around corners. This is interesting. Now the outside wheel needs to travel around a larger circle, therefore a longer distance, but in the same time as the rest of the car (hence the other wheels) because it is attached to the car! It needs then to spin faster than the drive applied by the one way, and the one way can't stop it. It will therefore spin faster but not pull the car. On the contrary, the car will be pushing it. This is freewheeling. The inside wheel on the other hand will just spin as fast as the oneway is spinning because it has no other choice. The car will therefore pull with three wheels, the outer front coming along for the ride. The difference to a car with balldiffs is that there will be no slippage in the front diff so the entire power delivered by the motor will go to the front inside wheel and the rear wheels, so the rear diff won't be tempted to slip because the front wheel is doing the hard work of pulling the car at the speed imposed by the motor. I will admit is a bit more complicated than this but for now I'll leave it here.
With the amount of slip(wheelspin) in TC racing the outside front will not be freerolling. Both front wheels will be driving (and slipping a bit) on power.

Off power, Then you have a 2wd. Good steering and a handbrake! great for doing 180's into a hairpin.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
With the amount of slip(wheelspin) in TC racing the outside front will not be freerolling. Both front wheels will be driving (and slipping a bit) on power.

Off power, Then you have a 2wd. Good steering and a handbrake! great for doing 180's into a hairpin.
I think you're close to the truth there. I think the front wheels will find some balance between driving and slipping. In less powerfull classes (such as 540 or even stock maybe) things will actually be closer to the theory outlined above.

Nice way to put it and exactly right about handbrake turns.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
I think you're close to the truth there. I think the front wheels will find some balance between driving and slipping. In less powerfull classes (such as 540 or even stock maybe) things will actually be closer to the theory outlined above.

Nice way to put it and exactly right about handbrake turns.
I agree that it depends on your motor, traction levels and surface. I tend to first think of rubber asphalt. A 540 on carpet with foams would probably not slide at all.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Rubber on asphalt is yuck. I race on carpet and we're not using foams because it would destroy the carpet, but really good tires will stick very well ( a lot of people have traction roll problems every now and then, mostly when tires are brand new, but anyway, you get the gist of how much grip we have).
Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 AM
arj
Tech Rookie

So what sort of front axle works with a centre one-way? Spool, front one-way or diff?

I'm racing 540, rubber on asphalt. Pretty technical track with only a few fast corners.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

For rubber tire on asphalt you don't need a one-way anywhere in the car...standard layshaft, rear diff, front spool. One-ways are predominantly used in foam tire carpet racing where grip is extremely high and you need aggressive turn-in. That much turn-in on an asphalt rubber car and you will more than likely be doing 180's...the front spool will tame the turn-in and at the same time make the car pull hard out of the corner. Use the rear diff to fine-tune rotation through the center of the corner.

-rocky b
Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by flatspunout
For rubber tire on asphalt you don't need a one-way anywhere in the car...standard layshaft, rear diff, front spool. One-ways are predominantly used in foam tire carpet racing where grip is extremely high and you need aggressive turn-in. That much turn-in on an asphalt rubber car and you will more than likely be doing 180's...the front spool will tame the turn-in and at the same time make the car pull hard out of the corner. Use the rear diff to fine-tune rotation through the center of the corner.
I think you mean rubber tire on carpet? Foam tire on carpet is almost exclusively double diffs.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Adam?
I think you mean rubber tire on carpet? Foam tire on carpet is almost exclusively double diffs.
No, I think he's right. But you might be right too. Foam has such grip though that you'd be slipping the diffs easily on carpet and in more powerful classes you'd be rebuilding diffs every race. That being said, at our track hardly anyone uses oneways because they tend to be more difficult to drive consistently. And not because they can't set up the cars properly but because anything that's going wrong (with the car, the driving or just with the cars ont he track at one time) is going to be amplified by a one way and result in more time lost than when they have balldiffs. My experience shows that one small mistake in a race with a oneway can take away all the time you've made running all those smooth laps before and after.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adam?
I am with Adam on this one. I personally thought it was just diffs with foam as well. I never heard of anyone running a oneway with foam.

Last edited by Yeti35; 03-27-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

double diffs?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm confused Can someone explain or compare front direct coupling vs front one way? The two look the same from Tamiya.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RielTime Racing
I'm confused Can someone explain or compare front direct coupling vs front one way? The two look the same from Tamiya.
are you talking about a spool oneway?
thats what I use in my rubber T2 13.5 TC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.