Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I will try one!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
Doesn't look the slightest bit like a Shadow Can-Am car. In fact it doesn't even look like a car. Why even bother?

May as well call it the "Black Wedge".

What a joke.
-and all the sedans out there look like anything specific?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSBR0&P=7 -order pending at tower............
Old 05-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Default PROTOform "Shadow"

sosidge the Tech Master:

Man... you as so right. That name is all wrong. I now can honestly say regretably (thanks to you)...... I don't know why I bothered. So stupid of me. Doh! Man....I should have never stopped going to the "Daily Affimation" 12 step program with Stewart Smalley. Don't know why I got out of bed today.
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/snlcn/franken/stuart.html
Believe me sosidge - my very next body design will have something more appropriate for a name. Ya - I'll call it the..... Black Wedgie.....or maybe something more hip like the Atomic Wedgie.

Seriously guys - I didn't write the body rules for 1/8th on-road nor did I author the "laws of dynamics" that are at work with this particular class of r/c car. The 1/8th on-road car is the personification of the word "extreme". I'm just working within the rules as they are written.
I personally think it's kinda ridiculous that CanAm style bodies have been the staple body design until the last few years. I think it's purely because they lend themselves to the drastic downforce requirements of this class. QUESTION: have any of the the "modern era" body styles like Domes, Audi R8's, R10's, etc maintained even a hint of the look of their real fullsize counterparts? I think not - but that's only my opinion. And BTW - what is a "Whip" anyway? According to the rules we are supposed to design in a semblance of reality and quite simply the UOP Shadow had the swoopy upper deck prolile that I was after. I also had the priviledge of seeing Jackie Oliver race the real car at Mosport back when I was a kid. The memory is indelibly etched into my mind as "stinking AWSOME". The "music" of that injected 454 Ratmotor was like the actual sound of thunder. It was just brutal - period. (I'm getting goodbumps just writing about it)

Anyway - just to comment on the "tall sides" as mentioned by Scottyoo: the sides look much taller than they actually are because of the upper deck profile, but they're not much higher than the other popular 1/8th on-road bodies in use currently.

The Protoform Shadow is in stock at Proline and ready to ship to distributors right now - if you're curious about availability.

Thanks for all the comments guys - the nice ones as well as the negative ones. Have a great weekend!

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies
Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default Shadow

Dale,

Looks like you did a good job of replicating the leading edge and upper deck prolile very well. Aerodynamics should mirror mirror the real deal.

Are any Pro drivers using it in the USA?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Dale,

Looks like you did a good job of replicating the leading edge and upper deck prolile very well. Aerodynamics should mirror mirror the real deal.

Are any Pro drivers using it in the USA?

We will be using it very soon. I ordered mine today.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Scott, they were asking about Pro drivers.

Dale- Nice design!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by daleepp
sosidge the Tech Master:

I also had the priviledge of seeing Jackie Oliver race the real car at Mosport back when I was a kid. The memory is indelibly etched into my mind as "stinking AWSOME". The "music" of that injected 454 Ratmotor was like the actual sound of thunder. It was just brutal - period. (I'm getting goodbumps just writing about it)
I hear ya man!!!. I as a youngster was fortunate to attend some of The Can Am races and yes I get goose bumps writing about it too. Standing at the end of a staight with 20 Injected Ratmotors charging into the first turn would vibrate you sideways like a little plastic football player on those old electric football games. I remember it like yesterday and it is one of the primary reasons I race 1/8th today.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if someone asked me about RC cars,and how cool they are.....

THAT
is the Body I would bring.....attached to my veteq.....
Old 05-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

I've got mine on order - I can't wait. Great job Dale.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

Default Shadow

Thanks to the two guys who put photos of the full scale Shadow. Wasn't it cool to see these pics?
As to the negative response....... can you imagine the comments by sports car enthusiast when the Shadow and other Can-Am cars were unvieled. Remeber the Chaperral? What did they resemble? Remember that the reasons that the full scale race cars are designed is to maximize grip with the most powerful powerplant allowed by the class rules. Could you imagine driving an F1 car today if it did not have all of the aero work? Isn't that the same thing that Dale and all other desiners are trying to do for RC? After all, their design work has helped us push the envelope in the RC world. My hat goes off to Dale and all of the other body shell designers. Keep giving us the Shadow, the Whip, the R10, the Lola, and anything else that can help me keep these rocket sleds on the track.
Thanks, I look forward to getting my Shadow soon.
Roger Bourland
Old 05-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks Garen!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleepp
sosidge the Tech Master:

Man... you as so right. That name is all wrong. I now can honestly say regretably (thanks to you)...... I don't know why I bothered. So stupid of me. Doh! Man....I should have never stopped going to the "Daily Affimation" 12 step program with Stewart Smalley. Don't know why I got out of bed today.
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/snlcn/franken/stuart.html
Believe me sosidge - my very next body design will have something more appropriate for a name. Ya - I'll call it the..... Black Wedgie.....or maybe something more hip like the Atomic Wedgie.

Seriously guys - I didn't write the body rules for 1/8th on-road nor did I author the "laws of dynamics" that are at work with this particular class of r/c car. The 1/8th on-road car is the personification of the word "extreme". I'm just working within the rules as they are written.
I personally think it's kinda ridiculous that CanAm style bodies have been the staple body design until the last few years. I think it's purely because they lend themselves to the drastic downforce requirements of this class. QUESTION: have any of the the "modern era" body styles like Domes, Audi R8's, R10's, etc maintained even a hint of the look of their real fullsize counterparts? I think not - but that's only my opinion. And BTW - what is a "Whip" anyway? According to the rules we are supposed to design in a semblance of reality and quite simply the UOP Shadow had the swoopy upper deck prolile that I was after. I also had the priviledge of seeing Jackie Oliver race the real car at Mosport back when I was a kid. The memory is indelibly etched into my mind as "stinking AWSOME". The "music" of that injected 454 Ratmotor was like the actual sound of thunder. It was just brutal - period. (I'm getting goodbumps just writing about it)

Anyway - just to comment on the "tall sides" as mentioned by Scottyoo: the sides look much taller than they actually are because of the upper deck profile, but they're not much higher than the other popular 1/8th on-road bodies in use currently.

The Protoform Shadow is in stock at Proline and ready to ship to distributors right now - if you're curious about availability.

Thanks for all the comments guys - the nice ones as well as the negative ones. Have a great weekend!

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies
Looks very well thought out to me Dale. Nice job "again"....
Old 05-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Dale. I was a litle more than a kid watching the Shadow and other cars run at Mosport in the late 60's and early 70's. How's that for dating yourself?? Those big block engines were pretty wild then.

Nice job Dale.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Couple more Shadow pics, including that great motor, and one of a Shadow coming down the "corkscrew"....
Attached Thumbnails New Protoform Shadow 1/8th body-laguna-seca-c-34.jpg   New Protoform Shadow 1/8th body-laguna-seca-c-114.jpg   New Protoform Shadow 1/8th body-mid-ohio-1974-08-11-001.jpg   New Protoform Shadow 1/8th body-mid-ohio-1974-08-11-101.jpg   New Protoform Shadow 1/8th body-cimg0026.jpg  

Last edited by Ffejdat; 05-18-2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: One more pic...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.