Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-2

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Don't waist your money on those bearings. I bought a set for my son's RS4, and they didn't make it a single race day. They do not take a beating at all. He side swiped a board and busted the front & rear outer bearing. It wasn't even a hard hit, just a side swipe. After the day was over, while checking the car, I noticed the rest of the bearings were "choppy" and had to be discarded.

My stock bearings lasted about 2 months of racing every weekend before they gave out. A little cheesy in my opinion for as much as the car cost.

Dynamite "red seal" bearings are a decent replacement to stock. They're a little costly, but not as bad as the Boca bearings. I'm getting ready to order a set of the Bocas. A few guys at our track run them in their Impulses and haven't one fail in over a year.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

I sent carpet_killa a pm with exactly the same of what you are telling him! I just didnt want to post it on the forum so other ppl will take it the wrong way! he he

Originally posted by tekrsq
Don't waist your money on those bearings. I bought a set for my son's RS4, and they didn't make it a single race day. They do not take a beating at all. He side swiped a board and busted the front & rear outer bearing. It wasn't even a hard hit, just a side swipe. After the day was over, while checking the car, I noticed the rest of the bearings were "choppy" and had to be discarded.

My stock bearings lasted about 2 months of racing every weekend before they gave out. A little cheesy in my opinion for as much as the car cost.

Dynamite "red seal" bearings are a decent replacement to stock. They're a little costly, but not as bad as the Boca bearings. I'm getting ready to order a set of the Bocas. A few guys at our track run them in their Impulses and haven't one fail in over a year.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Smile Chassis (upgrade)

What is the advantage of upgrading the chassis to a kawahara or equivilent?? I was interested in the hardcore racing titanium chassis. I know that it would be lighter and more rigid but it cost and are and a leg. Is the typical aluminum chassis such as the kawahara have any benefit over stock?? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Some people say that Titanium can be bad material for chassis because it doesn't draw heat away from the engine like aluminium can.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So where do the stock silver springs rate in the world of mugen springs?
Old 02-08-2002, 08:32 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Chassis (upgrade)

Originally posted by VinDollar
What is the advantage of upgrading the chassis to a kawahara or equivilent?? I was interested in the hardcore racing titanium chassis. I know that it would be lighter and more rigid but it cost and are and a leg. Is the typical aluminum chassis such as the kawahara have any benefit over stock?? Thanks in advance.
A Ti chassis will be heavier than a Al chassis but greater strength! The question is, do you really need the greater strength??? Greater strength merely means than "another' part on the chassis will break before the chassis!!! May not necessarily mean your car is more crash resistant!

The 7075T6 stock chassis is plenty strong enough. The advantage of the Kawa chassis is that you have a new surface to start scrapping away!! 7075T6 is 7075T6 whoever makes it!! You may gain a 'slight' advantage because of the different shape of the chassis plate, thats all! Stick with the stock chassis...unless you want to spend money on a "pretty" chassis... you will not be any faster!!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Chassis (upgrade)

Originally posted by dtm

A Ti chassis will be heavier than a Al chassis but greater strength! The question is, do you really need the greater strength??? Greater strength merely means than "another' part on the chassis will break before the chassis!!! May not necessarily mean your car is more crash resistant!

The 7075T6 stock chassis is plenty strong enough. The advantage of the Kawa chassis is that you have a new surface to start scrapping away!! 7075T6 is 7075T6 whoever makes it!! You may gain a 'slight' advantage because of the different shape of the chassis plate, thats all! Stick with the stock chassis...unless you want to spend money on a "pretty" chassis... you will not be any faster!!

For the most part you are right but Kawahara Chassis has it's own uniqueness, it has a groove cut on the chassis to accomodate the long belt. If you tear your car apart I am 100% sure you will see the belt is rubbing on your chassis in 2 area, right around the area next to steering servo and where your mid shaft long belt pulley side. I think the groove Karahara has is a great idea. Other than that, a stock chassis is just as good!

I wouldnt go for TI Chassis either for the same concern you have on breaking other parts before chassis! All those smaller parts will cost more than a chassis when you add them together!

Just my $0.02
Old 02-08-2002, 11:30 PM
Tech Adept

The car is already overweight as far as ROAR specs go. I wouldn't go with a heavier chassis. I wonder what the weight difference is between stock and the Kawahara one though.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Manbik
The car is already overweight as far as ROAR specs go. I wouldn't go with a heavier chassis. I wonder what the weight difference is between stock and the Kawahara one though.
The car is overweight, but in my opinion, a little extra weight in the right places will help more than hurt. If you put the extra weight down low (like another chassis) and lighten the upper deck, rotating mass, and unsprung weight, the car handles better. I believe that's part of the reason why the Impulses handle so good. They are heavy cars, but if you start to look at it, most of their weight is low on the chassis. I've got the Z-Speed chassis, and I can tell a slightly better response by simply changing the chassis.

Robbie from Mugen USA has said the out of the box, race ready Pro Spec kit weighs in at around 61oz, but I do not know what radio system he has in it. Remember different rx, servos, battery packs, etc all vary in weight. My car comes in at 69.4 oz rtr without fuel. I could probably drop a few more oz by switching to Ti pillow balls, and bearing shafts, but I'm not a "Worlds" or "National" level driver, so I can't see that much extra money for a couple of oz weight difference.
Old 02-09-2002, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Default mugen mt12 ?

i just got a brand new mt12 turbo and i can not find where i can get a replacement turbo plug. is this turbo plug a novarossi plug ? my first turbo engine..also is there suppose to be a washer on turbo plugs like normal standard plugs, and after i took the head off and the plate there is not a shim like on regular engines. is this suppose to be like this? thanks for the help//////
Old 02-09-2002, 07:17 AM
Tech Addict

The turbo plugs do not have a washer. That's the point of the tapered end; it gets a better seal that way. Any turbo plug will work, but I suggest staying with the Nova/RB/Top plugs. They're all the same plugs mage by Novarossi. Look on the side of the "hex", it should have a number on it. I think my turbo MT12 came with a 5 in it. Not sure it was so long ago. As for the shim, it probably has one. It's just to thin to tell unless you put a hobby knife under it to see if it comes up. But BE VERY CAREFUL if you do that. You don't want to scar or bend the shim.

Now, for those running the Kawahara 2 speed. What is the purpose of the 2 balls in the center of the shoes? Is that how you adjust the shift point, or do you use the bolts with the springs?
Old 02-09-2002, 07:45 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Chassis (upgrade)

Originally posted by Ah10

For the most part you are right but Kawahara Chassis has it's own uniqueness, it has a groove cut on the chassis to accomodate the long belt. If you tear your car apart I am 100% sure you will see the belt is rubbing on your chassis in 2 area, right around the area next to steering servo and where your mid shaft long belt pulley side. I think the groove Karahara has is a great idea. Other than that, a stock chassis is just as good!

I wouldnt go for TI Chassis either for the same concern you have on breaking other parts before chassis! All those smaller parts will cost more than a chassis when you add them together!

Just my $0.02
Yes, I have the Kawa chassis on my MTX too!! I like 'pretty' chassis!!
Old 02-09-2002, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Default my mt12 engine ?

thanks tekrsq.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Do you guys reach in with your finger or use a zip tie to open the tank to refuel?
Old 02-09-2002, 09:07 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by raffaelli
Do you guys reach in with your finger or use a zip tie to open the tank to refuel?
Zip tie with a fuel tube covering it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.