Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 05:51 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by Hebiki
there's about a billion different ways to solve it according to the thread, is there a solution that works better than most? please help!
Shim the diff with 10mm shims, so that its just got enough play to run smoothly but if you put 1 more it starts 'grinding'. Different gearboxes, different # of shims required.

Then screw the cover back on, but don't overtighten the screws - barely snug tight will do. Change the screws to longer machine-threads too.

If you have the $$$ to spare, Square alloy gearbox is good.

Tech 3-piece shaft? Consensus is still out on that, but its been pretty good to me. But I think the original 1-piece is lighter and runs smoother.

And methink it helps to have Murphy on your side too. I only seem to strip a gear whenever I don't have any spares left. But when I have huge stocks and carry a few in the toolbox, the gears come back perfect. Ever since I stocked up... and did most of the above... haven't chewed a gear again.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Chris, best fix....Don't hit stuff
Old 02-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Hebiki
bubbles... let me know what you find.

hello guys. ran my evoII SE today.. stripped the hell out of my one way gear again... ran a diff up front, just dont like the feel of it.

i put back the one way, again stripped them. you guys have any good solutions to the stripping problem? i think ive read 100 of the 187 pages.

there's about a billion different ways to solve it according to the thread, is there a solution that works better than most? please help! i love my evoIII se, but if i cant get it to work, the TRF415 is gonna have to replace it

btw.. anyone have a good high bite asphalt set up?
Hebiki, I posted the solution to the problem a while back. I included pictures and a description of everything you need to do it. It totally fixes the problem for a few dollars and an hour or so of work. I've had people reply that tey didn't want to take the time (hour or so) to perform the fix, yet they spend hours replacing and checking their oneway gears after every run!!! WHY???? Sorry I don't have time to find the post right this second...
Old 02-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

here ya go chris . http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...053#post648053
Old 02-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

thanks guys. i just couldnt find the fix. i remember reading about your fix. now that i have the link.. its time to go to work!

thanks again!
Old 02-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

By the way, Tamiya have release a newly designed one-way gear to replace the old gear. It is thicker than the previous gears with same part number. It appears to be a running change and Tamiya have not mentioned it publicly. According to Rainbow 10 they are now available for sale.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Post evoIII one way gears

nice to know that they released an updated version. how would one know the good from the bad if part numbers are the same.

is it physically thicker or the material used is better?

just some questions.

tnx
Old 02-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: evoIII one way gears

Originally posted by maverick
nice to know that they released an updated version. how would one know the good from the bad if part numbers are the same.

is it physically thicker or the material used is better?

just some questions.

tnx
I don't have one just yet. A friend who also frequents this board (defMondo) may be able to better describe it. I believe he is one of the first to own the new gears.

It could be a combination of increased thickness and improved material.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

It's hard to describe but the gears are thicker around the edges, and in the center there is an area where the Carbon Fibre backing plate fits in perfectly. So once its mounted the CF plate sits flush with the back of the gear.

I think it's better then the others but still NQR (Not Quite Right).

I did one in 3 runs on sunday and didn't have any memorable hits.

Tony
Old 02-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: evoIII one way gears

Originally posted by itchynads
I don't have one just yet. A friend who also frequents this board (defMondo) may be able to better describe it. I believe he is one of the first to own the new gears.

It could be a combination of increased thickness and improved material.
Do you know if Tamiya did anything with the bevel gear? My one way gear never had any problem, it's the notch of the bevel gear I kept stripping.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

I got some pinion (bevel) gears recently and they still look the same.

I would recomend getting the lightweight drive shaft as it seems to stick out further through the pinion gear hole then the red shaft that comes with the SE.

I have heard of people doing this but I have never actually stripped one of the pinion gears.

Tony
Old 02-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by defMondo
I got some pinion (bevel) gears recently and they still look the same.

I would recomend getting the lightweight drive shaft as it seems to stick out further through the pinion gear hole then the red shaft that comes with the SE.

I have heard of people doing this but I have never actually stripped one of the pinion gears.

Tony
I think the reason why is that I have the Jürgen one-way and the square gearbox installed in the front and the combination is strong enough for the one way ring gear but now the impact force is directed to the bevel gears. The shaft strips the notch of the front bevel and the force over time strips the crown of the rear bevel gear (see picture).
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-Evolution III-dscn6702.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Wow that is impressive.

One of the earlier attempts at fixing the one way gear stripping problem was to trim the backing of that beveled gear, it maybe worth trying that and see if it helps at all.

Ie: get some side cutters with a flat back and nibble the backing off the gear so that the teeth go all the way to the back, that way if the pinion gear ever gets pushed out onto the one way gear it wont jam agains the backing.

Just a though.

Tony
Old 02-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Of course what I should really do is apply the Big Dog fix. However, I just couldn't get motivated and at the moment it seems easier just to replace the bevel gears when necessary as I still have a bunch of them in stock.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Tech Regular

All these quick fixes simply transfer the damage to another point in the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.