Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 07:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Im gonna sell another XXXS, this is the big race car. I'm just kinda blown out on sedans at the moment, and am just gonna race offroad for a bit. I'll be back real soon, but anyone interested in one of the nicest XXXS' out there drop me a line.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Can you give me the part #'s for the black belt and the new parts needed..........I've got the old graphite one I guess

Damn, you quite racing onroad for 8 months and see what happens.......you fall behind.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by Randy Caster
Im gonna sell another XXXS, this is the big race car. I'm just kinda blown out on sedans at the moment, and am just gonna race offroad for a bit. I'll be back real soon, but anyone interested in one of the nicest XXXS' out there drop me a line.
Randy,

Good luck with the offroad thing...And the S2000...And the bike... And the girl(s)...But not necessarily in that order.

To everyone else, Randy's is the most technically advanced XXX-S I have ever seen. His milled chassis (without going all the way through the graphite) are remarkable and a sight to behold.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Im interesed in it maybe, I would like to see a picture and know the price and what it has though.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: XRC cars Touring Car Head to Head comparison

Originally posted by imjonah
I just read XRC Cars Magazine Touring Car Head to Head comparison in its current issue. (Only belt driven cars)

Quite an extensive test, including 3 drivers and three days of Racing.

Bottom line; they gave first prize to X-Ray. Losi XXX-S G+ tied with Tamya for second.

What hurt the XXX-S was the fact that it did not come with a one-way.

The constant complaint over 3 days and 3 drivers was lack of steering. They all said the XXX-S was stable and easy to drive and had lots of straight line speed and stabilty.

They spoke of adjusting all the cars after their first and second day but complained that they could not get rid of the XXX-S understeer. This confused me, I thought you could always adjust a car to have more steering by scarificing in some other area.

also, understeer seems to be my biggest problem with the car ... I am not sure my setup is really optimum and I know my driving is not.
We used the setups that all the Pro's used at the Reedy race, so what we ended with should have been the best setup for the car..actually all the cars. The Losi could have used the new belt system, but I decided that it was what was included in the box and it couldn't be used. The Losi is a great car, but there's a new one coming!

Last edited by DerekB; 09-12-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:43 PM
R/C Tech Founder

There was also a physical limit to how much testing we could do and still get a magazine published. Ideally we could have tested diffs, spools, one-ways and so on, but we spent a *ton* of time at the track as it was, and really suffered when deadlines rolled around.

In all, I think our results were very good. I would have picked the Losi second over the Tamiya, as I wrote in my response column, as I liked how stable it felt. But it was nowhere near as nimble as the Xray or Tamiya in that test, and the Xray deserved to win it.

Keep in mind that although there are many changes you can make to a car, there are certainly situations where you simply can't gain more steering. We tried many things and usually the negative effects (less rear traction, for example) made the car worse to drive.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I liked the review.....especially since its nothing you would ever see in RC Car Advertising....err Action.

Later EddieO
Old 09-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default XXX-S Belt Tensioner binding

Hi all,

I am in the middle of building my first Losi kit and I find that when installing the Belt Tensioner it binds with the Spur Gear. The spur gear was very snug going into the chassis. The Spur is screwed into the chassis per the manual but the tensioner just seems to be a hair wide. Is it the tensioner wheel or the bracket causing the problem?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Default It was a great article

The head to head belt driven touring car test article was really great, Thanks. It was very informative. I thought the tests were very fair. I also like the way the car reviews actually show acceleration curves and other performance data.I have bought the last two issues at the hobby store but I think I will subscribe now, I really like the magazine.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

rinkrat99....sounds like a defective part. You should be picking up a black belt kit for it though....its a HUGE difference and easily worth the $20.....

Later EddieO
Old 09-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

rinkrat,
Usually you have a washer backwards on the pully so I would take it apart and rebuild the entire thing again and pay attention to detail. I had this problem with my xxxs and xxx4. I just couldnt learn to put it together corectly.
Chris
Old 09-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: XXX-S Belt Tensioner binding

Originally posted by rinkrat99
Hi all,

I am in the middle of building my first Losi kit and I find that when installing the Belt Tensioner it binds with the Spur Gear. The spur gear was very snug going into the chassis. The Spur is screwed into the chassis per the manual but the tensioner just seems to be a hair wide. Is it the tensioner wheel or the bracket causing the problem?

Thanks
I am assuming that you are not installing the optional HD black belt kit and its longer tensioner arm.

Yes, the spur with the arm and tensioner are VERY tight upon being inserted into the chassis

Check for the below...which I have seen done a couple times on XXX-S cars.

The tensioner's white pulley wheel has different sized flanges on each side. It must be attached to the arm with the larger flange towards the arm. Otherwise, the taller flange will rub on the spur gear.

Take a look.

As EddieO says above...Get the HD black belt kit to significantly free up the drive train over what comes in the kit.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Found the problem. The bearing was not seated in the pulley thus pushing it against the spur. I reseated the bearing and now it clears just fine. The pulley does wobble though but still clears the spur.

Thanks for the hints
Old 09-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by rinkrat99
Found the problem. The bearing was not seated in the pulley thus pushing it against the spur. I reseated the bearing and now it clears just fine. The pulley does wobble though but still clears the spur.

Thanks for the hints
Good sleuthing. A little wobble is normal; but, the HD black belt kit gets the pulley wheel far away from the spur too...And gives better performance.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile THANKS BILL!

Hi Bill,

Just wana thank you today for helping me out with my setup

Needs less to say the car setup was good, but my driving was less than stellar and the practice track @ Sierra Point ate my car up... 2 trips to hobbyshop for parts, battling the wind, and after the 3rd break I was done... fun none the less. Awesome watching Lex rip around the track! Reminds me that I have a LONG way to go.

CYA around...

zoomzoom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.