Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2011 "IIC" INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS LAS VEGAS >

2011 "IIC" INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS LAS VEGAS

2011 "IIC" INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS LAS VEGAS

Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
That's pretty pathetic that they will go to that extreme to cheat in a spec class, just pathetic
They have been "cheating" in spec classes all along!

How many twisted comms and hoods were seen back in the brushed days?

How many balanced arms were seen then??

How many have seen 1-2 wraps removed from the arms back then??

Now its just being done in the ESC..

God I am glad I no longer race TC's! Nitro is so much easier...lol
Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another great race!!! I am so looking to next years race. The az boys will be back at it again. Maybe round of shots every round. Thanks agian for putting on a great race!!!!!!!!! P.S. what happen to Jamie this year?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

That's pretty pathetic that they will go to that extreme to cheat in a spec class, just pathetic
I agree. The guys that bought them only bought them to see if it was legit. They would never run them in a race as they are both stand up guys....at least I tend to think so anyway. Guess if I see them smoking everyone I'll know whats up! LOL

EA
Old 10-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Actually Ive heard from several people that there is an oval guy that hacked Mamba's software and sells it for 150.00. It will put timing in the blinky mode. Havent seen it for myself but the guys I heard if from are pretty reliable and both have the speedo's.

EA
And I've asked for this link and have yet to be pointed to this "guy". Let me know if anyone finds it.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

EA,

I'm going to go out on a limb that someone will probably be happy to saw off for me.....

Those of us who care about RC racing (sanctioning groups, race promoters, racers, etc) all have a reponsibility to keep competition honest and fair. To my mind that includes calling out those who cheat intentionally. Certainly hacking code to add timing while leaving the LED blinking falls into the category of intentionally cheating. There can be no other reason for such a software mode. And it's certainly not a gray area of simply pushing the rules envelope.

If the guys you know who purchased these Mambas are really stand up guys who did it only to find out if it was true, then their next step ought to be to let race promoters and rules organizations know that the issue exists and who it is that is making the illegal modification. That doesn't have to be done openly in a forum like this but could be done through PM or E-mail.

For my part, the BRL is very interested in maintaining a level playing field for our oval racing. I'm especially concerned since your post indicates its an "oval guy" doing the code hacking. Since the guys you know don't intend to use the Mamba's to cheat, I'd be happy to buy one of the units from one of them so I can see for myself that it is illegal and how to detect it. That way, the guy who did the public service of exposing this cheating wouldn't be out the $150 for something he isn't going to use.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Ah, the day of the software engineer is now at front of the R/C line. Years ago, it was the guy with connections, then it was mechanical engineer that could build the best mousetrap, then it was the deep pocketed manf. buying A-list talent and now if the guy can write code - he is a threat to competition.

Grabbing at the wrong straws guys. Venture to say software controlled devices - including chargers and ESC's have long been the black art of R/C and possibly only practiced by the folks that build the hardware. Guess what, now people are building electronics for R/C with social engineering - just read the blogs. What was once only known by a few can now be done by anyone that can compile code or buy the right parts.

I dont think go run mod is the answer. Surely there are 'unobtainium' software releases and there will always be. It is the privilege of those that spend the dollars to R&D products that eventually becomes something we might be able to buy.

Years ago it was only the fast guys that could get horsepower - now you can buy great packs and more reliable power. Years ago, only the factory guys could get trick parts - now you can get great aftermarket hop-ups for almost any chassis.

IIC was a great race. I am not about to blame my lack of showing on not having what the guy next to me had. Blame is not enough practice, lack of execution and just drove it out of the back door. And perhaps the late night before

It was a great race and would not want to take away from the guys that executed well and consistently. Blackstock - you are the man. Glad to see it come back together.
I remember quite a few times that some special tire, chassis, battery, or whatever was out of my reach but I'm glad to say atleast in 12th mod most competitive kits, tires, batteries and motors are available to decent drivers to have a chance to do good without "special/secret" stuff...lol

I guess the present "wars" are mostly in the stock/spec class

lol
Old 10-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

back about 4 or 5 years ago at a major onroad carpet race i was in a room with 3 well known motor tuners and the conversation was "is he cranking the comm?" and the other guy said "yes" so the first two guys said where is my fantom dyno flywheel. and lets not forget the guys popping the mags out and putting in cobolt mags in the pardox cans. saw that happen also.

Deficient rules don't cause people to cheat, a deficiency of character does.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
Deficient rules don't cause people to cheat, a deficiency of character does.
Well said.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
I remember quite a few times that some special tire, chassis, battery, or whatever was out of my reach but I'm glad to say atleast in 12th mod most competitive kits, tires, batteries and motors are available to decent drivers to have a chance to do good without "special/secret" stuff...lol

I guess the present "wars" are mostly in the stock/spec class

lol
Good point. Fast stuff seems to be pretty accessible.

Now if I could only find that $750+ ESC power cap that someone was running! And I thought ECS's were pricey
Old 10-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Well said.
can't claim that Chaz955i said it first
Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Anyone have the link to the 10th Mod A Main?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Anyone have the link to the 10th Mod A Main?
2011 IIC Modified A-Main
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock
I do not know the answer to this. But onroad has picked up in this region and everyone running spec classes are running blinky modes.. This should tell you something.

Only right now the big races have boosted.

As for cheating software or motors. What about a claim rule on the motor and speedo?? This would make a impact i bet.

Just a thought
piece of cake, manufactors bid on supplying sealed motors and escs for spec class at major races. racers pay a increased entry fee to cover cost, or they go back to supplier for the next race.

with increased cost will it lower turnout, maybe, but maybe it will increase if everyone knows their on a level field finally. my two cents.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
piece of cake, manufactors bid on supplying sealed motors and escs for spec class at major races. racers pay a increased entry fee to cover cost, or they go back to supplier for the next race.

with increased cost will it lower turnout, maybe, but maybe it will increase if everyone knows their on a level field finally. my two cents.
Perhaps to save on costs of motors and esc's for racers there could be some kind of limiter like in real cars that is like small device of technology that even if boosting is done with blinky only so much is allowed to motor

It could be size of TQ booster that all stock/spec racers must have that doesn't allow certain profiles to work

Is that possible

It could be purchased or supplied at races and be easily spec't to see if it's been hacked like by hash check or something...lol

What do you think

It would plug into receiver maybe

Or a similar software that works on all speedo's which would require an cooperation between speedo manufacturer's and thus provide an better platform for stock/spec racing?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Actually Ive heard from several people that there is an oval guy that hacked Mamba's software and sells it for 150.00. It will put timing in the blinky mode. Havent seen it for myself but the guys I heard if from are pretty reliable and both have the speedo's.

EA
I've heard of someone doing it with the SPX Zero as well. Open Speedo fixes the problem. I say, do away with tuning rotors and adj. mechanical timing. Let the speedo do the work........ Then all a race director has to tech is rotor diameter and that the motor hasn't been modified in any way.......

Wasn't the move to brushless supposed to fix all of this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.