Wiki Posts
Search

Which charger to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Which charger to get?

Im looking for a charger to charge 2 3300 mah stick packs for my starter box. no lipos or anything. im using a dynamite prophet sport right now and its having a fault and overcharging my batteries. whats the best charger to get for what i need? thanks.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroMaxx3.3
Im looking for a charger to charge 2 3300 mah stick packs for my starter box. no lipos or anything. im using a dynamite prophet sport right now and its having a fault and overcharging my batteries. whats the best charger to get for what i need? thanks.
-don't know about the "best" but i bought this to charge my receiver packs for my 1/8th cars. it will charge Nicd, Nimh, Lipo, Li-Ion and Pb........... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXMAH9
Old 06-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I would look at the "ICE" charger made by duratrax http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4170.html
Old 06-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the bigger Triton (not the Jr.) and I love it! Matter of fact, I am charging some li-ions right now. The only down side is you need a power supply. I just hook it up to my car battery. Any of the basic chargers will suit your needs, unless you have a bunch of different types of batteries, then get a Triton.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I would go with any of the chargers that have dual output (charges two battteries at once). If your on a budget go with the Hobbico dual charger also MRC makes one; I believe its the Superbrain 977 both of these chargers have dual output the 977 also has a discharge function thats the one I have.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I also have the Triton...great charger but i think i would prefer a two output charger like the MRC 977.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the MRC 977. Just a few things to keep in mind...
  • In order to reset the charger, you have to disconnect it from the power source.
  • No memory feature
  • If you want banana connectors on the 2nd output, you have to strip the leads and put your own connectors on it. Note: If you happen to know of a female banana connector that doesn't need an enclosure, please let me know!
  • The charge/discharge stats disappear after a certain time with no recall ability.
  • This charger will not allow you to charge your battery if it's completely dead. You'll have to partially charge it with another charger first and then switch it over.

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 06-08-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

You make some great points Rmdhawaii. I changed both of my outputs to Deans. I actually melted the Bananna plug output. I believe the 977 is more of a nitro charger. Most of the points you listed don't come up in nitro charging too often. I believe this is geat for nitro application. I just don't need a memory or profile for charging my started box batteries
Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Now that we talk about it... at what amp can someone charge the newer 7.2V ~4000Nimh batteries?

I charged my starter box ones which has two 3000Nimh at 3amp and they got very hot.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vti-chris
Now that we talk about it... at what amp can someone charge the newer 7.2V ~4000Nimh batteries?

I charged my starter box ones which has two 3000Nimh at 3amp and they got very hot.
Very hot - hot enough to melt the shrink film is a sure sign of overcharging are you using a charger with peak detection. You possiably could have a bad cell - these things are designed to discharge at 35 amps plus.

The electric guys will charge 4200's at 6 amps
Old 06-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NitroMaxx3.3

I work at a hobby store and the best bang for the $$ would be the Triton jr if you have 12v power around. You can charge both packs at once if you want to and then use it to charge reciver pack or glow starter. If you have AC power go with an Indy 16 x 4 will do everything Triton will do but no LiPo

Triton jr

Charges 1-14 Nickel-Cadmium or Nickel-Metal Hydride cells,
1-4 Lithium-Polymer or Lithium-Ion cells (LiPo or Li-Ion),
or 2-12V lead-acid batteries (Pb)
Precision "Zero DeltaV" Peak Detection for NiCd and NiMH batteries
"Constant Current/Constant Voltage" charge method for Pb and LiPo/
Li-Ion batteries
0.1 - 5.0A adjustable Charge Current, limited to 1C rating for LiPo
batteries
0.1 - 1.0A adjustable Discharge Current
Automatically sets TRICKLE Charge Current at 1/20th the Fast Charge
current setting (NiCd/MH only)
Adjustable Discharge Cutoff Voltages for NiCd/MH, pre-set voltages
for Pb and LiPo/Ion
Cycles NiCd and NiMH batteries from 1 to 5 times
Durable membrane touchpad input controls, and very simple
programming menu
Easy to see, 32 character (2x16) LCD with Blue back-lighting that
displays Input and Output Volts, Peak Volts, Average Discharge
Volts, Charge and Discharge Capacity, Currents and Time, and error
Status screen constantly updates Capacity, Battery Voltage, Current,
and Time during use
Audible beeper aids in programming and notifies of function changes
Safety features include Fast Charge Safety Timer, Current Overload
and Reverse Polarity Protection
Small and lightweight, with a rugged extruded aluminum case for
long-lasting durability and excellent heat dissipation
One year warranty

indy 16 x4

16X4-PRO AC/DC Charger with LCD display, 1-15 cells capability, VESC F-1 Linear Charge, discharge, cycle, 50-9999mAh, up to 5.5A charge rate, 4A discharge rate, auto logout, auto deltaV works with both Ni-Cd & Ni-MH packs, display shows voltage, current and capacity in mAh, internal high speed fan keeps the unit cool, user replacable 10A fuse protected, this charger is very user friendly, operate at close to room temperature and can handle many different kinds of battery pack, you can charge 1 cell for glow plug, 12V pack for starter box, ideal for electric cars, nitro cars, Mini & Micro 1/18, TX & RX packs, heli & plane, boat and drag racing. This unit accepts 12VDC or 110-120VAC input
Old 06-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Im using my old school tekin BC112c until it blows up that is

Regards,