Wiki Posts
Search

So who "isn't" sponsored?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs

The "B-Team" is usually the local /regional fast, or above average guys, with a lower level of sponsorship (25-75%). We pay for all of our stuff, but get a discount as part of the deal. Our responsibilities are to promote the brand, provide product information to racers, answer questions, get visibility at the local / regional level, provide feedback to our sponsors regarding how the product is being used, etc... Basically, our job is to support the efforts of the "A-Team" guys, since they can't be everywhere at once.
Wish the actual sponsors would show up to some of the races to see how some of these guys act.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

I isn't sponsored! I just have what I use in sig

There is someone from my area the posts here and his sig says he is sponsored. He posts in threads like he knows what the hell he is taking about just to kick his post count up (douch) lmao hard to believe he is sponsored but hey it's all about who's butt you kiss the most is some cases lmao
Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bacchus
Wish the actual sponsors would show up to some of the races to see how some of these guys act.
Agree; I've heard some nightmare stories about some big name drivers.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default From a Distributors Point of view!!!

YES!!!! THERE ARE TOOOOOO MANY SPONSORED DRIVERS!

Part of this is the fault of some MFGs. Some of them use Regional Team to boost their sales. What is happening when they do this is they are increasing their margin by selling direct because direct they sell less than the retailer but more than wholesale. The only thing this does is hurt the retailer.

The other part is just the market. Almost everyone thinks they are fast enough and deserve it. I am from socal and started racing at Ranch Pit Shop, M&M (First Location) and some others. Back then you only had like 6 guys in socal sponsored. The big one then was Kinwald, Losi and a few others.

At Ascendancy Racing we have done the best we can to limit our sponsored drivers and push them to our retailers. We have one SWorkz Factory Driver in Taylor James and have picked up Regional Team drivers in targeted areas as we do need to market our products.

But bottom line is we are always willing to take a resume. In doing so we are always willing to take feedback from tracks and racers we sponsor. Perfect example is three weeks ago we considered a resume. In doing our follow up in that area we were given a lot of feedback and we dicided not to work with this driver.

But yes I do believe that the huge amount of sponsored drivers have hurt the hobby as a whole.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Will listing my sponsors make my info more correct than someone with a blank signature?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Privateer!!! only way to roll!! That being said, i have space for rent on my hood. Limited space only, get it while you can..lol
Old 12-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Got a 15% off grassroots coupon on a piece of trash product for trolling the boards about racing advice and dominating some club races... Therefore I'm sponsored, which entitles me to jam that terrible product down peoples throats, despite claiming to be "nonbiased", and in the end it just drives people out of the hobby and kills good brands.

--------

Too much satire? That's good raillery right there.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Peralta
Will listing my sponsors make my info more correct than someone with a blank signature?
NO lol. Having sponsors is nice, but it don't make you better then someone without any. There are many people out on tracks who are "fast" but prefer to stay nuetral. Sponsors are nice to have for you and them, putting them in ur sig just gets the name out more to help. Its basically just paying your dues when your not racing. Some contracts ask you to state them in forum signatures to spread the word a bit. Its not realy bragging rights to have them, and it don't make you any more powerful. It's just nice to help out. With these lower comapnies or up and coming its hard to get the word out. But if one guy puts a site or name in the signature it will get atleast some to look it up and maybe that will result in sales off the track. It's really just doing your part. Hard topic to really explain but it's mainly to represent the products you personally support. A sponsor don't mean you get stuff for free and your special. Some guys put companies and names in there sig just to show there appreciation and support to who helped them make it further in the hobby.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
NO lol. Having sponsors is nice, but it don't make you better then someone without any. There are many people out on tracks who are "fast" but prefer to stay nuetral. Sponsors are nice to have for you and them, putting them in ur sig just gets the name out more to help. Its basically just paying your dues when your not racing. Some contracts ask you to state them in forum signatures to spread the word a bit. Its not realy bragging rights to have them, and it don't make you any more powerful. It's just nice to help out. With these lower comapnies or up and coming its hard to get the word out. But if one guy puts a site or name in the signature it will get atleast some to look it up and maybe that will result in sales off the track. It's really just doing your part. Hard topic to really explain but it's mainly to represent the products you personally support. A sponsor don't mean you get stuff for free and your special. Some guys put companies and names in there sig just to show there appreciation and support to who helped them make it further in the hobby.
That's me.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809

Haha! Chris was just being sarcastic but does have a good point. Too many times someone like him who is fast and has years of racing experience along with plenty of knowledge to share isn't taken as seriously as someone with tons of RC companies in his signature. More often than not people on rctech decorate their signature with company names to look cool or feel accepted and or respected. Some do it just to list brands their loyal to as you stated. I'm cool with that but I feel everyone's opinion should be respected, sponsored or not. Yes I'm sponsored by every company listed in my sig but that doesn't make me more credible than a non sponsored guy who has been racing for 6 months. Just my two pennies...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spads11
I list the products that I use that I am really happy with and will purchase again. The cars are listed sort of as a reference for when I'm talking about issues, setups, and mods.
+1 for me.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess we will never really know who is and isn't sponsored.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think the reason why some manufacturers have a lot of sponsored drivers is because 50% team drivers get the same prices as dealer cost. For a manufacturer, they make the same amount of money on product, yet they have people promote their products more than hobby shops normally would.

Just a suggestion... don't buy into those "looking for team drivers" threads to try to get sponsored.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Rookie

+1 to 8ight-racer.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Great topic!!!!!!!! I for one am a privateer and enjoy rolling that way. I am fortunate enough that I have a career that allows me to buy what I need or desire to race 1/8 scale.

Personally I think that there are many drivers who would like to be sponsored or give the impression that they are sponsored to make themselves appear that they are faster then they really are.

I have been out of RC racing for a number of years and have just recently returned. With that being said would I like to be fully sponsored? Hell yes!!!!!!!!! The reality is that I know that I'm not a threat to win right now. I personally do not want to try and be someone that I'm not, who only gets laughed at. I've seen and heard many racers talk a good game only to let their driving ability prove otherwise. Then when questioned about it, they make excuse after excuse!!!!!!!

Be honest with your own ability! If you are good enough to be sponsored, it will get noticed. One's driving ability will always tell the real story of whether or not they should be sponsored. If you are one of the few who is good enough to receive a sponsor or two, don't be a jerk to slower drivers or yell at turn marshals because you made a mistake. A sponsor considers personal attitude just as much as driving ability. remember you will be representing that company!

At the end of the day you need to ask yourself who is paying for all the products if EVERYBODY is sponsored? Remember we got into this hobby for the fun of it. No one really makes a career of racing RC Cars. it's for fun, enjoy it while you have the ability to do it. Good luck to everyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.