Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What do you think of more than 10 cars per race? >

What do you think of more than 10 cars per race?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you think of more than 10 cars per race?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I like the idea, and I REALLY like the idea when in you increase the time of the heat from 5mins to 10mins or something....
Old 07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Wow...you'd actually have to work to pass people....
Old 07-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default Yes it can be done.

I to agree, it can be done and it's welcome in my book, this past weekend i had the PLEASURE of watching a 15 car very cleanly run 1/8 scale offroad race, granted it's a different dicipline, my point is if it can be done with vehiclles flying up over, and around one another, we as sedan drivers should be more than capable, most track would have to be enlargd from my experience but bring it on!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

IMO and experience Sedan racers are very prissy.... Many have the "just punt the slower cars" attitude, which is the absolute worst you thing you can do. I'm not lumping all y'all into it so no flaming, but we all know the guys I'm talking about. RC's used to be about having fun with a group of friends, now it's all about getting sponsorship and winning at all costs....
Old 07-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

It would be cool, I think that it would make it more realistic. It would slow it down a bit giving people (like me) who don’t spend all my money on batteries a better chance of doing well.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
IMO and experience Sedan racers are very prissy.... Many have the "just punt the slower cars" attitude, which is the absolute worst you thing you can do. I'm not lumping all y'all into it so no flaming, but we all know the guys I'm talking about. RC's used to be about having fun with a group of friends, now it's all about getting sponsorship and winning at all costs....
That is so true. I remember back in 99 when I started racing sedan and that was really bad for a while at the track. I went back to offroad because of the punting.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

15 car fields and rollling starts!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by polesitter61
15 car fields and rollling starts!
Now you're talking!!!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think the punting is uncalled for in any form of racing, this is the reason why I love 1/12th. If someone punts your car, they stand just as much chance of causing damage to their car as yours. Crashing is a bad thing with 1/12th scales as it causes things to go out of adjustment and can ruin your whole race.

Back on topic: more than 10 cars is ok on circuits that are big enough. The carpet tracks around here seem like they would get overcrowded.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

I like 10 cars on the track, but i'm an old school racer who's been racing for a couple decades. I also miss having numbers on cars and start at tone racing at the weekly local level. Now nobody knows who's driving what car and you don't race your freinds anymore, you race the clock.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

just like to add
Tryhard (Edd clark) has allready been sounding this out
here`s bit of info from the c-sracing thread he posted on
also Edd ask dave spashett for he`s views on this

a) shortern the finals grids. Currently rule book states that 30m is required as a minimum for a grid (3m X 10slots). Either re-size the spacing (say 30/12 = 2.5m) or just add two more (if space allows). Would need looking in detail for each individual track, but not a massive hurdle

b) Start internvals, I see no problem with still using 1 sec stagger.... it is only 2seconds extra after all. Not many tracks I've been to with sub-12sec laps , Car overlap, not entirely sure what you mean, if thats with regards to lineing up on the Q line.... just have two rows (I know on some tracks with ten this happens now, and when I've been the tenth car in round one, I sit behind everyone else... doesn't affect my run).

Cheers for the thoughts though Mike, it's needed as I view things from a drivers perspective more than an organizers (although I am trying to do both )

One other thought.... with 12 drivers, thats two extra marshall's.... Race Refs guys??

Just running through the rule book at the mo, seeing what might need amending for such a proposal.

Ed

I Wouldn`t like tryhard not to get any reconition from he`s posting (idea) by the way
Old 07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

Wait a second guys, I have the solution! It's been solved for many many years and its even in the rulebooks.

ROW STARTS. and if you ask how do they get through the first turn, you'll find out one way or another

or seeing how it really doesn't matter where at on the track you start because your clock doesn't begin until you cross the line...(some programs force starts after 1st car completes first lap) get the cars out on the track, let them warm up a lap or two. tell them less than 5s so they know to be away from the Line and then hit it
or put the cars out in order all the way around the track, near turn marshals perhaps and basically a full field start but ifmar counting.

but really, unless they only run a max of 6 or 8 cars in a main, the limiting factor is not the track, its the driver stand. anyone that tells you different has problems driving in traffic now and punts already.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think it definatly depends on the size of the track. If the track is really large, that would be great. But if it is a medium or small track, the crouding would just piss people off.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

velodrome in indy runs 20 cars at the big races per heat. at least it was in 1996 the last time I ran there.

Frank Calandra runs 15 in 12th scale at his track in NY

one pro series offroad nitro race I saw went to 12 with 3 bumpups for 15 in the main

jlap works with 15 scoring pro 15 and autoscore is the only one with 20 as far as I know. but it costs extra. 10 is standard.

if you put about a second bewteen cars it's not bad with onroad like was said 20 second track 20 cars. but you have to have a good announcer also to keep track of that many cars. it's just not a driverstand/freq/scoring thing. some tracks it's hard enough to track 8 cars let alone 15

I think it will happen but it will take some time and only with tracks that have a drivers stand that can handle it which aren't most tracks indoors and only a few outdoors
Old 07-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have been to more than 1 track that if there was 10 in the heat, a couple of people were standing next to the drivers stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.