Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First Car Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Default My First Car Questions.

hey guys, iv been into offroad rc since i was about 6 yrs old and at 10 i was sponsored and racing pro. i have been wanting to get into the onroad scene for fun and am looking into buying either a tc4 club racer, or a 3 racing sakura zero. i want to know which car would be a better option for vta? and also waht gearing should i use with a 10.5t motor? i will be using temporaraley until i get the 25.5t thanks guys
Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They both can be competitive in VTA. Depending on where you are they both have decent parts support. The Sakura s is infinitely upgradable until it becomes the full version. You may also want to consider the sport versions from Spec-r, Serpent, and X-ray, all of which are upgradable. I dont ever gear for a 10.5 so I cant help you there, but I would gear for a 4.0 FDR when you set it up for VTA and make adjustments from there.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
They both can be competitive in VTA. Depending on where you are they both have decent parts support. The Sakura s is infinitely upgradable until it becomes the full version. You may also want to consider the sport versions from Spec-r, Serpent, and X-ray, all of which are upgradable. I dont ever gear for a 10.5 so I cant help you there, but I would gear for a 4.0 FDR when you set it up for VTA and make adjustments from there.
+1 on the Spec-R S1, worth a look for sure - lot of car for the money.

Gearing on a 10.5 will depend if its boosted or not.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tc4 club racer hands down !
Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Tech Regular

i run a sakura zero and its not a bad car but i like my Xray T4 alot more
Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 AM
Tech Adept

no its not boosted just plain old 10.5 velnion
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

If you plan on just running VTA, either car will be fine. If you plan to move into TC or something later, I would recommend either the Sakura or the Spec-R S1. Assuming that the <$150 price range is where you are looking at anyway.

If you were a pro offroad driver, is there any particular reason you are looking to start in VTA? Just curious, as it is more of a stepping stone class (not to say there are not good drivers in it but mostly it is newer drivers).

For gearing, it's hard to say, but I would think something high, 5.0-6.0 if not even higher. You are going to be bonkers fast compared to a 25.5. I'd recommend turning down the throttle on your radio to approximate the speed of other drivers though.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I would recommend you consider the 3Racing Sakura Zero S or the Spec-R R1 Sport chassis as your best bets to get into on-road racing. The TC4 was a flop when it was first released and nothing's changed since then. AE must have a warehouse full of these kits and I'm sure their marketing department must have come up with the idea to sell it as a 'Club Racer'.

Gearing recommendations are almost impossible to make and I suggest you speak with the fast racers at your local track for FDR settings.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

ok so the more research i do the tc4 is an old car! i have been looking at the spec r s1 and it looks like a very good car although i know nothing about it. i wanted to know though what other segments i could get into with my car using the 10.5? i really like touring cars but have no clue what other classes there are. what class could i run the spec r with my velinion and all the other stuff for vta?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sc10pc
ok so the more research i do the tc4 is an old car! i have been looking at the spec r s1 and it looks like a very good car although i know nothing about it. i wanted to know though what other segments i could get into with my car using the 10.5? i really like touring cars but have no clue what other classes there are. what class could i run the spec r with my velinion and all the other stuff for vta?
Most places have classes spec'd. Like 17.5 blinky or 13.5 super stock. Some run a 10.5 class. But the velineon would have to be run in an open class as it doesn't really fit. But the velineon system isn't really a good choice for TC as its not sensored. I would look around and see what classes are ran in your area. The spec r r1 could be ran on any of those classes along with VTA or even usgt which is a 21.5 motor class with sports car bodies.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

I know in my previous post I said that the tc4 was an old car which it but it is the most used car for my local vta class and the guys seem to love the tc5 and the X-rays for gt but I think in either my best bet would be is to go for a tc4 and hey if I get bored of the vta class then all I got to do is buy a new body shell and a new set of wheels and I'm good to go for the usgt class
Old 11-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sc10pc
I know in my previous post I said that the tc4 was an old car which it but it is the most used car for my local vta class and the guys seem to love the tc5 and the X-rays for gt but I think in either my best bet would be is to go for a tc4 and hey if I get bored of the vta class then all I got to do is buy a new body shell and a new set of wheels and I'm good to go for the usgt class
The TC4 is a great car for VTA, but thats really about it. I don't know too many people that use the TC4 for usgt and definately not for sedan. Almost everyone at our track runs xray in vta and sedan. We dont have a usgt class.