Wiki Posts
Search

Buying from Hong Kong ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Wink

I have been getting some things from HKG over the past 3 months and I`m not even slightly worried about the SARS Crud.. ...you can live in a box forever you know.

my 2 Yen

-Dave
Old 05-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Adept

In case you are really worry, clean everything with medical use alcohol. According to study, the virus will be killed in 5 seconds. If you still worry, as mentioned before, keep the parcel you get for another 3 or 4 days before you feel it is safe.

Anyway, hope everybody free from this problem.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

What can I say, I'd rather be safe then sorry. This sars stuff will keep going for ages, sooner or later I'll get fed up and just order the stuff.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I currently have about 3 packages in transit from Hong Kong.
Worried?YES!!!
i was worried about slower delivery times,
not the virus.
simply bcos if the virus is somehow on the parcel,wouldnt the seller be hospitalised by now?
I have been told that infection requires a substantial amount of virus to be transferred to the victim,it's not like one virus kills one person.
In times like these , it's important to carry on as usual as we best can,lest the virus will take away our lives although we live.
God Bless Hong Kong,and all affected countries.

PS.death rate for a healthy adult due to SARS complications is about 1.5-2%
Across the age spectrum,it's 3%.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

There is no reason to be worried about any sort of diseases or anything coming from a package overseas. US customs screens EVERY package and if they suspect even the smallest thing they will seize the package and take the proper action, especially after 9/11 they are super strict. There has not been even 1 case of sars in the USA, you have a better chance of winning the lottery, getting bitten by a shark, and getting struck by lightning all on the same day than becoming the first person in the USA to catch sars. If you purposely avoid buying from overseas because of sars, you're very paranoid .

I am into airsoft and I buy parts and whatnot from Hong Kong all the time.

Last edited by Accord; 05-06-2003 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:09 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Well put Accord...next time I buy my lottery ticket I'll keep my eye out for those sharks!!
Old 05-06-2003, 07:04 AM
fai
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by dtm
Well put Accord...next time I buy my lottery ticket I'll keep my eye out for those sharks!!
HaHa!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

check out www.jethobby.com
Old 05-06-2003, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default SARS

It's okay to be scared!!

But actually you have nothing to worry about.

The SARS Virus, survives only for 3 hours on the surface. if touched or handled by a SARS infected person. If in a container or closed box, give or take 5-10 hours (it does not take 10hours for your package to arrive-right)

Then, alcohol is not that effective on killing the Virus on the surface and even on the the skin. For the surface, Its better to use, pure (meaning not diluted wioth water) CLOROX/bleach or in scientific term, Sodium Hypochlorite. For the skin, its best to use something that has benzalconium chloride mixed with alcohol.

Place the CLOROX in a spray bottle and spray it over the package, let it stand for 2 hours. (the clorox/bleach dries out the cell wall of the virus and it dies)

when you open your package, if you are still scared(which you dont have to be), open it in a ventilated area, wear a mask and spray its contents with clorox again and let it stand. Just dont spray CLOROX on bare RC parts, it might ruin it, hehehehehe

So no worries guys!! I order from catalog.RCmodel.com.hk

Its okay to be scared if you do not know what you are scared of, so now you know and ORDER and have fun Racing!!!!!

PEACE to all men!!!!

PS:just attended a SARS prevention/education seminar for doctors

Last edited by lem2; 05-06-2003 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Not scared, just wary..
Old 05-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Talking haha

If you gotta go you gotta go, but you can do it with a smile on your face!!! Imagine this; you ordered a very nice piece of material and the moment you open it you're infected(boy where do I keep getting t imagination??), but at least you saw that ine piece of material!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was just browsing some HK r/c websites, the prices aren't that much cheaper at all, and for some things prices are actually more expensive than buying domestic!

Support your LHS!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Hey guys, I was in HK 3 weeks ago, the SARS virus is a serious mater, but don't get paranoid about it.
HK is doing every thing to prevent the spread of the virus (and so are other countries such as Australia) but the media have beat this story up so much so that ppl wouldn't get bored with the boring war that was happening.
The virus in HK is mainly in 1 area well away from the main public and the hobby shops that you will deal with.

To check your concerns with the virus, go to the World Health Organisation web site and read up a little about it.

Half of HK ppl don't wear face masks (neither did I), because it won't stop you getting the virus, you are better to pay more attention to your hygene (keep your hands clean) and avoid prolonged contact (spending days) with ppl infected.

As far as parcels go, don't sweat, you will have more chance of driving to the moon.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

I just purchased 2 Airtronics 357 servo's for my NTC3 2 weeks ago for $140...and shipping ran me $9. I received the package 5 days later and I'm not sick..cough...couch...couch...croak!

Old 05-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow !!! I want to thank all you guy's for your answers to my concern. I feel a whole lot better about this purchase now.
Normally I don't have a need to buy anything outside of the U.S. but in this case it's an item that is unavailable here. You know how us collectors are !!!! . Thanks again, I'm glad we're all looking out for each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.