Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Xray touring car designer Martin Hudy is having a really good showing here in Austria, leading his team in an improved performance over Rd4 which saw the Slovakian company fail to get any cars into the modified A-main. Since then they have done a lot of testing and found that running harder springs and harder oil helped find the steering they were lacking, while retaining a responsive car. A change to anti-dive front and rear, harder oil in the rear diff as well as progressive springs all around and they now have a car that is competitive again.
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...hen2013061315/
Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just started my build on my first xray. Lightly sanded the chassis edges with 400. Debated gluing because I thought it could be messy, but decided to go for it. I used my tire glue with glue hose, and just as people described, I put on a small bead, and it ran down smoothly, then I wiped excess with a towel. No mess. I hit it lightly with 1500 afterwards. It's not art, but hopefully it does the job.

The real reason I'm posting is the gear diff. Holy... Frigging... Crap. I've only built spec-r, and with absolutely no work, this thing is 10x better than my best spec-r ever was. I don't think I can go back.

-Mike
Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Tech Champion

TTVert and JoeSi - Many thanks, it gives me something to use as a rough understanding

However, since studying the charts, all of the values suggested are all for very light cts.

I would use the kit supplied xray oil to assemble one of the differentials and use higher or lower for the other end - depending on what you guys would think is the preferred choice for the other differential. (because im a total newbie with understanding gear diffs lol )

I am looking for a lot of forward bite, as the front diff will be working rather hard on a small 10x15m technical track. (foams, high bite carpet).

So, kit oil in the front or rear? And ___ cst for the other please?

I know I will never want to go back to a ball diff when the gear diff's are built but damn.... they are easier to understand

Sorry for the newbie stuff, once i'm racing things will be easier for me... I hope lol!

Maybe I should simply build up with kit oil for both differentials....

But no doubt I will only get enough oil to fill one, even if I buy a second diff with the car, right?

Last edited by tc3team; 06-19-2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: shoot me im a n00b! xD
Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I just started my build on my first xray. Lightly sanded the chassis edges with 400. Debated gluing because I thought it could be messy, but decided to go for it. I used my tire glue with glue hose, and just as people described, I put on a small bead, and it ran down smoothly, then I wiped excess with a towel. No mess. I hit it lightly with 1500 afterwards. It's not art, but hopefully it does the job.

The real reason I'm posting is the gear diff. Holy... Frigging... Crap. I've only built spec-r, and with absolutely no work, this thing is 10x better than my best spec-r ever was. I don't think I can go back.

-Mike
Welcome aboard! Once you've switched to Xray you can never go elsewhere You'll enjoy the shocks too, they're equally amazing.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat

-Mike
+ 1, Yes, welcome to Xray, quality all the way
Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
TTVert and JoeSi - Many thanks, it gives me something to use as a rough understanding

However, since studying the charts, all of the values suggested are all for very light cts.

I would use the kit supplied xray oil to assemble one of the differentials and use higher or lower for the other end - depending on what you guys would think is the preferred choice for the other differential. (because im a total newbie with understanding gear diffs lol )

I am looking for a lot of forward bite, as the front diff will be working rather hard on a small 10x15m technical track. (foams, high bite carpet).

I know I will never want to go back to a ball diff when the gear diff's are built but damn.... they are easier to understand

Sorry for the newbie stuff, once i'm racing things will be easier for me... I hope lol!

But no doubt I will only get enough oil to fill one, even if I buy a second diff with the car, right?
The kit has enough for several diffs. I never used the kit oil in my rear diff. I went straight to 1000cst. Most are using between 1000 and 3000 depending on traction. In the front you will prob want 2.5 million.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jerz616
The kit has enough for several diffs. I never used the kit oil in my rear diff. I went straight to 1000cst. Most are using between 1000 and 3000 depending on traction. In the front you will prob want 2.5 million.
very useful!

Much appreciated.

I wanted to know what kind of difference front and rear diff I should expect to use on a technical high grip track to get the car handling good and not "diff out"

I see the guide mentions to use a certain amount of grammes of oil in the diff on a set of scales.... Do I need Hudy scales for this?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

very useful!

Much appreciated.

I wanted to know what kind of difference front and rear diff I should expect to use on a technical high grip track to get the car handling good and not "diff out"

I see the guide mentions to use a certain amount of grammes of oil in the diff on a set of scales.... Do I need Hudy scales for this?
I may have missed it in one of your earlier posts, but the kit only comes with 1 diff. The front "diff" isn't a differential, but rather a spool.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I run on a very similar track to you except I run on a rubber VTA tire. I've been using 2k rear diff oil and a spool up front. I'm also running a heavier shock oil w/ a softer spring.

Dave

Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Xpress
I may have missed it in one of your earlier posts, but the kit only comes with 1 diff. The front "diff" isn't a differential, but rather a spool.
Yes. It only comes with a rear diff. The front is a spool. You can buy the diff for about $60 complete.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

very useful!

Much appreciated.

I don't use a front gear diff so I couldn't tell you the differences. I run blinky sedan so I use the spool. I am playing with mod sedan and will try a front diff with 2.5million in it. I have beef told it makes it a little easier to drive.

As far as I'm told. Using lighter oil in the rear diff will allow less rotation and thicker oil allows more rotation.

You don't need the Hudy scales. I just use a digital scale to fill mine.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry for the xray newbie question, but I have heard of some people using shock oil in the gear differentials?

Would a typical 75wt shock oil be similar to the kit 750 supplied item?

I only ask as gear diff oil does not appear to be so easy to get (I could get it from Demon Power, but if I can use shock oil then it's much easier to source! ).

Many thanks
Diff oil is very easy to get hold of especialy in the UK. Schumacher (apologies for swearing) distribute Core RC shock & diff oils that cover most needs.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

is a new xray coming? most places seem to be backordered
Old 06-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayL
is a new xray coming? most places seem to be backordered
Probably not until the end of the year like usual.
Of course they're on backorder, they're the car to have
Old 06-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes
Diff oil is very easy to get hold of especialy in the UK. Schumacher (apologies for swearing) distribute Core RC shock & diff oils that cover most needs.
thats the brand i use core rc,which id love to have a comparison chart against the xray oils

Last edited by chasingthepack; 06-23-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.