Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 11:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default Engine rant

I find the cost of rebuilding a big-block nitro engine, discouraging, to say the least. Case in point...my REX P5, which has pretty much served me faithfully, has finally worn out the crankpin where the conrod sits (I measured it and compared it to factory specs). I've already rebuilt it once with a fresh P/S last season, and now I find that for the cost of a new crank I could buy a new competition .12-size engine. I fear wearing-out my Salven .21 in the MRX-3. Christ on a pony.

Is it me, or are nitro engines these days by and large disposable? Looks like you'll end up with quite a collection of crankcases, carbs, heads and worn-out P/S sets after awhile...

Okay, rant mode off.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Have a rant

I think there would be the greatest amount of work manufacturing an engine in the carb and assembly compared to the rest of the engine.

So why are simple things like piston and sleeve [also the part that wears the most] so expensive in comparison???

Oh yeah I know!!!! To make lots o money.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Same thing happens in real 1:1 cars, you can buy a stereo for what a plastic blinker /light cover costs. It's just the way the world is i guess ..
Old 10-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, totally valid rant there, hard to argue anything when it comes to 1/8th cost gripes, I did some math myself and realised it would be cheaper to race a entry to mid level Karts around here than to take up 1/8th scale RC.

Hell, even Kart club and track fees are looking cheap these days, public liability and decreasing member numbers in RC are making it kind of rich for something you can't even sit in...
Old 10-31-2004, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Have a rant