Wiki Posts
Search

Blue Groove Traction

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Blue Groove Traction

I did a search and got endless debate on what tires are best for Blue Groove. Everything from Crime Fighters to Inside Jobs have been suggested. I have a set of Crime Fighters, and they didn't do too well once they blew the dust off the track. I'd just like to hear more opinions on alternate tire choices for 8th scale buggy. The track is ever changing, we have some pretty bad thunder storms around here, sometimes 2 inches in two hours! Right now I have step pins for loamy, crime fighters for less loamy, and I'm curious about the inside jobs for blue groove...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

On a blue groove track nothing beats the Panther Switches. We use those indoors on blue groove in CLAY compound. Use a firm insert. Also if your track allows it try a set of Pink Tapers from Losi. Those are nice on blue groove, but suck to build because you use 1/10 scale truck tires and monster truck foams. I think Panther is coming out with another version of the Switch too that has a few more wider pins through the center of the tire. Hope that helped.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Thank you, I'm looking for 8th scale buggy tires, are the Losi Tapers available for them? I searched and couldn't find anything but 10th scale stuff. Where is a good place to find 8th scale tires premounted? I found them a Tower and A-main, in fact, these were the first ones suggested:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7832

So far, these are my choice, I just wanted to hear about other options, and places to get them.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

r40, what chad is talking about with the losi tires - you have to cut the bead off of them and using the panther green foams works better than monster truck foam. But in general, you want to use a stiffer foam with these types of tires. You have to use the 1/10 scale tires because, there are no 1/8 scale taper pins.

If you are running on a blue groove track, panther switch 2.0, cut losi tapers or m3 inside jobs are the best. I'm going to say you run on an outdoor track too, you might want to look into a medium compound, like m2 from pro line or medium-soft from panther. Don't quote me on that, see what the fast guys at your track are running though before you buy anything.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah, I never really liked the inside jobs and I like the Switches. The new ones have a row missing off the sides to reduce side roll on the tire. Not to steer you from amain but you can get 4 switches mounted from carolinasrc I think for $40 versus $30 for two mounted. The tapers that OS is talking about is the same setup I was trying to explain. I think from the Dirtburner days, sounds like. The green foams from panther he talks of are I think hard to get or discontined so if you score a set of 4 don't let them go.

Let me know if you have any questions, Chad
Old 11-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

yes the good ol' dirtburner days

you can get the green foams, they are made by werks racing now. The ofnas work well too.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

the green foams are available from werks racing now instead of panther.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Tech Initiate

use the crime fighters with bomb 1 inserts and put duct tape around
the inside of the tire
Old 11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Well, my crimefighters seem to completely go to crap through out the raceday. As the blue groove became more apparent, my steering became less and less... I told another local racer, and he suggested the Inside Jobs. I just wanted to know what other people thought, and what else was out there. Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Oh, and I'm looking just for pre-mounts. I've had enough fun mounting my own...and don't plan on doing it again.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

are you talking about B&T? ask don knapp, he should be able to point you in the right direction. at last years battle, pro-line knuckles worked pretty good.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Yes I am, and yah Don's car WAS on rails the other night. I thought I broke something, and couldn't figure out what was up with my steering. Yesterday we swung by there to see if our parts came in, and I ended up talking to another racer. He's the one who suggested the inside jobs. Don suggested the King Headz clutch shoes, which I ordered, and now I'm waiting for those and the new clutch bell...hopefully, the new tires and clutch will get my handling back...although, with the way the weather was this afternoon, the crimefighters may be the ticket again.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How long are your mains? anything over 30 minutes the "indoor" tires could be toast. If your blue groove is anything like we have, real hard dirt that is allmost hard as concrete. For that type of groove we have had good success with crimefighters or knuckles.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Knuckles work pretty good. The past two weekends I have ran Werks Racing "Ws" and I really like them, I would give them a try.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Champion

Our mains are 15 minutes, and I was running the Crimefighter M2s. It's been sugested that I use nothing but M3 compounds, but these were what the LHS had. It was just starting to really blue groove when I was starting to lose traction. Today, we had 2 inches of rain, so I bet it's like soup or fudge right now...
Old 11-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey anyone mention B & T? Thats the track I race at too! I can imagine the track will not be ready until atleast next Monday after today's rain. It must have rained 2 to 3 inches in Crestview today.
See yall at the races.
Later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.