new to on road

Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok time for another couple of questions...what is blinky mode and if I get a foam edition chassis can I still put rubber tires on it and run o?n pavement
Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mwitham87
Ok time for another couple of questions...what is blinky mode and if I get a foam edition chassis can I still put rubber tires on it and run o?n pavement
Blinky Mode simply means, you are running a Advanced ESC that is programmable and has advanced features such as "boost" but the features have been turned off, read on for the rest of the explaination.....

Blinky Mode came about when Boost became popular, a lot of guys ran out and bought these Advanced ESCs with Boost.... to keep up to all the guys that were running Boost.

But things got so Fast, i.e. 17.5 Open.... was Really Fast when running Boost. So a lot of guys decided they wanted to run 17.5 Limited ESC because the Boosted cars were just to damn fast. Well it was to expensive to just put these Advanced ESCs on the shelf, and go out and buy "another" Basic ESC.

So the manufacturers developed special versions of their software that you load in the ESC that then basically "disables" the programming capability so that it acts like a Basic ESC with not boost or advanced features.

When you run this Special Software it causes one of the lights on the ESC to "Blink"..... hence Blinky Mode.

It blinks as a way for Race Directors to easily check someones car and make sure it is "legal" for an ESC limited class.

As for the Foam Chassis Version..... I will let someone with more knowledge than I answer that.... What manufacturer is the Chassis?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 AM
Regional Moderator

Blinky mode is ROAR Spec (no boost, turbo, or timing advance in the ESC).

While you could use a foam chassis for rubber (I do it in VTA), it is sub-optimal since the foam chassis is far stiffer than a rubber specific chassis. It can be done, but you're more than likely on your own for setup help. You might be able to find a rubber specific bottom plate and top deck for that car, but it'll cost a ton (almost as much as another used car).
Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Oh ok so my wife went and bought me the speed Passion 17.5 setup and I wasn't sure if that would work.... Cause I live in Florida and there is an indoor place close to me with a big event coming up and I wasn't sure what they were talking about with the whole " blinky" mode.......and the chassis is a TC5F.......I wanna do both indoor and outdoor but not sure about foam tires on pavement
Old 08-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

Oh ok so my wife went and bought me the speed Passion 17.5 setup and I wasn't sure if that would work.... Cause I live in Florida and there is an indoor place close to me with a big event coming up and I wasn't sure what they were talking about with the whole " blinky" mode.......and the chassis is a TC5F.......I wanna do both indoor and outdoor but not sure about foam tires on pavement
What "model" of ESC came with that Motor/ESC System?

As for what type of tires to run, you need to run what the class requires. 17.5 Blinky usually has a Spec Tire, in other words, a tire that is "designated" for that particular class. Usually, not always.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Regional Moderator

I wanna do both indoor and outdoor but not sure about foam tires on pavement
Virtually everyone running TC now is using rubber tires. Pan cars still run foams (both indoor and out), but TC has switched to rubber (indoor and out). That's why I am running a foam chassis in VTA (nobody runs foam TC anymore ). I doubt that your local track would allow you to run foams against rubber tires. Indoors, foams are way faster than rubber tires, and I would suspect that the same is true outdoors. At last year's Halloween Classic at The Gate, most of the 17.5 boosted foam class racers were faster than Paul Lemieux and Keven Hebert were in Mod rubber.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have a ? And you guys are very knowledgable and are a great help I think I'm going to run in door on carpet for the first time I have a tc5 what do you guys put on your tire for traction for carpet. Thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by sczrface85
I have a ? And you guys are very knowledgable and are a great help I think I'm going to run in door on carpet for the first time I have a tc5 what do you guys put on your tire for traction for carpet. Thanks
It's really up to what is accepted at your local track. It seems that (in the US) most carpet tracks have settled on one of the following:

1) Corally "Jack the Gripper"
2) Trinity "Sticky Fingers"
3) SXT 3.0
4) Niftech

Other tracks still allow Paragon Ground Effects, but most have banned it due to the overpowering Wintergreen smell that lingers seemingly forever.

Also, it's not a good idea to mix traction compound brands on the same carpet. Some are OK, others make traction inconsistent.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Initiate

As far as the speed control is concerned she bought the citrix series stock club race. The big event that's coming up here said that you can run Solaris spec tires...I'm not sure if you can help me there?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As far as the speed control is concerned she bought the citrix series stock club race. The big event that's coming up here said that you can run Solaris spec tires...I'm not sure if you can help me there?
The Cirtix ESCs are zero timing only, so perfectly legal for any "blinky" races.

They'll probably be selling tires at the event you are attending, often cheaper than hobby store prices.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Yes, CarbonJoe is right.... use what ever Traction Compounds are recommended/accepted at your local track....

OTHERWISE IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE.....

And I will tell you a secret... If you can go through RCAmerica and get the Traction Compound that Paul Lemieux developed .... It "Is" The Sh*&^t.!.!.. I got a bottle from him and it is "incredible" he said RCAmerica was going to start marketing it, .... wait ....found it on Nexus.... This IS It...

http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...oducts_id=3844

Of course, it is out of stock right now.... but It Is Awsome.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Initiate

That's awesome so now I'm not that nervous about this.....I found the tires website but you can only buy them from them through an email so I'm hoping that the event has them like I said.......and to my previous question about tires I'm just gonna run rubber seems that's what they are already running.........and I was thinking about a 2s 5000 mah 60 + c battery is that just right or too much?..... You guys have been way more help then offroad guys have ever been
Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

C-rating of batteries is something of a dark art, lots of people claim to feel differences between a 40 and a 50C but in a low-amperage class such as Blinky 17.5 its tiny, just get a good battery made by a good company such as Pro-Match or Thunderpower as they tend not to puff (my Pro-Match 50c works great after 200 charges of 3000MAH or so). One good battery is worth three bad ones, and as I have personally seen two cheapo LiPo's literally go up in smoke and flames and take the rest of the car with it, I recommend not cheaping out on this. Promatch Racing has good batteries for cheap, and the shipping is fast and free if over $100 on the order, so I recommend them.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

That's awesome so now I'm not that nervous about this.....I found the tires website but you can only buy them from them through an email so I'm hoping that the event has them like I said.......and to my previous question about tires I'm just gonna run rubber seems that's what they are already running.........and I was thinking about a 2s 5000 mah 60 + c battery is that just right or too much?..... You guys have been way more help then offroad guys have ever been
#1.... Glad you are not so nervous...
#2.... Like CarbonJoe (or someone... lol) yes, the Local Track usually stocks a decent selection of tires ... "especially" the ones they "require" you to run for certain classes.
#3.... It is just the deal, you have to run what the Local Track requires, and they usually have a Very good reason for doing what they are doing.
#4.... 2s 5000 Mah, 60C... is excellent... should work Very Well. Do... check and search some of the "reputable" online information about battery
treatment. Treat them right, no matter what manufacturer, they should give you your money's-worth...

As for being helpful... .. ... Just trying to help. Ask me anytime, and I am sure any of the On-Road guys would say the same.

If you have been treated differently by the Off-Road crowd where you race, the only thing I can say, is.... it is just the crowd.

Where I race, I also race Off-Road, and the guys I have met, are Just As Helpful as any others.

Take Care, and PM me anytime, and if you ever get to the Mid-West...
Look me up.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Another quick note regarding batteries. 1. get a Lipo Safety bag. Most tracks, especially indoors will require it. 2. Any event that is ROAR sanctioned will require ROAR approved batteries. make sure whatever you have , or plan on buying, are on the approved list. If it's not a ROAR sanctioned race then check the event rules. Most often they simply require them to be hard cased packs but they might have mah limits or c rating limits.
I too am running a Foam Spec chassis for outdoor asphalt racing with no problems but it does depend on the chassis. The TC5 has a variable stiffness upper deck if I remember correctly. Can't remember what Associated calls it.
If so equipped, learn it and experiment with it.
Check with Superior Hobbies, they may have the Solaris tires in stock. Does Florida Indoor Raceway have a shop ??
I ordered a couple sets of those tires for a guy in my club and they shipped very quickly.
BTW....Why aren't you posting in the Florida regional threads ?? Introduce yourself to those folks. You've got some great racers over there with tremendous knowledge. Adam Bailey used to work for Schumacher and he's a regular at Florida Indoor RC. I think Dave Franklin goes over there too...hell of a guy and an outstanding racer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.