Wiki Posts
Search

Definition of an RC car

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Definition of an RC car

when I was a kid back in the 50's my folks purchased a police car with a siren, blinking lights, back and white, it ran on a couple of D batteries,. it went forward and backwards had a steering wheel on a tether ..IS THIS AN RC car.."?
if I am wrong.. I will change my signature .I know one thing it drove my parents nuts listening to it run. the siren was always going..
Thanks
Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

RC used to mean Remote Control. A tethered car is technically remotely controlled, so sure, you can think of that as RC experience.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Grandturk
RC used to mean Remote Control. A tethered car is technically remotely controlled, so sure, you can think of that as RC experience.
Thank You
Old 07-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

Imho RC stands for Remote Controlled, not Radio Controlled.

So if the controller is attached through a piece of wire, it's still Remote Controlled. Same with a little helicopter I had. It used infrared, so no radio waves were generated by the transmitter.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Grandturk
+1

Dont let the haters get to you
Old 07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

All comes down to definition of RC. Remote or Radio, kind of a tough one, remote seems to fit a wide array of things, like I also have an "RC helicopter" that is controlled with infrared, much like a TV remote control. Remotely Controlled certainly opens the door for a lot more technology to be included. Specific to the cars talked about on this forum though, Radio Controlled is far more specific and applicable I would think. Sort of like Remote Control covers any unmanned non-autonomously controlled vehicles or devices, where Radio Controlled covers a specific type of way to transfer information between user and vehicle or device. Given they are both shorted to RC makes it all rather confusing. If it was blutooth we'd just call it that, even if it was technically radio controlled, perhaps just a matter of RC having two meanings?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

seriously? The real definition is "a stupid toy that you spend way too much money on and way too much time on."
Old 07-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vw addict
seriously? The real definition is "a stupid toy that you spend way too much money on and way too much time on."
Couldn't agree more

RC = contagious disease

It will take your money, your time and sometimes your family too. Make you react & feel like a kid. Wait in front of the christmas tree like an idiot for your next little toy, cry when you brake it, go to the shop spend thousands of dollars for a few plastic parts that will break again anyway, be an active member of ten different forums where you will spend much more time than you spend in driving, buy stuff you will never need even in your dreams, tell your friends it might be necessary "some day", tell your girlfriend you have to leave for a football training when you play with your friends with your remote controlled things,.. If you can avoid it, do it. If you had a remote control in your hand already, you're lost
Old 07-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pulse_
Couldn't agree more

RC = contagious disease

It will take your money, your time and sometimes your family too. Make you react & feel like a kid. Wait in front of the christmas tree like an idiot for your next little toy, cry when you brake it, go to the shop spend thousands of dollars for a few plastic parts that will break again anyway, be an active member of ten different forums where you will spend much more time than you spend in driving, buy stuff you will never need even in your dreams, tell your friends it might be necessary "some day", tell your girlfriend you have to leave for a football training when you play with your friends with your remote controlled things,.. If you can avoid it, do it. If you had a remote control in your hand already, you're lost

You guys are so cool.. Thanks for the response's .
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vw addict
+1, but we all do it man lol
Old 07-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In the instance of our cars it is Radio Control.

Be it 2.4GHz, 27/75MHz, or any other frequency within the RADIO frequency band, our cars are controlled by signals encoded on a radio wave. The signals are sent by a TRANSMITTER and received by a RECEIVER.

It just so happens that remote control is also abbreviated R/C. One could also argue that the toy car you had as a child was not even remote control, per the definition of remote control which reads;

A remote control is a component of an electronics device, most commonly a television set, DVD player and home theater systems originally used for operating the television device wirelessly from a short line-of-sight distance.

Think of it this way. If instead of having the hand held part connected with wires, your toy car had the buttons on the trunk of the car, and the wires were run internally, and you had to follow the car around depressing the buttons to make the car move. Would that be remote control? Because that is in effect how the toy works. It just so happens that the wires just give you a larger range of motion without having to move with the car.

Either way, change your signature or don't, I really don't care. But just know that your outlandish claim looks rather ridiculous.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
Couldn't agree more

RC = contagious disease

Dude, probably the best explanation of RC I've ever seen. The wife just doesn't get it, and never will, but at least she accepts it. I came home today after a successful day at the teack with my younger brother, beaming with pride telling her about our day, all the while I could see in her eyes that she couldn't wait for me to stop talking about it. Women...

And sorry for the threadjack.. OP, leave your sig how it is- if that's how you got started I say go with it!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm going to just further the controversy. RC cars are all toys! Just don't tell the F1 guys that their cars aren't "models"! They'll freak.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

thanks for the posts.. I changed my signature. as I don't lie.. I might expand a few words here and there. but I still like playing with remote toys. thanks Guys
Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Newbs, all of ya. It's actually "Remote Cocaine". Just total up your bills. It was changed to remote control in the late '60's early '70's to be PC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.