Wiki Posts
Search

Spec/Handout Speedo thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default Spec/Handout Speedo thoughts

I just returned from the ETS race in Poland. In that series they use handout 13.5 motors and everyone must run a Speed Passion Citrix (60.00 speedo). The motors are bought there and you must return it at the end of the race and get it back at the next event (you get the same motor if you purchase it or you can rent a motor each race). The speedo you can buy anywhere (or rent one for the weekend very cheaply) as long as its the correct part number.

My question is this. With so many people complaining about speedos and such here why have we not adapted to a variation of this speedo rule here? All cars were very close in speed, no one complained about freaking software all week (Damn it was nice not having to listen to that crap all week) and the racing was very very close. Not to mention there were 96 entries in the Stock Class!

I for one am a Fan.....Sorry speedo companies but the US needs to get with the program and get some stuff set in stone.

No arguing, no flamming, no idiot comments. Just honest fair opinions on the subject.

If it turns in to a bi''ch fest or argument I'll have your comments deleted and thread closed by Marcos. If you cant contribute constructive opinions then read and leave please.

EA
Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Team EAM

Also before its brought up there is already one company willing to do the rental program in the US to use their speedo for races. I guess its more of if the racers in the US would go along with it.

EA
Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I just returned from the ETS race in Poland. In that series they use handout 13.5 motors and everyone must run a Speed Passion Citrix (60.00 speedo). The motors are bought there and you must return it at the end of the race and get it back at the next event (you get the same motor if you purchase it or you can rent a motor each race). The speedo you can buy anywhere (or rent one for the weekend very cheaply) as long as its the correct part number.

My question is this. With so many people complaining about speedos and such here why have we not adapted to a variation of this speedo rule here? All cars were very close in speed, no one complained about freaking software all week (Damn it was nice not having to listen to that crap all week) and the racing was very very close. Not to mention there were 96 entries in the Stock Class!

I for one am a Fan.....Sorry speedo companies but the US needs to get with the program and get some stuff set in stone.

No arguing, no flamming, no idiot comments. Just honest fair opinions on the subject.

If it turns in to a bi''ch fest or argument I'll have your comments deleted and thread closed by Marcos. If you cant contribute constructive opinions then read and leave please.

EA
Great idea for the "entry level" class in each scale.

Are the motors locked timing/sealed? If so that would prevent rotor swapping, or installation of ceramic bearings, only to have them changed back before handing the motor in.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

I personally love the spec esc idea. I'd be in favor of a spec motor as long as the stators and rotors were measured/checked to be very close across all the handouts. They would not need to be top 10% picked motors, just very similar on the numbers.

Marty Miller
Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest

Are the motors locked timing/sealed? If so that would prevent rotor swapping, or installation of ceramic bearings, only to have them changed back before handing the motor in.
Yes. Motors are sealed and timing is fixed at 10 degrees. Cant be changed or tampered with.

EA
Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Team EAM

Stock is still considered Entry level. Over there at ETS its called Pro Stock though. Its the only class offered and no one complains about it at all!

EA
Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by martymiller
I personally love the spec esc idea. I'd be in favor of a spec motor as long as the stators and rotors were measured/checked to be very close across all the handouts. They would not need to be top 10% picked motors, just very similar on the numbers.

Marty Miller
All motors and rotors are checked before they are handed out to ensure they are close. Never heard anyone complain about motors all week. The only grumble I heard was that they have a 4.50 max/min gear ratio and some guys were saying people were running a 4.49.

EA
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Team EAM

I like the Spec motor idea as well but it may be to expensive to do spec speedo and motor for one race. Over there they use it at all races so its more economical. But if we could get all the US on the same page (large races) it could work out very well for everyone and simplify a lot of things.

EA
Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

EA....you do know we have been doing ETS for years, and TITC at Thailand (open brushless 13.5 class....130 plus entry), and even ATS over Asia. I always wish to bring that idea to US but, it is just complicated.

The only big event that you can see something similar is IIC hosted by Scotty (we did the amature class with hand out motor)....and I really think Scotty is the one can make that happen.

P.S....you did good at the ETS Poland, well done.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default FINE IDEA

Yes any thing that brings the focus back to the drivers and their ability to drive/set up a car is always a good result....even tyres should be regulated and goop banned...
But somethings you simply cant control.
HOW TO STOP GOOPING OUTSIDE THE TRACK ENVIROMENT
PEOPLES PERSONEL PREFFERANCE RE SPEED CONTROLS
But i do feel aussies are feeling te same pain as some of the tracks are bigger than our class systems so their are thoughts that some tracks should have a spotstsman esc and handout motors which could solve the issues re speed at big tracks.
Thus at a big track the handout class might be 10.5 and at a tight track 17.5..
The only problem is you end up disinnfranchising suppliers who arnt allowed to support the events.
BUT I LOVE THE IDEA AS being A DAD iknow what to buy and a level playing field shows of GREAT RACING

Last edited by JAM Racing; 04-16-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Solara
EA....you do know we have been doing ETS for years, and TITC at Thailand (open brushless 13.5 class....130 plus entry), and even ATS over Asia. I always wish to bring that idea to US but, it is just complicated.

The only big event that you can see something similar is IIC hosted by Scotty (we did the amature class with hand out motor)....and I really think Scotty is the one can make that happen.
Yes I do know this and I just arrived home from Poland ETS race and raced there. It works so great over there and is why I am asking here to see how it would be accepted in the US if someone were to try and do it.

From someone who participated I would like to THANK Speed Passion for stepping up and helping the ETS and TITC make this happen! Maybe someone in the US will attempt it one day.

EA
Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I like the Spec motor idea as well but it may be to expensive to do spec speedo and motor for one race. Over there they use it at all races so its more economical. But if we could get all the US on the same page (large races) it could work out very well for everyone and simplify a lot of things.

EA
If two of the three "Majors" were to do it, opinion might be swayed enough.
I think it would require a major manufacturer commitment though.

I'm not the biggest fan of the "one make" speedo idea. I think "non-updatable" speedos from each mfg. would work just as well. Just submit for approval before the season starts. Anything not approved before the season start date wouldn't be legal.........
Old 04-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My knee jerk reaction as to why this couldn't been done here like over there is the same reason why our healthcare system could never be like over there...money.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
My knee jerk reaction as to why this couldn't been done here like over there is the same reason why our healthcare system could never be like over there...money.
Money shouldnt be an issue. 60.00 for a speedo that drives better than most others out there and is just as fast!

EA
Old 04-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Team EAM

If two of the three "Majors" were to do it, opinion might be swayed enough.
I think it would require a major manufacturer commitment though.

I'm not the biggest fan of the "one make" speedo idea. I think "non-updatable" speedos from each mfg. would work just as well. Just submit for approval before the season starts. Anything not approved before the season start date wouldn't be legal.........
Nope...Leave it to one manufacture.....Manufactures can bid on each event. If they loose they are not allowed in. Its how handout brushed motors were done back in the day and no one complained....much...LOL

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.