Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cavalieri running mid motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by asc6000
Great company, great products but perhaps the word "pioneered" has a better alternative. Euro based mid motored cars have been around forever it seems like. Even here in the US we ran mid motor gold tub rc10's in the 80's.

True - but it wasn't like we were really able to get them to work back then (because the wheelbases were so short and the weight of the nicads pushed the weight bias too far forward), and we didn't run much carpet offroad back then either whereas the Euros were always seeking alternative surfaces because of their weather. I also thing bragging about national titles over there is a bit over the top too, as it's comparable to state championship over here in most cases. I also think they'd be a big bugged if anyone threadjacked their threads with info on a competitor's car.
Then again the whole idea of "catching up" has really only been brought on since the advent and use of lightweight lipo batteries, which allows for better and easier pinpoint weight distribution, and more running of higher traction surfaces.
If their cars were really that good, and no offense intended, then it seems as if the Dirtinator would have garnered some more titles while he was running for them.

But we're getting off-topic ......... let's get back to the AE/CML Centro C4.1
Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im trying to figure out why the two top guys for x factory felt they needed to chime in on this tread when they have there own they must be worried (lol)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well saying I started the thread...
Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Not trying to ruffle feathers sorry
Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

All good, just glad to see that there is interest in the general public about mid motor now
Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If they ran mid-motor at the nats, would you not have to be able to put a full size lipo in the car before you run, per ROAR rules?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JayL
If they ran mid-motor at the nats, would you not have to be able to put a full size lipo in the car before you run, per ROAR rules?
Saddle packs are legal in other classes, so why not offroad?
But since a saddle pack, while taking up roughly the same front-to-rear space as a shorty pack, being the same overall length of a full-size pack they'd be legal as per ROAR rules.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pablo040
...so why not offroad? ...
I recall reading somewhere that the rules were implemented to deter development of battery-specific vehicles/chassis by maintaining support of standardized component sizes.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

I think it's only a matter of time before ROAR realizes the stupidity of that rule. Pretty soon everyone will be running shorty packs. How many still use nicad or nimh at their races? I'll bet none or at least no one competitive. While stifle future car design and innovation for a fading battery style?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

I also wouldn't go too hard on X-Factory for coming in here promoting their car. Cavalleri is running a Centro kit while is a mid motor conversion for the B4. It is either not available here or very tough to get here. The X6 however is available here and it too is a mid motor B4. It is a solution. People get too caught up on what some pro uses and somehow feel that copying them is the guaranteed recipe to success. It isn't. I even encourage people not to copy their setup sheets since they are so irrelevant.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by gee-dub
I recall reading somewhere that the rules were implemented to deter development of battery-specific vehicles/chassis by maintaining support of standardized component sizes.
I think I read the same thing, though I always thought it kind of dumb being as saddle packs are "vehicle specific" in they're really only been used in pan cars and a very few offroad cars.

Originally Posted by fredswain
I think it's only a matter of time before ROAR realizes the stupidity of that rule. Pretty soon everyone will be running shorty packs. How many still use nicad or nimh at their races? I'll bet none or at least no one competitive. While stifle future car design and innovation for a fading battery style?
I agree, and I hope they address it soon. Always thought it was pretty ridiculous. And considering my buggy only uses roughly 1400mAh during the course of a 6-minute race, it seems rather pointless needing to have a big ol' 5800mAh (or larger) 6-cell sized pack just so I can be legal.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fredswain
the rule wasn't implemented to deter shorty packs, it was made to deter companies from designing a car around an odd size battery. Example would be a company making a car that only accepted a pack size that only they made so you had to buy the pack from them. Now that shorties are more common I would hope the rule would be updated so say something along the lines of "only ROAR approved packs" can be used or something to that affect.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

saddle packs are considered a full size battery...if it can fit a saddle its good to go
Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pablo040

If their cars were really that good, and no offense intended, then it seems as if the Dirtinator would have garnered some more titles while he was running for them.
Have a look at Brian Kinwalds results while he was running for X-Factory compared to his results now running for Associated.
I think you will find in 2WD Mod at big races that he was consistently well placed in the A-Main with the X-Factory but with the Associated he is no where to be seen.
I guarantee if the big drivers put some real time into the mid motor cars you would not see many rear motored cars any more.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

^ I would also contribute that to BK's affinity to run indoor high bite grooved tracks. Where mid motor is more of a benefit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.