Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by C0NTENDER
Just a question, isn't the 1725g weight requirement with the body and fuel included?
No, that is with body, tires, radio gear, and personal transponder, no fuel in the car. Personally, I would rather have a well balanced, slightly overweight car than an underweight car having to add weight and mess up the balance.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Guys,

Just wanna pass along the words, MicroRCshop has R40 parts for 30% off.
Don't miss it.

Vince
www.microRCshop.com
Old 02-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by rod_b
.........Also thinking about drilling some holes in the spur gears. Not that this would save you a whole bunch in weight but I've seen it done on the old Impulse spurs to try to lighten them up to get a little better acceleration response. Holes in the chassis sounds a little extreme to me...especially if you have no way to balance it. Anyone else with any ideas?
That is probably the LAST THING you should try.........you already said that, BALANCE....on anything CIRCLE, you must have a perfect computer system to make sure the holes you drilled are balance on the circle....it is not like drilling a hole and thats it, on objects like a SPUR gears, that will created unbalance issue...

Just like your real car's tire, they have a computerized balance machine to determine WHERE to add the extra weight so the tires can be balance....exactly the same concept on your spur gear....so buy the gears from HPI if 1 day they decided to created on or leave it alone.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by JLock
No, that is with body, tires, radio gear, and personal transponder, no fuel in the car. Personally, I would rather have a well balanced, slightly overweight car than an underweight car having to add weight and mess up the balance.

In that case, with the changes I have made and the few others that I'm going to make, I have nothing to worry about.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

I dont know why you guys are trying to compare weights over the net. Has anyone zeroed there scales out with a certified weight? Digital scales are so inaccurate you really shouldnt worry so much about weight. What do the other cars on the market weigh.

Also remember this:
Heavy car-stable and smooth
Light car-responsive and twitchy

Old 02-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by CraigH
I dont know why you guys are trying to compare weights over the net. Has anyone zeroed there scales out with a certified weight? Digital scales are so inaccurate you really shouldnt worry so much about weight. What do the other cars on the market weigh.

Also remember this:
Agree but on the SAME digital scales my V1R EVO weighs 1725g whereas my HPI weighs 1875g

Car still accelerates and corners great, but getting it into the 1700s cannot hurt it.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont know why you guys are trying to compare weights over the net. Has anyone zeroed there scales out with a certified weight?

Also remember this:
I don't think anyone here is trying to be exact. These are just ball park figures. Give or take a gram or two, it's just something to compare against.

As for me, my gaol is not to get lighter, I have just made a couple of changes that I saw fit, in the process my car weighs less. It handled great before the changes, and I'm sure it will handle great afterwards.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

I am not saying lighter isnt better. The only thing I can think of being heavier is a plus is a tank. Its just kind of funny how people get obsessed with the weight of the R40. I can see lots of weight to be lost in the drivetrain. Anyone tried any of the 3racing drivetrain parts?
Also there was a rumour of a ball diff for it, is that still on the drawing board or has it been scrapped?
I am trying to decide R40 or 710?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

I am not saying lighter isnt better. The only thing I can think of being heavier is a plus is a tank. Its just kind of funny how people get obsessed with the weight of the R40. I can see lots of weight to be lost in the drivetrain. Anyone tried any of the 3racing drivetrain parts?
Also there was a rumour of a ball diff for it, is that still on the drawing board or has it been scrapped?
I am trying to decide R40 or 710?
If you have ever competed at a high level (dunno if you have) you will see most everybodys car is 1725g. Hara and the HPI team have both admitted that the car is heavy stock and also taken considerable steps to lighten it. I dont think it is an obsession to lighten the car up. I have done it with every car I have raced in fact, my V1R EVO went on a serious diet.

The drivetrain is very heavy at the 2 speed and the clutch when compared with other cars. In fact one of the specific improvements of the 710 was to lighten these areas. There is a Kawahara item available to get the 2 speed weight down and also to change to 0.8 module gearing. 3 racing has a lightened flywheel. I think it really needs a lightened clutchbell as well as this thing is comparitively massive.

However after saying all the above in stock form this car is awesome and accelerates really really well. My "heavy" R40 out accelerated some cars on the weekend and also carried a better top end than most.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

AMG-I see you on the 710 thread alot- whats your take on both cars? I have been looking at the cost of both plus extra parts. Our nitro season hasnt started yet but its time to start buying. The price difference if I buy 1 car plus a spare car for parts plus extra spares of common items that break its a big price difference. Enough for 2 motors almost. Serpent has HPI beat in support for the car, and I really like the DRS rear end. Decisions Decisions

BTW the DRS is not a new idea- Team Lola used it on there race cars in late 60-70
Old 02-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

AMG-I see you on the 710 thread alot- whats your take on both cars? I have been looking at the cost of both plus extra parts. Our nitro season hasnt started yet but its time to start buying. The price difference if I buy 1 car plus a spare car for parts plus extra spares of common items that break its a big price difference. Enough for 2 motors almost. Serpent has HPI beat in support for the car, and I really like the DRS rear end. Decisions Decisions

BTW the DRS is not a new idea- Team Lola used it on there race cars in late 60-70
I have some friends who have the 710 and really like it. Personally I have not seen it in real life for very long so I dont have a meaningful opinion. The one I have seen racing was fast for sure.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Well, I think I'm gonna go out and actually race the car instead of trying to put in on a diet. I just weighed my NTC3. It accelerates awesome and is nimble in the turns and is at 1770g with full diameter foams, body and no fuel. That's just 20g lighter than my R40. Actually, I know the NTC3 is a bit tubby since I'm running the RDLogic aluminum diff cases. But after comparing the weight of the 2, I realize that it's more about what you do with the car and less about the car itself.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

I realize that it's more about what you do with the car and less about the car itself
Very True !
Old 02-17-2004, 07:20 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

anyone know if the Mugen clutch can be used on this car?
Old 02-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by B
anyone know if the Mugen clutch can be used on this car?
Yes it can

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.