lets talk tires

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lets talk tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

You know, there is a lot of great products out there that really suffer from their US representation:

Kawahara, GM Racing, STS, and of course Nova Rossi, Picco, Rossi and Sirio.

All of these products are either scarcely available or grossly overprized, or both.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by stefan
You know, there is a lot of great products out there that really suffer from their US representation:

All of these products are either scarcely available or grossly overprized, or both.
Well, GQ tires, Carlton selling for $11.50+tax (1/10 scale). So price more or less fair, quality,I think you better ask guys from Revelation, some of thm used it and they are realy experts (JWF-RONNI, JWF-FRANNI).
Old 10-04-2003, 03:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by stefan

If it's any consolation, the same applys to Oz . . . and I dare say all around the world.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not one mention of TREADZ, TRC or
TAKE-OFF foams.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Well, GQ tires, Carlton selling for $11.50+tax (1/10 scale). So price more or less fair, quality,I think you better ask guys from Revelation, some of thm used it and they are realy experts (JWF-RONNI, JWF-FRANNI).
That may be the case, but that's one track in the US. Where have you seen GQ tires mentioned?
Any of the magazines? Any websites?
Nope!

Only on Ebay!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2003, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by coastaltony
Not one mention of TREADZ, TRC or
TAKE-OFF foams.
The Treadz brand is history since Ernie stole it and made it TRC. They are made by GRP and therefore tha same as Ellegi, Fast, Power, Action, etc.

I have yet to see Take Offs being available in the US. If they are as good as their rubber tires, then they will be awesome.

I personally think the Speedmind tires are the best right now.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

We have a two hour enduro in two weeks
and I just picked up 4 sets of Treadz in 35 & 40. We will see how they hold up. I know that one of the teams is running "Take Off" tires
Old 10-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fmolzer
InitalD, I bought the FC blocks a while ago but have yet to install them, I am kind of hesitant on if I should buy a new 705 kit right now or hold my breath in the hopes that Serpent might release a new version of the 705 in time for me to build one for the winternats. And Yes, Andrew and I are going to Ft Myers together again to get humilitaed (or maybe not ). On 1/5 scale, I have to tell you, we went from two F1 cars in April to 13 racers right now, acctually we are running a road coarse race tonight. They are just sooooo much fun. Seing a field of 10 F1 cars on the starting grid is just incredible. highly recommend it.

Are you heading for Ft Myers as well?
Hey Frederick, you have PM !
Old 10-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've tried Elegi (spokes and soon dish), Mugen Fast, Ufra, Sato Seiki, Jaco, and TakeOff. I haven't tried running a set of each back to back to see how the tire affects lap times so I haven't noticed too much of difference in tire. The main difference I've seen is the wheel. The Jaco's (my least favorite) are stiff and don't flex, but crack and break instead. The Elegi, FastTire, Ufra, Sato were soft plastics which warped easily but didn't break (better for finishing races). The TakeOff wheels are in between those. I have been most concerned with wheel quality. I have a friend who likes the Power Tyres wheels.

I might try speedmind's next. Which combo is everyone using?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

I have tried Power, Fast, Ellegi, Jaco and Speedmind tires and like the Speedminds the best out of these. Course, there is absolutely no difference between Fast and Power, and the Ellegi foams are the same as the Fast/Power tires, but the bendier rims (which I don't like too much) and I skipped Jaco's quite fast as I tried them when they had the glue problem. I love the Speedmind rims and the rate of wear on them as well. The grip is comparable to the rest as well. The only worries I have is getting them when I need them, and the shore measurements:
45ish
40ish ... very strange to acknowledge that your tires aren't matched too closely!

Course I can't say that truthfully unless I had a tire durometer, but that is just funny.

And I too am interested in the performance of Take-off tires.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

On my home track I prefer Track Magnets over the others such as Ellegi, Ennetti, Jaco, Fast, or ATS. Its the only brand of touring tires that I know of that have a dual compound tire (front only), which seems to resist chunking better than other brands when they brush the wall. The rim material is definetely stronger than the other brands. The only issue is that when the wear past the halfway point the foam sometimes separates, but handling doesn't seem to be affected to terribly by this.

As for the strength of the rim itself, I had a head on collision with the wall due to battery failure. Since I don't run the big plastic front bumper, the entire impact was absorbed by the rim itself. Most rims would have been done for at that point usually separating spokes from outer ring, or hub failure. But the track magnets took it all and kept on riding all be it rather bent, I was able to finish the race. I dont think any other brand of rim would have allowed that to happen.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by coastaltony
We have a two hour enduro in two weeks
and I just picked up 4 sets of Treadz in 35 & 40. We will see how they hold up. I know that one of the teams is running "Take Off" tires
Wow, for an enduro race I would run 45/42 or even 45/45 and save at least two pitstops for tire changes and money.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:01 AM

Dear All,

GQ Tires : www.gqproduct.com

Nice orange color wheels, very strong rims for outer side (because of the ribs bbs like design), yet flex enough for the inner side to handle impact. The most important, they are cheap and handle well. My prediction, this would be the most favorites choice among private racers (who needs to pay for tires they burned) for the year 2004 as I heard they already doing well in many countries.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Stefan, I should have clarified that.
Will try the new tires out during
practice.
Stick to a proven formula on race day.
Nitro Shoes.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

Why can't they make the rims in gunmetal, white, or sliver color like real race cars have...I can't remember when I saw a car with orange rims or bright yellow rims. I know that has nothing to do with tire compound...but I got into RC racing because I wanted a race car that looks like a real race car (and because I can't a fford a real race car...YET!!!) not something out of a cartoon.