Wiki Posts
Search

Lap Timing Systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Lap Timing Systems

Has anyone involved in racing try the I-Lap R/C Timing System?

I've hear goo things about this system but not sure if its just as good the AMB systems widely used today...

www.RcLapCounter.com

Here's some info from their website:

The New I-LapRC Race Timing System

ALL NEW FEATURES!

• Works with any scale car from X-Mod and Mini-Z up to 1/4 scale(Now even Go-Karts).
• Works with any AMB™ compatible race timing software.
• Each transponder has a unique 7 Digit ID number.
• No need to self-program individual tranponders
• Unlimited number of vehicles can be on the track at once.
• High Frequency signals eliminate any and all interference.
• Expandable to a 24 foot track lane.
• Fully powered by a USB port with no buried wires for ultimate portability.

Pricing:

Decoder - $140 (Includes all cables)
Bridge Sensor - $40 each (Each covers 14.5" width)
Transponders - $38 - Each has a unique ID number
Transponder 10-Pack - $350 - Save $30
US Shipping - $8
Outside the US is typically around $40 for trackable global express.

Seems pretty cheap...for about $900 you get pretty much all you need to cover 13 ft lanes. Just add a laptop and software and you're set...

the AMB systems costs around $2000 for the decoder alone!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've run at a track that uses it and it works great...there are a few tracks in my area that use this system. Its a nice lower cost alternative to the crazy expensive AMB system. The transponders are smaller then the AMB personals. This system works off of line if sight to send the signal so you need to have the transponder aimed out a window or lightly painted body will work as well. Craig the guy who makes this system is a great guy and is always working on making it better. If your track is looking for something low cost and works great this is a very viable solution.....I was very impressed the first time I used it....no missed laps the whole race day.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Now that there are two competing timing systems on the market, maybe we'll get lucky and either AMB or I-Lap will give us the ability to have several timing loops around the track to get sector times.

I know that would be a VERY helpful thing for me, and a strong selling point. If there were several places to race in my area I'd probably be attending whichever had a system like that in place more than the others.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trips
Now that there are two competing timing systems on the market, maybe we'll get lucky and either AMB or I-Lap will give us the ability to have several timing loops around the track to get sector times.

I know that would be a VERY helpful thing for me, and a strong selling point. If there were several places to race in my area I'd probably be attending whichever had a system like that in place more than the others.
This might be more the timing software....IE RC Scoring Pro, Alley Cat, J-lap or Autoscore that would implement this more so then the lap counting system/hardware. Maybe the lap counting systems would need to be able to have multi loop capabilities but the scoring software is really where this would need to be done I think???
Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trips,

The joy of sector times...finally some one else that realizes overall lap time is not very helpfull but sector times are critical..Rejoice

A lap broken down into three sectors would be a great way for the techno geeks to get all the data they need to improve their driving.

I think amb has some way of doing this as the xray test track has multiple timing loops for sector times..per their marketing hype about their private test track.

I also believe Jilles Groskamp works for amb...someone must have a way to get in touch with him on how to set this up.

Cheers

Jamie
Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trips
that would be sweet. i recall j-lap having a 'speed trap' or something where two loops were used to determine velocity (input the distance between loops and j-lap would calculate average velocity). actual sector times would be an awesome way to determine where you're getting beat. i would think that would be an easy write in. "record lap every 'x' hits".

like kevin indicated, it doesn't even sound like a hardware issue.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Seems like our $90 AMB personal transponders will not work with this system?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin K
I've run at a track that uses it and it works great...there are a few tracks in my area that use this system. Its a nice lower cost alternative to the crazy expensive AMB system. The transponders are smaller then the AMB personals. This system works off of line if sight to send the signal so you need to have the transponder aimed out a window or lightly painted body will work as well. Craig the guy who makes this system is a great guy and is always working on making it better. If your track is looking for something low cost and works great this is a very viable solution.....I was very impressed the first time I used it....no missed laps the whole race day.
Nice...thanks for the info. Seems like it works nicely and has been racer tested. That's pretty cool
Old 05-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

These guys in the UK has implemented multi loops to allow for sector timing, works very well at Maritime racing in Chatham UK.

http://www.fabcount.co.uk/fabcount/default.asp

Another major advantage of multiple loops is the system can call when cars are coming to lap other cars because it is quite aware of the position of all cars on the track...
Old 05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

yohan, the system uses infrared light emitting transponders.. not radio frequency.. my old club had looked into this system and others similar to it, but the biggest obstacle for us was believe it or not snobbery.. yes rc car folks are snobs and generally turned up their noses when we mentioned the possability of getting such a system...
Old 05-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tallyrc
yohan, the system uses infrared light emitting transponders.. not radio frequency.. my old club had looked into this system and others similar to it, but the biggest obstacle for us was believe it or not snobbery.. yes rc car folks are snobs and generally turned up their noses when we mentioned the possability of getting such a system...
Quite ridiculous...Why pay around 3-4K for an AMB system PC and software when you can have equal performance for about $1,500(Including laptop and software)
Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by seaball
like kevin indicated, it doesn't even sound like a hardware issue.
If the existing hardware can actually support multiple loops then it wouldn't be a hardware issue. I haven't looked at a recent AMB box, but way back in the day there were only input jacks for one loop. I know it might be possible to attach three different loops to the same inputs and alter the software to count every third hit as a lap, but I've race directed often enough to see the havoc that false hits can cause with our current one-loop setup... yes, most race software allows a minimum time setting to help prevent fale counts, but I've seen it happen that a car crosses for a lap, gets stuck, waits for a marshal, then passeds near enough the loop on the infield to count another lap... with three loops on the same input, I think you'd be looking at all sorts of headaches. I'd think a separate input for each loop would be the way to go.

As far as software, it would only be a matter of downloading a patch, but if the hardware needs to be changed to accept multiple loops then it would require replacement or refurbishment.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Rookie

There is another system out there to from Trakmate it also uses light to run it. I haven't seen it but have heard it is used locally in Micro's.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I race at the same track Kevin K does, and as far as I'm concerned, the I-Lap system is the real deal. I even mounted the transponder in a car with tinted windows and the car was counting. The biggest difference vs. AMB is that you need a bridge vs. running it under carpet or dirt.

Also, the transponders are like $40, and they are a personal, so the same features you get with an AMB personal (practice laps, name recognition, unique ID) are available to you. The transponder is tiny, and they fit in the micro cars no problem.

This is the best deal for your money.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

so what happens when two cars are side by side.. it actually happens around here :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.