Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Ask Aaron Waldron >

Ask Aaron Waldron

Ask Aaron Waldron

Old 09-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use the aluminium upgrades for added weight to get more traction for my 8B.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Ryu Goh - Tires balloon when you're on the throttle and the diffs bleed power to the tires that don't have any weight on them. When you're accelerating, the center diff will bleed power to the front tires because the rear tires are loaded down.

The carcass of the tire determines how much they will expand; a thinner carcass tire or one with a taller profile will balloon more than a thicker or shorter tire. Foam won't really affect it too much.

Mater - You will have to change your driving a little bit to be successful with the 8IGHT, but I think those changes will make you a more consistent and efficient racer. The 8IGHT buggy will allow you to produce fast lap times with the least amount of effort, by maintaining control of the car and cruising around the track.

The life of the throttle servo depends on how you set it up. Make sure to set your EPA's conservatively (you don't need to pull the carb as far as it will go to get full throttle, and you only need enough brake to lock up the tires). Spend the time to set up your linkage to pull the carb straight with no binding, and to activate the brakes with minimal servo travel, and you'll be fine.

You can find setups for the buggy here: http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Sup...rodID=LOSK0800

From the stock setup, I've made the following changes:

- 13T clutch bell, with four carbon shoes, and four gold springs.
- 3/3 rear pivot block
- hubs all the way back
- 56's with 25 wt. in the rear
- 54's with 40 wt. in the front
- 4-A rear camber link

odoylrulz - The aluminum chassis braces will stop the car from flexing, which can actually take away traction and hurt the car through rough sections of the track. The included plastic chassis braces should make the car easier to drive, more consistent, and have more traction. The aluminum knuckles are nice, but not necessary. I run the stock knuckles and chassis braces on all my cars.

smitty - Haha
Old 09-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vones
I use the aluminium upgrades for added weight to get more traction for my 8B.
Wow awsome thread Aaron it has been very helpful I have just started in nitro and got the VTX B1 1/8 buggie by Vertex and am trying to soak up as much racing setups as posiable thankz
Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you! I hope everyone can learn from all the awesome information on this thread and all over R/C Tech.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Aaron. I just modified my account as a paid member. I'm just wondering why I don't have the new signature options. I'm mostly interested in using an animated avatar. But I certainly don't mind supporting the forum.
PS if any one other than Aaron can tell me whats up that'd be great.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

To be honest, I have no idea. Haha. You'll need to contact Shane (futureal) or Troy (TSR6).

Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

thanks for the reply Aaron
Old 09-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Of course!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

LOL. Figures that you are of no use. LOL.

Where you been???? Taking a break? Hope everything is ok.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

It's certainly not the first time that I've been useless, haha.

Been taking a break and doing some other stuff. This past weekend I was in the Bay Area to announce the finale of the NorCal R/C Championship Series, which was a blast!

And actually, I have some BIG news, I'll PM you.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey Aaron,

I wanted to find out how would my car handling would change if I switch from grease (pretty empty when I opened up the diffs) to diff oil. I have the losi 8 T RTR and switch from grease to 7,000 front, 10000 middle, and 3000 rear. My goal was to get more on power steering, am I step forward or backward. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Your truck should simply be better and more consistent in all areas. I haven't run grease in any of my diffs to have a basis for comparison, but I think your truck's handling will improve across the board.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Your truck should simply be better and more consistent in all areas. I haven't run grease in any of my diffs to have a basis for comparison, but I think your truck's handling will improve across the board.
Originally Posted by mfishel
Hey Aaron. I just modified my account as a paid member. I'm just wondering why I don't have the new signature options. I'm mostly interested in using an animated avatar. But I certainly don't mind supporting the forum.
PS if any one other than Aaron can tell me whats up that'd be great.
Plus the grease actually breaks down with heat, so from beginning to end of your run it will get worse.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I'm not sure that's fair to say. Silicone oil also changes in different temperatures; nothing is ever exempt from the physical characteristics of matter.

Grease works well in some applications, particularly limited slip-style differentials that were more commonly used in older Kyosho buggy platforms. But I think you'll see an improvement in your Losi RTR buggy or truck by filling the diffs with silicone oil.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default aluminum spindle carriers

hey aaron, I was going to install a set of aluminum spindle carriers and noticed that there was no where to mount the upper camber links. What am I missing here, thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.