Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lutach
They should just hand out what ever combo they feel like using if the issue is cost. That would really keep the cost down for the racers. The way I see it if I was racing, I should be able to run what I spent my money on.
I agree. The Hobbywing 12T combo is an awesome example. Costs a little over what you pay for a motor.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bony85
hi guys could anyone please give me a starting setting for an indoor tc track (carpet and rubber tires) the track size is approximately 100ft x 50ft and should be fairly flowing, we will not find out the track layout until the day of the race meeting.

This will be using 200 software and a duo2 13.5 motor (what motor timing and gearing should i start on as well as speedo settings)
Last time I ran a Duo2 in 13.5 rubber I was full timing on the motor 12 on boost and 10 on the turbo at a 7.4 fdr. Motor temp was about 140 with only 1 light on esc. I do have to let you know I get on the throttle very early in the turns so you may have to adjust the setting for how you drive. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey Randy, How long if at all will be before the 64bit software hits us? I did alot of head scratching when I tried to get the software to work on my new laptop. Thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clegg
Not going to start a fight here, but wasnt that the case after the IIC... everyone was hinting that the CRC/AE ESC drivers had some black magic going on with that ESC that wasnt 100% legal. Just because they were faster. I know you were kidding, but isnt that just how R/C goes?
There was a distinct difference in the CRC speedo. The "issue" was the 2s pack plugged into it.

Yes, this is how RC goes.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
I just peeked in the Hurricane thread and WOW. I think the fact that you and Tekin Prez would spend the time to find a REAL solution to the VTA issue is awesome.

Outstanding service.
What do know here at Tekin is that if we don't support you(racers), you will not support us.

That being said we're here to help and keep racing fun. If it aint fun, it's not worth doing!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Clegg
Hey Randy,

Wanted to draw your attention to a thread going on for a local points series:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...series-17.html

The discussion in this case if VTA restricting the use of the "turbo" feature on the Tekins as they see it as an unfair advantage. The series has now banned the feature for those cars, but the issue I see is enforcement.

This isnt the first time I have read about people wanting to restrict Tekin functionality for some spec classes. Any chance you are thinking of releasing a "spec" firmware or a "turbo" free firmware that is easily Identifyable by looking at the ESC for some of these classes.

I see the policing of this kind of stuff to be a real kill joy for those who run Tekins, and if an easy inspection (like a certain series of lights lit at Neutral on the ESC to ID the "spec" firmware) would make this easier for those who need to compete in those classes.
Am I the only one who has no sympathy at all for this situation? You were all told, loud and clear, what the consequences would be if we went brushless. It would become a speedo war, and you would need a computer to program your speedo to be competitive. Now it's here. Here's what happens next...

You ban the Turbo feature in the Tekin. People buy the new Black Diamond speedo from Advanced Electronics that does not have that distinct feature, but is currently the class of the field. Now you have to ban that speedo (not just a feature of the speedo) to level the playing field.

You ban the Advanced speedo in the same week that LRP (or GM, or SP, or...) bring out one that fixes their problem with 1S on 'turbo' and is faster still. This speedo has standard programs, all of which are faster than the current speedo.

And so it goes on...

All you're left with is going to a standard speedo with no timing tricks (eg, LRP Sphere) or allowing it all to come onto the track. The road you have started down runs out at the edge of the cliff - it can't end well!!

This 'war' will go on until the speedo manufacturers have exhausted the physics of the motors - they can't take any more power. It'll take two, maybe three years. In the meantime you can try and stop the steamroller, but it's a waste of your time and strength. You'll need to take that time and strength to think of something else to keep the high ideals of your class. Don't fart against thunder, find a lightening rod.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you want a spec class, EVERYTHING needs to be controlled IMO. Just like the Slash class so many tracks have...
Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
Am I the only one who has no sympathy at all for this situation? You were all told, loud and clear, what the consequences would be if we went brushless. It would become a speedo war, and you would need a computer to program your speedo to be competitive. Now it's here. Here's what happens next...

You ban the Turbo feature in the Tekin. People buy the new Black Diamond speedo from Advanced Electronics that does not have that distinct feature, but is currently the class of the field. Now you have to ban that speedo (not just a feature of the speedo) to level the playing field.

You ban the Advanced speedo in the same week that LRP (or GM, or SP, or...) bring out one that fixes their problem with 1S on 'turbo' and is faster still. This speedo has standard programs, all of which are faster than the current speedo.

And so it goes on...

All you're left with is going to a standard speedo with no timing tricks (eg, LRP Sphere) or allowing it all to come onto the track. The road you have started down runs out at the edge of the cliff - it can't end well!!

This 'war' will go on until the speedo manufacturers have exhausted the physics of the motors - they can't take any more power. It'll take two, maybe three years. In the meantime you can try and stop the steamroller, but it's a waste of your time and strength. You'll need to take that time and strength to think of something else to keep the high ideals of your class. Don't fart against thunder, find a lightening rod.
But at least Tekin are all ears and prepared to look into making another software update to help the situation, right?

It could have been a situation under review in any class, so looking into the future, this software update that is being looked into could possibly be applied to other classes if need be.

Sometimes, I feel there is no need for negative energy, something good came out of the discussion for the VTA thread, thats how I see the discussion going

Or does everyone still prefer skimming motors, changing brushes / building or finding that elite brushed motor that has more power than everyone elses

Brushless is here to stay, technology comes in leaps and bounds, thats all part and parcel of racing, in any scale...
Old 10-08-2009, 02:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
But at least Tekin are all ears and prepared to look into making another software update to help the situation, right?

It could have been a situation under review in any class, so looking into the future, this software update that is being looked into could possibly be applied to other classes if need be.

Sometimes, I feel there is no need for negative energy, something good came out of the discussion for the VTA thread, thats how I see the discussion going

Or does everyone still prefer skimming motors, changing brushes / building or finding that elite brushed motor that has more power than everyone elses

Brushless is here to stay, technology comes in leaps and bounds, thats all part and parcel of racing, in any scale...
I can't wait to have a shelf queen motor lathe, discharge tray, brush cutter and cell equalizer Seriously, LiPo alone has made my race day much less stressful, I can't wait until I get through all of my brushed motor stuff and make the switch to brushless! I may hang on to some of the brushed stuff just for sentimental reasons though, take the lathe off the shelf, dust it off and skim a comm just for old times sake .....and to psych out the competition
Old 10-08-2009, 03:43 AM
Tech Champion

i've kept my brushed stuff for my son who's 5 in June, i'm sure he will find a use for it in a spare car

Anyways, back to topic.

Brushless motors will always be easier for the racer to look after, you dont need to strip it down much in it's life, just now and then to clean it out.

I was very much into brushed motors, but since brushless and converting, I see the benefits (You just need to be more careful on gearing and esc setup)
Old 10-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My opinion only, I would much rather have a software update on a speedo, which is given to us freely, than chase the motor of the week. Some ppl think the hotwire set up is cumbersome compared to other speedo's out there, but unlike the others, if you have a Tekin you don't need to buy another speedo to get the latest benifit of programming. At last count at my lhs there were 6 different lrp speedos on the shelf, each one programmed to do something different. Instead of me having to carry around different speedos for different classes to benifit from thier programming, I just break out the netbook with the hotwire and change the programming myself. Thats why I went with Tekin over the other brands. Excellent product and wicked customer service.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

First of all I would like to thank Tekin for giving us such an awsome product.

Here's my two cents worth on the "Spec" VTA thing. I am one of the guys who started VTA at our local track, started with a brushed motor setup in a BMI TC3. Once the class took off (largest class at our track right now) the fellow racers quickly adopted the brushless setups in there cars and were like rockets against me.
Not a prob, I didn't whine about it, I didn't cry "unfair", I simply ran my car car and told everyone as soon as the cash came in I would upgrade to a newer brushless/lipo setup and I did. The bigger problem I see with this hobby racing thing is too darn much pissing and moaning about he has that and shes faster because of this and I can't afford it so it ain't fair. I cannot remember a time I EVER heard the Wood Brothers complain that everyone else's stuff was better and thats why they don't win as many races. But they keep doing the best they with what they have at that moment.

Ok enough with the rant, I was wondering that since we can upgrade the software on the ESC's could Tekin put together software to allow us to make the ESC just a plain jane speedo without all the bells and whistles? If they are going to check then let em look all we would need to do is load a different program. I wouldn't mind reconfiguring my RS if I knew I was going to be running in a series like that. I would love to have that ability with my equipment.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Et your Tekin RS in Dual mode and it is like a LRP TC.
So that's already on it.
The Sensord mode is for the stock the power mode.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mav913
First of all I would like to thank Tekin for giving us such an awsome product.

Here's my two cents worth on the "Spec" VTA thing. I am one of the guys who started VTA at our local track, started with a brushed motor setup in a BMI TC3. Once the class took off (largest class at our track right now) the fellow racers quickly adopted the brushless setups in there cars and were like rockets against me.
Not a prob, I didn't whine about it, I didn't cry "unfair", I simply ran my car car and told everyone as soon as the cash came in I would upgrade to a newer brushless/lipo setup and I did. The bigger problem I see with this hobby racing thing is too darn much pissing and moaning about he has that and shes faster because of this and I can't afford it so it ain't fair. I cannot remember a time I EVER heard the Wood Brothers complain that everyone else's stuff was better and thats why they don't win as many races. But they keep doing the best they with what they have at that moment.

Ok enough with the rant, I was wondering that since we can upgrade the software on the ESC's could Tekin put together software to allow us to make the ESC just a plain jane speedo without all the bells and whistles? If they are going to check then let em look all we would need to do is load a different program. I wouldn't mind reconfiguring my RS if I knew I was going to be running in a series like that. I would love to have that ability with my equipment.
Isn't 189 the "plain jane" version already ? It doesn't have turbo boost or timing boost.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I've had a couple of the plastic end caps on my redline motors crack and become warped. After this happens the motor runs hot. Anyone else had the problem? Has tekin though about releasing this piece in aluminum? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.