Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Looking for a nice truggy >

Looking for a nice truggy

Looking for a nice truggy

Old 08-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for a nice truggy

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum, and I'm shopping for truggies. I am currently looking at the INFERNO ST-RR by Kyosho. Any kyhoso owners out there? Reviews?

What about other truggy owners.. Reviews or suggestions?

I am not really into racing yet, but would like to do some. I am not a super-skilled driver, but I have a great time. I have an XTM buggy that I just put a new engine in, and I enjoy that but need to replace the front servo.

I watched a couple of truggies racing at Area 52 in WA and they looked really fun. Any suggestions or links to specs or online truggy sales is appreciated.

Cheers and thanks for a huge repository of knowledge here,

Blue
Old 08-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

the kyosho truggies are nice, they handle good, but they have alot off issues with the differentials and diff cases, i have seen alot of guys at the track have issues with them, the mugens seem bullet proof, a few guys are running the jammin x2 they look like they handle as aggressive as the kyosho, but dont have the difff shimming issue of the kyosho, i saw the rc8t in action at regional race a few weeks ago, it looks to be really agile, but dont know about durability yet
Old 08-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I've ran several of the major brands to include Jammin and Mugen. I've never had a Kyosho and some seem to have great luck with them but I also know some that have had there problems. As far as durability and fit and finish I would recommend the Xray XT8. I currently race one and as far as wear compared to the other brands they are tops in there class, the materials they use are simply top notch and I think you would be very pleased with it.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1 for ST-RR no issues on mine
Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

All truggies on the market right now are very nice. I would base my purchase on parts availabilty, price & product support from team drivers. In my opinion Kyosho, Mugen, Xray and a few other BIG name products are just way over priced. I see so many people get those buggies/truggies then they complain that they cant afford the tires, engines & parts for the thing. I am going to be running all the TQ products buggy & truggy because of the price of the product and the team support for set ups. Parts availibility will only get better when more people realize how good the buggy & truggy really are.

My .02
Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

i would get one of the newest truggies, either the jammin or the rc8t that is coming out, the other ones have been on the market for a while and most likely will be replaced with in the next few months, kyosho will most likely have a replacement based of the mp9 and mugen will have one based on the mbx6, xray will most likley have a 808 truggy, so to invest into a new kit only to have a new one come out in a few months wouldnt be the best idea, i got to check out the rc8t in person and hold it, its really light compared to the other ones i have run in the past, i think there is gonna be alot of new technology coming out before the holidays to try to get some of that green
Old 08-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Initiate

I don't think you can go wrong with a Losi 8ight-T or a Mugen.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Biran Kadow said it pretty well. Get what you like, get what's easy to get parts for cause if you race something will break. I've got the X2. The build was easy, the diffs are butter smooth, I don't like the chasis braces but other than that I don't have any complaints.

Last edited by ab18th; 10-14-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would recommend a Mugen Truggy
Old 08-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

CEN matrix TR great price durable and fun to drive
Old 08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm gonna go check out the ones suggested online now. :-)

Keep'em comin!

-= Blue
Old 08-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rav_cherry
I don't think you can go wrong with a Losi 8ight-T or a Mugen.
The Losi is a great truck... but has rear ring and pinion gear issues... eats them like candy.

The Mugen is bulletproof... but not particularly agile.

I have a Jammin X1CRT, not bad... but...

The best I have driven is the XRay XT8. Very agile, great performer, tough as nails.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default The CEN Truggy looks great!

The CEN Truggy looks great and is leading the pack on my current research list.

Any nay sayers?

-= Blue
Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Default The Xray looks great too.. but a bit pricey

The XRay looks awesome, but at over 600$ before radio etc.. It's too much $$$ for me.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

the cen is way to old in design, they have the huge spur gear because of the drive system they use, to make the cen good you will have to spend a ton of money to make it as good as another truggy out there, i would suggest just picking up a used mugen mbx5t prospec, they are one of the most durable trucks you can get, then once the dust settles and all the companies have there new ones out get one, i wouldnt get the old jammin either it has that old style diff set up

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.