Search

removing glued tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
Well it more or less makes it gooey and unsticky so it just comes off the rim
Then you just use a rag and clean the rim and/or tire.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Hi guys, I plan to remove my tire with using boiling method and need advise do i able to put 3 tires together and boil it? thanks.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
Im a VERY messy gluer, so I always have nail polish remover in my grasp whenever I glue my hands together with CA glue. I have never tried this, but would nail polish remove (Losi CA debonder is the same thign right?) the CA glue from the rims?
Nail polish remover is just... acetone.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What's the difference between acetone, thinner, tarpin, spirit and such? All I've got is thinner

I assume you can remove hardened CA from rubber too? Oh yeah the boiling method works very well, tried and tested
Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
What's the difference between acetone, thinner, tarpin, spirit and such? All I've got is thinner

I assume you can remove hardened CA from rubber too? Oh yeah the boiling method works very well, tried and tested

Lol there all different but im pretty sure they all have a precentage of Acetone in them. but acetone is 100 percent acetone. Thinner really wouldnt work just go buy a quart of acetone you can use it again and again

Yes you can
Old 05-31-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Do all of you soak in acetone? Do you buy it in bulk? 1 gallon at Lowes is like $16.
LOL, 2% discount buying by the pallet, nah i'm kidding
but yeah acetone does get damn expensive
Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

has anyone tried nail polish remover? i know you don't get a lot per bottle, but i'm ungluing sedan tires...
Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stitchy
has anyone tried nail polish remover? i know you don't get a lot per bottle, but i'm ungluing sedan tires...

nail polish remover is expensive acetone. it has extra smelly stuff and stuff to not irratate your skin

It will work fine but just be wayyyyy more expensive so go get a quart of acetone at lowes or home depot
Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

hahahaha boiling works good, I even do it with my wife cooking dinner, Im in CO and it take about 2 hours before its hot enough to remove the tire with out killing your self.

I reuse the wheels until they crack and i use the foams throught 4 sets of tires.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
nail polish remover is expensive acetone. it has extra smelly stuff and stuff to not irratate your skin

It will work fine but just be wayyyyy more expensive so go get a quart of acetone at lowes or home depot
ah...I just figured...maybe I won't need a lot of it since sedan tires are so much smaller..and my hands will smell nice too!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just read through the whole thread.

I am surprised to read about people buying gallons of acetone and soaking the entire tires and wheels in it.

From my experience, acetone has been the best way to remove tires from the wheels. Especially if you want to save both of them. Unfortunately though, the foams don't stand up well to the acetone.

To make the acetone technique work nicely, you don't want to soak the tires and wheels in acetone. The fumes from the acetone is enough to release the glue from the tires and wheels. All you will need is a nice sealable container that can hold the tires. Like a big tupperware or a bucket with an airtight lid. Place the tires in the container, but elevate them to keep them off the bottom where the acetone will be. Pour about a cup of acetone into the container and seal it up. Sometimes I just pours some into a spray paint cap and place the the cap in the container with the tires and wheels. Let it sit overnight.

In the morning, the glue will soften up and you could pull the tires off the wheels. There will still be some glue residue on the tires and wheels though. If you want to get the wheels(or tires) sparkling clean, just place them back in the container with the acetone soaking the bead area. Within a couple of ours, go back and soak the other side of the wheels. Everything will be nice and clean.

Be sure to wipe the wheels with denature alcohol before you mount the tires. Acetone acts as a releasing agent towards the glue. If you don't wipe the wheels with denatured alcohol, you'll risk having the glue fail during the useful life of the tire. I figured that out the hard way. Now, I wipe all my wheels and tires with denatured alcohol before I glue them up.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by z1nonly
I just read through the whole thread.

I am surprised to read about people buying gallons of acetone and soaking the entire tires and wheels in it.

From my experience, acetone has been the best way to remove tires from the wheels. Especially if you want to save both of them. Unfortunately though, the foams don't stand up well to the acetone.

To make the acetone technique work nicely, you don't want to soak the tires and wheels in acetone. The fumes from the acetone is enough to release the glue from the tires and wheels. All you will need is a nice sealable container that can hold the tires. Like a big tupperware or a bucket with an airtight lid. Place the tires in the container, but elevate them to keep them off the bottom where the acetone will be. Pour about a cup of acetone into the container and seal it up. Sometimes I just pours some into a spray paint cap and place the the cap in the container with the tires and wheels. Let it sit overnight.

In the morning, the glue will soften up and you could pull the tires off the wheels. There will still be some glue residue on the tires and wheels though. If you want to get the wheels(or tires) sparkling clean, just place them back in the container with the acetone soaking the bead area. Within a couple of ours, go back and soak the other side of the wheels. Everything will be nice and clean.

Be sure to wipe the wheels with denature alcohol before you mount the tires. Acetone acts as a releasing agent towards the glue. If you don't wipe the wheels with denatured alcohol, you'll risk having the glue fail during the useful life of the tire. I figured that out the hard way. Now, I wipe all my wheels and tires with denatured alcohol before I glue them up.
Yes.

and i use, for two tires, a foldgers big coffee "aroma seal" container it works perfect