Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question???? >

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I'm ready to post rules for what I think are the 6 legit 1/10 pan car chassis options.

The GTs should include any 2 door body that was raced in the last 10 years. Of those Tamiya and HPI make the most realistic. TD is right on about the McCallister Ferrari. The 2 legal and in production Protoform bodies and the Parma DB9 are very nice options too, but the Protoform Sophia (Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione) technically was never raced.
what about the corvette? I am in agrreance you should clean up the thread and make it GT2 for 13.5 1s
Old 09-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tulsa TC3
what about the corvette? I am in agrreance you should clean up the thread and make it GT2 for 13.5 1s
The protoform Vette is definitely legit. Its been raced in GT2 for sure.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Rookie

nice
Old 09-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

before a silly person tries to make their own rules here is the FIA way to determinate roughly what a GT car should look like.

"A Grand Touring car is an open or closed automobile which has no more than one door on each side, has no more than four seats, is fully legal for road use and has been modified to ensure suitablity for speed races on circuits or closed courses. A GT car is a road car adapted for racing and not a racing car adapted for the road..........the car must be genuinely designed and built for use on the road. To ensure the validity of the rule the FIA further insists that all cars taking part in the GT Championship must be properly homologated for road use.."
Old 09-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MatsNorway
before a silly person tries to make their own rules here is the FIA way to determinate roughly what a GT car should look like.

"A Grand Touring car is an open or closed automobile which has no more than one door on each side, has no more than four seats, is fully legal for road use and has been modified to ensure suitablity for speed races on circuits or closed courses. A GT car is a road car adapted for racing and not a racing car adapted for the road..........the car must be genuinely designed and built for use on the road. To ensure the validity of the rule the FIA further insists that all cars taking part in the GT Championship must be properly homologated for road use.."
Sounds good to me. Nothing silly about having one chassis that can fit so many different specifications and a many are trying to call them all the same thing. What's the rule for the number or chassis that must be produced? Once upon a time it was 500 roadworthy units.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:47 AM
Tech Addict

That, i do not know.

I guess allowing the lot is ok for GT1, as long as the car did not compete in what would be something similar to the prototype class we have know.

CLK GTR, porsche GT1 and nissan R390 f. ex. does all have a street legal versions but these are race cars made street legal.

Thats a nono.

Now FIA have a balance of performance test giving the "supercars" extra weight or smaller wings. (maserati MC12) Reducing wing size would in fact be very effective because its easy to controll and its a cheap way to try get some variation in the bodies.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MatsNorway
That, i do not know.

I guess allowing the lot is ok for GT1, as long as the car did not compete in what would be something similar to the prototype class we have know.

CLK GTR, porsche GT1 and nissan R390 f. ex. does all have a street legal versions but these are race cars made street legal.

Thats a nono.

Now FIA have a balance of performance test giving the "supercars" extra weight or smaller wings. (maserati MC12) Reducing wing size would in fact be very effective because its easy to controll and its a cheap way to try get some variation in the bodies.

Now if we could just get a body maker to produce them for us in fairly decent detail!

I'm still set on calling my car officially a "GT2 1S 13.5 indoor". I also agree that this spec is as slow as these cars should ever go.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think we can all agree that there needs to be a spec that can keep speeds relatively low but to at least allow for some level of challenge. 1S 13.5 is very workable (good racing down in Vegas), but the problem is that there isnt really anyplace to go to once youve gotten quite good with that particular spec. (hence the idea of a GT1 and a GT2 class) and still allow for a high fun factor.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I think we can all agree that there needs to be a spec that can keep speeds relatively low but to at least allow for some level of challenge. 1S 13.5 is very workable (good racing down in Vegas), but the problem is that there isnt really anyplace to go to once youve gotten quite good with that particular spec. (hence the idea of a GT1 and a GT2 class) and still allow for a high fun factor.
I agree, GT2, GT1 then convert to 235 and go for broken... I mean broke.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You guys are killing the class(World GT) before it really catches on. It's hard enought to get racers to come to races and now you want to divide it into two classes.
We will open up the batteries in our series to any single cell battery with a 13.5 motor.
My chassis is now about 9-10 years old and very few ever sold.The company is out of business and its very competitive (for me).Speaking of bodies with basically one body company making bodies what do you expect in this bad ecomony?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

bullfrog, they better not kill it. i'm less than 2 weeks from running the series.. if there is a problem with the class, as i see it, it's that it seems like the folks making the rules and the specs run indoors, yet the vast majority of rc racing is outdoors where tracks tend to be bigger and faster..
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
You guys are killing the class(World GT) before it really catches on. It's hard enought to get racers to come to races and now you want to divide it into two classes.
We will open up the batteries in our series to any single cell battery with a 13.5 motor.
My chassis is now about 9-10 years old and very few ever sold.The company is out of business and its very competitive (for me).Speaking of bodies with basically one body company making bodies what do you expect in this bad ecomony?
Nobody is trying to kill anything BF...if anything we're trying to think of ways to allow the class to get bigger. As tally said, most RC racing is outdoors. We're simply thinking outside of the box. 1s/13.5 is a good spec (much to my chagrin since I had to work hard just to get up to the 4C/13.5 spec, but Im flexible). What next though? There isnt any room for advancement (getting back to the oft mentioned debate of guys staying in stock that should be running mod etc). By having the original spec (1S/13.5) that can be a good ground floor level to start from. For those who are looking for something a little faster maybe...2S/10.5 (say as GT1). Gives people something to shoot for as they can step up and run with faster guys. If a track only wants to run WGT/GT2 then thats their prerogative. whatever can get the most people out. I know you want to grow the class as much as possible and there is nothing wrong with that. We're all on the same team here and nobody wants to kill anything
Old 09-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BullFrog
BullFrog, that's not the intention. It all started earlier in this thread when some of our friends started calling all 1/10 pan cars 'WGT'. The problems is that they consider 1/10 pan cars as 235mm wide pan unlimited in comparison to the spec we run. To confuse it even further they just ran 2 WGT classes at IIC, both 1S. Our European and Australian RC brothers would rather run these same cars, same bodies but with 2S lipo outdoors on 8th scale nitro tracks. To add to that there is an existing Pro 10 class which is a throw back to 20 years ago. All I'm saying is there needs to be a naming convention for the various 1/10 pan car specs. I will be running the current 'WGT' 13.5 1S spec with a legal body. I raced tonight inside on carpet and it was a blast. Now if I ran outdoor and the straights were 150' long and the track was more flowing, I would have had fun, but it might have felt slower.

That's all. Just an identity crisis.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

yeah in every country it is different.

Here it is for outdoors
1-STOCK : pancar maximium 235mm width stock 10.5t with 2s lipo (and probably next year only a selection of bodies to chose from)
2-MODIFIED: pancar maximum width 235mm 2s lipo with whatever motor and body

We have a National Championship as a demonstration class this year and next year there will be a full National Championship.

For this years INDOOR there are plans to run:
200mm pancar 2s with 13.5t and GT bodies ( so not WGT as the rules state)

Our neighbours are running outdoors ( if i am not mistaken)
1-STOCK: 200mm pancar 2s with 13.5t with 200mm bodies.
2-MODIFIED: pancar maximum width 235mm modified 2s lipo with whatever motor and body.

It works out pretty good nationally although it is a little different from country to country. It is not one class world wide but that is to be expected. Personally i don't see a problem. Like is being said before the wgt name is a little confusing.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Wink

1s/ 13.5 to 2s/ 10.5 is a helluva jump in speed.. 2s/13.5 would outrun mod touring here in the us on most tracks.. let alone 10.5... here in the US just run the damn specs as they are till the class gets some participation them dream of going faster and splitting into two factions will ya? look i don't like the specs either. i'm used to running and prefer my wide (235mm) car with 2s and a 10.5, i love my wgt with 2s/ 17.5 or 13.5, but in order to grow th class i am willing to show up and run the dang things AS ESTABLISHED.. i just want to race something other than another touring car class as second class..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.