Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tomkatn

building slash 2wd vxl for novice open class

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 03:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default building slash 2wd vxl for novice open class

i am wanting to run the open novice class in rossville geprgia this spring. I have only been in the hobby for a couple months. i would like insight on what direction i need to go in as far as building my slash. I currently have the velineon vxl3 setup for my motor and esc. the guy thats over the track said alot of the guys are running anywhere from 4300 t0 5100 kv engine, the guy at the hobby store said the novice class was mainly just turning laps. So im not sure what to do motor wise. Upgrades to my slash are as follows. I have converted over to the lcg chassis. I have upgraded my caster blocks and front and rear bearing carriers over to rpm. I have put proline power strokes on all four corners.. i have upgraded to a savox 1258tg servo and replaced the bell crank bushings to bearings. i know the slash is not a prefered racing truck but it was suggested to me that it was a good truck to start with being easier to drive and very durable. im gonna need a late model body and slick tires. Are there any worth while upgrades i should consider. Is there anywhere i could gain some knowledge on setting the car up. I hope this is not to of a noob question to be asking on here. im running 2s gen ace 6000 mah 70c.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

aluminum steering rack and Better C hubs.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jerry30707
i am wanting to run the open novice class in rossville geprgia this spring. I have only been in the hobby for a couple months. i would like insight on what direction i need to go in as far as building my slash. I currently have the velineon vxl3 setup for my motor and esc. the guy thats over the track said alot of the guys are running anywhere from 4300 t0 5100 kv engine, the guy at the hobby store said the novice class was mainly just turning laps. So im not sure what to do motor wise. Upgrades to my slash are as follows. I have converted over to the lcg chassis. I have upgraded my caster blocks and front and rear bearing carriers over to rpm. I have put proline power strokes on all four corners.. i have upgraded to a savox 1258tg servo and replaced the bell crank bushings to bearings. i know the slash is not a prefered racing truck but it was suggested to me that it was a good truck to start with being easier to drive and very durable. im gonna need a late model body and slick tires. Are there any worth while upgrades i should consider. Is there anywhere i could gain some knowledge on setting the car up. I hope this is not to of a noob question to be asking on here. im running 2s gen ace 6000 mah 70c.
Most any novice class is going to be about 'turning laps' as the guy said, pretty much keep the marshals hands off your vehicle and you will do well ... is this for Battlefield Raceway on an outdoor dirt oval? ...

Last edited by tomkatn; 01-19-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:25 PM
Tech Rookie

It is. Wife has been trying to get me to get a hobby. We went and watched them run down in rossville and lets just say i found my hobby. It looks like it would be a blast. just hope i can get to where i can compete. without a doubt some of the guys down there have been doing it for years,
Old 01-19-2022, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

I don't see any rules listed for the Novice class, but 2 of the 5 listed classes are going to be Slash base mandated, and for two more Slash platforms would be legal as well, so it is predominantly a Short Course based track ... since you were there in person to see it, you have a bit of an idea what it entails, but one of the most common mistakes made by a newcomer, is to go out and do a lot of things that they see/hear from sources not familiar with that track rules/conditions, only having to change things, and find out something different was needed ... most Novice classes, will have more flexibility than the more structured classes, at least to start, and usually things can be sorted out in the practice sessions that go on for a week or two before the season actually starts ...

With that said, is a late model body something that is needed to get you started and turning laps in the novice class, as I am seeing truck bodies in the pics? Do you really want/need 'slick' tires as stated in your original post? ...all I am seeing in the rules, are 'No Pins', which leaves a lot of 'Rubber Tire' (as listed in rules) options ... the MudBoss class is raced at Battlefield, and virtually every stock MudBoss class around the country requires one of the 3 tire types that come stock on the Slash, all three treaded, so stock tires may be fine, and probably more desirable, as this appears to be at least a semi-loose dirt track ... again, these are all things that can be easily sorted out, you just don't want to do a lot of things now before you know, that only need to be changed ... one or two race/practice days at YOUR track and talking to those that actually run on it, will be MUCH more helpful than anyone can begin to tell you that is not familiar with it
Andy Koback likes this.

Last edited by tomkatn; 01-19-2022 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What class are you looking at after novice? Going to keep this slash or replace? Around here, 13.5 Mudboss is popular with the LCG Slash. I'd look to the higher classes before planning a ton of mods.

Also, check out the Murfdogg chassis tuning book. Should be one of the first search results.

Clean laps first, mods and power later.

--Alex
Old 01-30-2022, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Slash oval racing is a great way to enjoy the hobby with relatively low cost and several very competitive classes. I would agree with the others in that the novice class is going to be mainly about putting down laps. As a result you can toss it down as is and start getting a feel for how the truck handles, getting the hand eye coordination down, getting in and out of the corner etc.
I would also get an idea where you want to go before you make too many changes. For example, if you ultimately want to race street stock, then get a street stock body and the tires most other street stock racers are using, But you can still toss it out as is in the novice class and start putting down laps while you make any other changes to be legal/competitive for whichever class your aiming for down the road.
I have only raced oval for a couple of seasons here and there so by no means am I an expert. My experience though is that motor has never been my issue. Learning how to make the car stick and turn are probably the biggest challenges. Tires, shock oil, shock limiters (lowering the truck even more) shock placement, etc. play a huge part. A bigger motor in a poor handling truck will cause more issues than it helps.

in short, if the novice class allows it, start racing it as is and then make the changes as you can to get into the class you want to run. Musboss or a spec class is fun, and usually requires everyone run the same motor, tires, etc. but laps and learning are important while you work your way there.

The Murffdog setup guide is great and there are some good videos on YouTube. Check out JB Trickle’s channel. He has several videos that will help.

And the folks at your track are going to be the best resource. Everyone will have a secret or two but most will be glad to help you get a solid base setup then it’s all about learning, practicing and most importantly… Having Fun!
Old 02-02-2022, 02:10 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jerry30707
Welcome to the hobby!

Looking at the track here looks like fun.

Personally, I'd say the biggest thing is work on your car to not have any binding in parts that should move freely. Overtightening things on the traxxas slash lineup (we see this here with our spec slash class) can cause a lot of this. For gear if I am reading the rules right, I personally would go with sensored ESC and motor setup that is legal for whatever class you plan to run in. The VXLs we have seen here when people raced them had a very on / off feel to them versus natural progression through your throttle pull.

Outside of that, if you are able, talk to some of the fast locals there to see what they recommend for gear. You don't need to go hog wild starting out, but getting some things that are better than others up front can save some headache too.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

what tires and bodies for stock class , thanks
and are these 2WD or 4WD