Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why saddle and not stick?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Why saddle and not stick?

Why do all the racers use saddle, side by c=side config on their batteries, wats wrong with sticks with the same batteries. I mean if i bought some reedy real time and i had the same batteries in a stick or saddle. Why would most people pick saddle? ive been racing for a while and i am becoming smarter with them but that question has been in me head for a while. I mean isnt a saddle heavier, imean u need shoegoo, blus 5/7 bars.

thank you
Old 10-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sushi Man
Why do all the racers use saddle, side by c=side config on their batteries, wats wrong with sticks with the same batteries. I mean if i bought some reedy real time and i had the same batteries in a stick or saddle. Why would most people pick saddle? ive been racing for a while and i am becoming smarter with them but that question has been in me head for a while. I mean isnt a saddle heavier, imean u need shoegoo, blus 5/7 bars.

thank you
are you referring to matched or unmatched batteries?
if not, then itz just the matter of the layout of the chassis. I run a Xray Fk04, and i prefer using sadle packs because of the efficiency and the balance it provides to the car itself. I would provide more reasoning but im not sure whether your referring to matched or unmatched packs?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

i am reffering to an example of reedy realtime matched
well imean i understand balance but effeciancy?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Actually, hand soldered packs are *generally* more efficient than stick packs, because there is a higher quality connection. From what I understand and have heard, they use really cheap, almost sheet metal, type of stuff, and solder it like a battery bar, and just fold it over so the cells are in line instead of side by side. Another thing, us you can equalize side by side packs, which makes sure they stay matched for longer, since they are consistently hitting their personal cell peak at the same time. I can site more examples, but I have to do homework!
-Josh
Old 10-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default no leads

The best racers where we race use saddle because they don't have any wires and connectors on their battery packs. They build their packs so the tabs/terminals on one neg side and one pos side stick up and they solder their ESC wires right to the battery, not using any deans or tamiya plugs.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

oh i forgot about that, discharging single cells, but then there really isnt much of a differece. I mean if u made ur own stick pack, wich u can.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

dont forget a lower center of gravity because the saddle packs can actually sit into the chassis where the bottom of the cells are flush with the bottom of the chassis, whereas the stick packs is about 3 millimeters higher generally speaking
Old 10-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

well i see, dependson chassis too. well anyways. Ive noticed that the GP 3700 batteries are a little bit bigger then the 3300. Since they will not fit perfectly on my EVo 3. Has anyone noticed this too?. I think this is a big problem becuase the batteries are not as close to the ground and can easily come off too.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

i noticed with my side by side packs the total length of the packs are about 1/4" longer on the GP3700s versus the GP3300s
Old 10-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah, what can I do about this, it does not fit in my chassis?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

grind, file, and grind some more ...dont take my word for it though...u might want some more input before you go through with it
Old 10-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

oh i forgot about that, discharging single cells, but then there really isnt much of a differece. I mean if u made ur own stick pack, wich u can.
Proper discharge have 2 steps. 1. Discharge to 5.4 V for the pack. 2. Equalize each cells individually. Well, at least it will keep your battery performance. And no way for a stick pack cells to be equalized individually.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

I see now, but i am still concerned about he size difference on the 3700 GP cells, i dont think files and stuff will work all!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Newer cells will not fit because they are just slightly larger but over the entire pack it adds up. All the newer chassis coming out now adays all have the ability to fit these larger cells.

Now onto your original post.
We use the ladder style battery layout because it allows us to use individual cell dischargers and equalizing trays. The reasons why we use them are just a few but important if you want to race at a regional level or above..
1) By equalizing each cell before you charge it allows each cell to get a better charge, which translates to more Mah and Voltage both giving you better proformance while racing..
2) By discharging each cell individualy it allows the pack to stay matched longer, which translates to having those expensive matched last longer before having to replace them.

NOW if you are only racing at a club level and have no desire to pursue a higher level of racing than stick with your stick packs, although I wouldn't suggest wasting too much on matched packs cause they will loose their proformance gain much more quickly than a ladder style.
I believe the only reason why they even match stick packs is to offer the guys who run the chassis's that require stick packs the option of having the best packs.
Other than that most guys will agree the ladder style is best.
-Shookie <><
I see now, but i am still concerned about he size difference on the 3700 GP cells, i dont think files and stuff will work all!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Side pack assembly allows the builder to use a higher quality battery bar resulting in lower resistance (more puch). In addition to the assembly benifits a side pack batt also allows you to equalize the cells so that they can take the best possible charge and stay in peak condition longer.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.