How to generate forward traction ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to generate forward traction ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default How to generate forward traction ???

well we`re gonna drag race ... as I now drive with a mamba max 7700 on ib`s traction wil be my only anemy `

I`m gonna drive alsmost no toe in in the rear and just a little toe in in the front ... I geus I`ll need some anti squat as I aslways drive that ... but with a lighter spring I get more traction ........ ??

It`s gonna be on carpet ...
Old 10-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Team Tekin

Taking away all your rear toe will take away forward traction...You're huring yourself. Less antisquat, more rear toe, and soft suspension will help in forward traction.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what car ?????
Old 10-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

larger rear tires will increase forward traction,cvd's swept forward(axles forward of diff in the rear),anti squat,stiffer springs will all work.anti squat and stiffer springs work because they both eliminate your rear suspension from absorbing the rearward weight transfer under acceleration and it drives the weight straight to the tires creating more load on the tires and therefor increasing forward traction.larger tires increase contact patch which will increase traction,and cvd angle swept forward in the rear also increases forward traction because the diff will drive itself down increasing weight to the rear tires under acceleration.minimal rear toe is good for top speed.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

larger tires increase contact patch which will increase traction,
I always thought this would not help because the presure becomse less

It`s a tmiya tb evo 4
Old 10-22-2006, 05:36 AM
Tech Lord

if you think about it,the larger the tire,the more tire that is in contact with the ground.this is why drag cars have larger rear tires and also the reason why they are not heavily inflated
Old 10-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

the reason they have big tyres is because the try to spread the powers applayed if they would use a small tyre it would rupture ...

rubber can only stand a certain amount off force per sqaure inch soooooo more inch can handle more power ......

a smaller tyre will have less contact patch soooooo it can handle less power but it has just as much grip becuase there`s more preusure on it per square inch ..

a tractor some times uses dubble rear tyres this is not becuase off drag racing ... it`s becuase they want to spread the presure (weight off the vehicle) over the mud so they won`t sink in it ....

so what will it be harder springs or softer one`ss ??

Last edited by duhh; 10-23-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

WOW cool! I am trying the same thing, and tried no rear toe in to start with. I think we may need to run at least a little bit of rear toe but I would not start with any front toe! My reasoning for this is that on a 4wd car upon acceleration the front wheels tend to toe in naturally. I would start with a very slight amount of toe out as the front wheels will go to 0 degrees of toe with load. Also you need to check into some traction compound from a company called Koford. The traction compound from Koford is a really thick and tacky oil. This stuff is what is used in R/C drag racing and trust me it works. The car I am trying this with is a Cyclone S. I was only able to get one run completely down the strip on its first outing as it kept wanting to spin right off the line. I am running a 7x1 Checkpoint motor with 6 cells in it right now. It's first complete pass was a 2.38 second run, and that was running it really easy off the line to keep from spinning the tires. I am also starting with 30 shore HPI foams all around. I am planning on looking for some softer foams at least for the rear but haven't had time to look around for what is available yet. If any of you guys out there haven't had a chance to attend a R/C drag race yet I suggest you look into it. Go to http://www.imdra.com/ for more information. Good luck with this and keep me informed of anything you discover while you are experimenting with setups.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:09 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by duhh
the reason they have big tyres is because the try to spread the powers applayed if they would use a small tyre it would rupture ...

rubber can only stand a certain amount off force per sqaure inch soooooo more inch can handle more power ......

a smaller tyre will have less contact patch soooooo it can handle less power but it has just as much grip becuase there`s more preusure on it per square inch ..

a tractor some times uses dubble rear tyres this is not becuase off drag racing ... it`s becuase they want to spread the presure (weight off the vehicle) over the mud so they won`t sink in it ....

so what will it be harder springs or softer one`ss ??
are you running rubber or foam tires?larger tire does increase forward traction for reasons you stated and may others.you will want harder springs also.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by duhh

these are all reasons for the traction.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

I`m running rubbers on a carpet lane .. its gonna be rp24 or cs 22 last option would be pit shimizu softies with "jack the gripper" or "carpet jack"

I`ll try the bit toe out in front thing

and almost no toe in in the rear ..

I`m running a mamba max 7700 and its way faster than anny 7 turn motor out there !!! for sure !!! I`m also using capacitors but they are totally not needed ....also because its a verry short lane ....
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

If you are running rubber on carpet, forget about the traction compount that I recomended, it's for foams on asphalt.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Randy Pike
Taking away all your rear toe will take away forward traction...You're huring yourself. Less antisquat, more rear toe, and soft suspension will help in forward traction.
in drag racing where you dont corner or need the car to square up, rear toe isnt an issue. zero rear toe is best.

chassis flex is key, where initial torque is absorbed so that the tires dont break traction and is released later. like a rubber band.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:22 AM
Tech Master

I think I disagree with that. Rear toe in gives you on throttle bite, you give up some speed because of extra drag, but everything is a bit of a trade off.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wagonman72
I think I disagree with that. Rear toe in gives you on throttle bite, you give up some speed because of extra drag, but everything is a bit of a trade off.
i don't know of any rc drag cars that have rear toe. even real dragsters run zero or as close to zero as possible. running rear toe is sometimes use to compensate for the dynamics that occur when the vehicle is in motion, so that negitive toe is not achived.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.