Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unwritten Rules

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Greg Sharpe
For once, I'll play devils advocate...... mind you this is not to be taken seriously.

"The outside pass is grounds for an immediate peeling. If some guy is about to embarass you by going the long way around your sled, you are cleared to dump him. If you feel the need to pass your buddy on the outside just for bragging rights, be preppared to eat board."

I heard that at Snowbirds last year, laughed myself to sleep that night (or maybe I didn't sleep that week? hrm?).
Not talking directly to you...since you did not come up with this, but...if you are slow, and I am passing you on the outside, because that is the only way I can get around you, and you take me out, be well prepared to have you car punted...OFF the track. I have done that, and the person will think twice about taking me out because I was passing them.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by =MisFitz= NuKe
Not talking directly to you...since you did not come up with this, but...if you are slow, and I am passing you on the outside, because that is the only way I can get around you, and you take me out, be well prepared to have you car punted...OFF the track. I have done that, and the person will think twice about taking me out because I was passing them.

just what we need in this hobby. just make sure u take ur lines so he wont ACCIDENTALY take u out.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by dakrat
just what we need in this hobby. just make sure u take ur lines so he wont ACCIDENTALY take u out.
Nono, I am not trying to start anything by this...but really, if I am sure that I can make the pass cleanly (and I wouldn't try unless I was sure), and I go ahead and make the pass, then I am taken out on purpose as Greg Sharpe mentioned, then I think the person should get a taste of their own medicine.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just kick back, relax, and have fun. It's been said here but if you're being lapped, move over. It's faster for both people. Trying to hold someone off slows you down as well as them. And in qualifying, even if you're not being lapped but you've got a guy who may have started behind you on the grid who's all over you, it's better for both if you let him by. It's qualifying. If he's that much faster, he's going to have a better time anyways and it'll let you be faster as well. In the main, it's another story. Lapped, yes, move over. For position, fight for it. Also, on the stand, if you're going to let someone by, tell them. Say, "go low in sweeper", etc... That way they know where you're going and makes the pass smoother.

Feel free to ask the fast guys for help but make sure you don't do it when they're thrashing or have their car in 100 parts on the bench. Most guys are happy to help but if they're in a rush to get something done, they may say something they don't mean. On the same note, if you're a faster guy, do what you can to help anyone who needs it. And if you're thrashing and someone does come up for help, just be polite and ask them if they can wait until you're done.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If Ur Mad at Urself (during a race) and U start bouncing Ur car off the wall (on puspose), do it when nobodies gonna git hit. Better yet, I just need to pull over.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Tech Addict

i think you took that little anecdote waaaay to seriously..
Old 04-29-2005, 04:50 AM
Tech Regular

-you should marshall as well as you'd expect others to marshall for you.

This is the main thing I wish would happen at our track. Mostly its oval guys and most of them are always arguing back and forth. The touring guys who are the minority are all laughing and helping each other out much as we can.

Bad thing is there is an oval heat right before ours...the 19T guys, the fast guys. I guess they think they are too good to marshall since it usually takes about 10 minutes to get anyone out there. Then if you do get hung up they "walk" over and nudge you with their foot. But if you arent sprinting through 10 other cars doing 40+mph to get theirs, well you get a reaming.

That and the fact that touring is usually the last heat of the night and more than once we had to run an entire race with one kid trying to cover the whole track cause the oval guys packed up and left as soon as their race was over.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree. If you a nice enough to take the outside line and try and avoid them, and they purposly take you out, then next time I'm gonna take there line and steal it, by punting them out the way.
Glad to say, where I race everybody is pretty clean.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

For sure stick around and marshal the race you are supposed to. Locally I have seen way to many people to cool to marshal and for some reason you get stuck with no one around!

Also when you are on a drivers stand and there is not much room. Don't try and muscle your way right next to me and then rub me the whole race. Nothing can screw up a run more than that!

Personal Space!

It's a scary thing when you are first starting. Take a new guy under your wings and help them out. You never know when that person will be there to help you!
Old 04-29-2005, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by losi jon
i think you took that little anecdote waaaay to seriously..
I am just a bit bitter. It happened at a very big gas on-road race. Where I race locally, we are cool to each other and very rarely have problems.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by dsrbltoys
A rule we have in place. If you hit someone, and take them out, you must wait for them to regain their position in front of you before you go again. This is a much more accepted way of saying "your sorry".
You find the decent guys and the not so decent everywhere.

We have guys in particular here that respect that rule. They are our top 2 modified drivers. They are a pleasure to watch. They dice within inches of each other and rarely touch. When they do the one that bumped will always wait.

Unfortunately this does not apply with all drivers, however you learn which drivers are courteous and which are not, and next time you bump them.......you don't stop. But it's a pity that should ever need to happen.

I can understand a beginner driver bumping and boring, half the time it's all he can do to keep the car on the track, but when you see expert drivers who deliberately dive into a corner too fast knowing they will make it through by leaning on someone, that sort of thing is inexcusable. And yes, there are guys that drive that way constantly.

What you need is a race director with a big stick.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

Top X rules of pitmanship:

7) Don't take up the whole pit area with your entire collection of r/c related and non-r/c related paraphanalia
6) don't play your (crappy) music loud.
5) at first come first serve pitting, get there early for the best pit
4) Dont use your radio unless you have the frequency clip
3) return those tools! or buy your own tools
2) have a battery ready for your race
1) ****clean your area up after racing is over****

i'm sure others could add to this.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by dsrbltoys
A rule we have in place. If you hit someone, and take them out, you must wait for them to regain their position in front of you before you go again. This is a much more accepted way of saying "your sorry".
We do it a little differently around here... if I'm racing for positioon and bump the car ahead of me and get by I'll wait for him to get back in front, but only as long as cars further behind aren't about to go by us.

For example, if I'm trying to pass the second place car and I board him, I'll wait for him to get back in front of me, but if fourth fifth, and sixth come along I'm taking off. If the car I contacted manages to get past them, then I'll slow and let him back in front of me.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I love the rule about returning a motor in the same condition you lent it out as....
Alan you didn't cut that comm before giving it back.....BAD Friend BAD....LOL
I am known for getting upset at marshall's when really it is the hack that just shot me over a board...I am getting better and have taken my frustration to the person who is hacking....Not in a bad way but going over to that person and telling him or her, that they hacked me and that it is rude to not at least say sorry.

Now my favorite rule is.
1) IF YOU ARE QUALIFING (especially IFMAR qualifing) LET THE FASTER GUYS BY.....Not only does it help there lap times but it helps yours by not fighting a line so hard you are acctually loosing times....

Here is the story of my last race outing..
I was on TQ pace or at least on the same lap as TQ and I was leading my heat with out much of a problem I could just keep turing laps....Here is where it got ugly....I was coming up on Lap traffic and for some reason the second from the last guy would not let me pass like he had something to prove or what not. I just sat on his tail for a half lap and found my opening when he went wide on a corner and I went low into the corner, he came right in front of me and I hit him and by doing so got flipped over and T-Boned by another car and he hit me so hard it knocked my servo plug out of the reciever.....That killed me all the way down to the D main....Although it was fun running down there I had some great lap times tooo....I did laugh about it quite a bit but the guy who hacked me never said sorry or even checked to see what he broke....THAT IS WHERE MY NEXT FAVORITE RULE COMES IN...
2) If you accidently brake someone you should repay them for what you broke....I have hit some guys before and broke an A arm right before the qualifier and didn't even know I broke him...
I went over and said I was sorry and that I would like to buy him a pack of new arms...His father just said to me that appoliguiesing (spelling) was more than enough...
Now see that is what I am talking about...
Not only was it good sportsmanship what I did but even better his son doesn't have a bad taste left in his mouth about that event.
Sorry I was long winded but just getting rid of the last bit of frustration...LOL
Take Care & GOD Bless,
Remember HOBBY is by definition suppose to be FUN..
Stephen <><
Old 04-29-2005, 07:38 AM
Suspended

If the drivers' stand is full during practice, don't try to muscle your way in between two drivers. Don't even bother with the "excuse me, could you move over?" bit. Just wait for 2 friggin minutes until someone finishes. The last thing drivers want is to be jostled around when they're driving.

However, if you're one of those drivers that feels the need to drive in an 'open' stance (with your legs spread 3 feet apart), STOP THAT! People are waiting to practice. Not only is it inconsiderate, but you look like a retard! Yes, people are laughing at you.

Oh, and lastly, don't wizz in someone's tire washing bucket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.