Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya f104W conversion to gp version

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 145 (100%+)
Default Tamiya f104W conversion to gp version

Hey guys! I have been looking to get into the f1 world and have found a car that is being offered to me real cheap. It is the f104w and i hate how cheap it looks. Am I able to upgrade it to the GP version? Is it just as easy as swapping out parts? And I hate that big front bumper on it too.

Thanks!
Kyle
210-722-6891
Old 10-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes you can upgrade that chassis to the F104W (in the lower pic) or to the F104Pro (in the first pic). Tamiya posts most of their manuals online so you should be able to fine one for each chassis, look towards the bottom of the page in the blue bar.

You'll just need to put together a fairly large parts order to do the conversion. I say that because the W-GP car includes a number of hop-up options (carbon upper and lower deck, aluminum diff, aluminum clamp hub, trf damper, aluminum roll damper, aluminum front uprights, aluminum motor mount, and adjustable turnbuckles...and possibly bearings if your's doesn't have any).

I just finished building one of these so it's still pretty familiar to me. I also added a carbon rear shaft, aluminum pivot post, and ti-screws.

Good luck with it.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

thank you very much for that input. I'll definitely be doing the upgrade but slowly. Wont be able to do it all right away. Chassis first and then front adjustable arms and then the aluminum.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

has anybody else done this conversion? Is it possible to take a w chassis and build a 104 pro from it?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

tried to upgrade my f104 to a f104wgp... now i have both. hahahaha!

if you want a wgp, might as well buy a whole one or build one up from scratch. you're practically replacing everything on your f104 to make it a wgp.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Everything is different. Front end, chassis, rear end, etc. Maybe easier to just buy with 104wgp........
Old 12-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

Alright so I am in the process of doing this conversion and I"m actually convering my 104w into a pro version and I have the front all converted and now i'm working on the rear. I put the tamiya wheels on it and the offset is completely off. The wheel on the diff side sticks out a few milimeters farther and is visually noticeable. What am I doing wrong? and is there a part I need to swap out to make this work?

Thanks!
KYle
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by brothainchrist0
Alright so I am in the process of doing this conversion and I"m actually convering my 104w into a pro version and I have the front all converted and now i'm working on the rear. I put the tamiya wheels on it and the offset is completely off. The wheel on the diff side sticks out a few milimeters farther and is visually noticeable. What am I doing wrong? and is there a part I need to swap out to make this work?

Thanks!
KYle
Add axle spacers to the narrow side...common practice in 1-12th and WGT