Wiki Posts
Search

Guidance on selecting a brushless motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Guidance on selecting a brushless motor

I've been running LRP motors in most of my kits because they're what I first started with, on the recommendation of one of the AE team drivers. Since then I have also run Tekin and Phantom motors. Honestly, I can't tell the difference. They're all around the same process and all seem to have the same features. I only bought the Tekin because it was cheaper when bundled with an RS Pro that I run in my touring car (great ESC) and I picked up the Fantom at a hobby shop when I needed to run 17.5 and it was the only one in stock.

Picking an ESC seems a lot easier to me - but how does one decide which motor to buy, other than just going with the same make as your ESC?

(hint: magazine editors - this would be a good topic for you to tackle, if you haven't already)

EDIT: just realized that I should have posted this in the "Radio and Electronics" forum. Oops! Moderators, feel free to move it for me.

Last edited by mdowney; 09-23-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

With timing adjustable radios does the actual brand matter anymore? I look for motors that are easily rebuildable, think Novak, Tekin, etc. If a particular brand is known for running hot, I'll stay away from them. I run Tekin and Speed Passion. VERY happy with both.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Company Representative

Our new Ballistic motors---both 540s and 550s---are completely rebuildable and the service components are always available. The ability to make all minor motor repairs yourself, saves motor trips back to the factory.

Our TeamNovak web site has a lot of information on our motors and other racing products and accessories.

Originally Posted by mdowney
I've been running LRP motors in most of my kits because they're what I first started with, on the recommendation of one of the AE team drivers. Since then I have also run Tekin and Fantom motors. Honestly, I can't tell the difference. They're all around the same process and all seem to have the same features. I only bought the Tekin because it was cheaper when bundled with an RS Pro that I run in my touring car (great ESC) and I picked up the Fantom at a hobby shop when I needed to run 17.5 and it was the only one in stock.

Picking an ESC seems a lot easier to me - but how does one decide which motor to buy, other than just going with the same make as your ESC?

(hint: magazine editors - this would be a good topic for you to tackle, if you haven't already)

EDIT: just realized that I should have posted this in the "Radio and Electronics" forum. Oops! Moderators, feel free to move it for me.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the replies. Being able to easily and cheaply rebuild does seem like a good selling point to me. I was under the impression, however, that all of the big manufacturers (LRP, Tekin, Novak, Castle, Speed Passion) already did this. I know I ordered an LRP rebuild kit that I haven't needed yet.

Am I wrong?

I also didn't realize that LRP had a rep for running hotter than others (a few have told me this privately). I've temp'd mine many times and have never found them to be outside of an acceptable range, though I'm also careful not to over-gear. That is definitely a concern of mine now, though.

I think I'll pick up a Novak motor next and give it a shot. I've heard good things. I do run a Novak Mongoose ESC/motor combo in my mini crawler and it works really well. I like that Novak is always quick to introduce purpose-built products before anyone else (though I admit I don't know how much is just marketing/re-packaging and how much is true use-case-driven engineering. I assume it's the latter.)
Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies. Being able to easily and cheaply rebuild does seem like a good selling point to me. I was under the impression, however, that all of the big manufacturers (LRP, Tekin, Novak, Castle, Speed Passion) already did this. I know I ordered an LRP rebuild kit that I haven't needed yet.

Am I wrong?

I also didn't realize that LRP had a rep for running hotter than others (a few have told me this privately). I've temp'd mine many times and have never found them to be outside of an acceptable range, though I'm also careful not to over-gear. That is definitely a concern of mine now, though.
In my experiences the LRP motors run hotter, cog off the line, just a little past the dead band and under a heavy load, the bearings go out very often, you have to keep them oiled and cleaned for them to even perform well...
Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Company Representative

Am I wrong?

Most motor companies offer a few rebuild parts, but we offer every component in our Ballistic motors to Novak customers. We are one of the few companies that offer replacement wound stators for sale. We make all of our motors here in CA and always have the full assortment of service parts available.

We also offer an exclusive and comprehensive trade-in program for both our motors and escs; customers can return any BL motor or esc (brush or brushless) we have ever made and exchange or upgrade to one of our current products.

Brushless Motor Trade-In program
Old 09-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Most motor companies offer a few rebuild parts, but we offer every component in our Ballistic motors to Novak customers. We are one of the few companies that offer replacement wound stators for sale. We make all of our motors here in CA and always have the full assortment of service parts available.

We also offer an exclusive and comprehensive trade-in program for both our motors and escs; customers can return any BL motor or esc (brush or brushless) we have ever made and exchange or upgrade to one of our current products.

Brushless Motor Trade-In program
Wow - that's pretty compelling. How about performance? How to the Novaks do relative to the items Shirk mentioned about LRP?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Company Representative

Wow - that's pretty compelling. How about performance? How to the Novaks do relative to the items Shirk mentioned about LRP?
All spec motors are built to fairly exacting ROAR specifications---therefore, there should be only minor performance differences among different mfgs' sensored motors of the same wind. Novak engineers designed the original sensored motors for electric R/C racing; we have many years' experience in motor design and manufacture.

Our Ballistics are extremely high quality motors. We are currently preparing a web-site slide show of our Ballistic motor production to illustrate the many (many) steps we take in motor manufacture.

Any BL motor can exhibit problems if not set-up correctly, monitored for excessive heat and cleaned/maintained. These are racing motors that will last a long time, if properly treated.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All my Novak motors have performed flawlessly all season, I tried a used LRP
which did it's job as a spare. And I will keep it that way till something changes. I will say to try the High Torque rotors if you can, I run a 12.7 rotor in a 13.5 and 17.5 with awesome results.