R/C Tech LIVE from the 2003 ROAR Carpet Nationals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Tech LIVE from the 2003 ROAR Carpet Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

If you want to see a wrok of art, take a look at Kinwalds Chassis on his cars. They are like a maze on some of them... all the milling he does
Old 03-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

mike

am i looking at the chassie right did he mill out the sides of the belt housing? or is that carbon fiber.

Ray
Dosecks xxxs is sweet i bet if he hit bottom, he draggs cells not chassie . I'm to twitchy to have that steady of a hand i would cut my chassie in half lol

wvracer
Old 03-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

WVRacer: yes, he milled out the sides of the belt housing. Theres two different pics of his two cars, and he milled them both in different ways.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:32 PM
R/C Tech Founder

There were actually four "milled" Losi cars at the race, all done in different ways. Kinwald had 2, Jesse Robbers had one, and Kinwald's "pit buddy" Steve Weiss had one. Each had a different pattern.

Kinwald's main car was the one with the small fans on it.

I do have pictures of the Reedy/AE cars, I just haven't had a chance to get them online yet.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the Kr's (which were only run in sedan, in 12th they ran Ti's since they havent really done any real 12th testing with them) have a larger comm and laydown brushes as well, which will allow the motors to go longer inbetween rebuilds, and you can also run really high silver stock brushes! lol (walter henderson tried running 767's at the birds and had insane power until he dumped with 30 seconds to go, lol)

as far as AE dominating the weekend, they did, lol, and it wasnt due to horse power since cyrul had the most of anyone in 12th scale, he could literally catch up and pass other cars on the straight (and did this to mike blackstock as well as dumas a few times). also the trinity guys were running some different can or arm conifurgation since they had a different sound, like a buzzing almost.

josh would of won 12th but he got tangled with lap traffic and couldnt catch back up in the 3rd main. and then didnt have a battery charged for sedan so he didnt run the 3rd main and thus finished last overall in sedan.

Also the AE cars that won had different power configurations, so it wasnt that Reedy power was making them win, the TC3 is just plain fast.

the only mod besides chassis drilling i saw on the Losi's was that the mod guys were running metal belt covers or whatever those things on the center of the chassis screwed onto the bottom are.

as far as the other teams went:

Xray: Burch was the fastest with a 2nd place qual in the B main, and never really challenged for the win in the B (he wasnt as fast and hit alot of stuff), and lost to guess what, a TC3, lol. The rest of the team was in the C and D mains in mod (none ran stock), atomic blew an esc in the main, and his car was literally smoking.

Tamiya: Robinson made the C in stock, and Jun might of made the B in mod, and Fernando made the C i think in mod.

Yok: only chris showed up, and he was in the C main i think, he car never really handled all weekend, and he was running the SSG belt car, not the new shaft car

Schui: Did okay in stock, Alex Lopez made the main but Timmy didnt, and in mod i dont know how andrew did, might of made the B.

I think i saw one HPI which made the I main or something in stock, no factory guys showed

No new cars or secret driver tricks, except for the new speedmerchant front end, which proved itself to be very fast, although only a limited amount of factory drivers had them (they should be avialable to the public soon though), and the Reedy Kr's. While it was not run, Josh Cyrul tried out his own body (looslely based on the new protoform ascari) in practice, however like the ascari it wasnt Roar legal.

Also while not new news, the parma x20 body did rather well making a good showing in the A main.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You have a pic of theses kryton motors? How are they diff from Ti motors/
Old 03-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

You can see them on AE's web site. They differ from the Ti's by being a Quad magnet motor.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:53 PM
TRL
Tech Apprentice

Default A/E car pics

Any luck with a picture of associated cars yet?
Old 03-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

I would say that the best feature on the KR motors is the mid sized comm (0.350ish)... between the big comm (Sonic 2) motors and the rest of the Reedy stable.... Should make the motors torque monsters like the sonics.. not to mention the time between cuts....
Old 03-10-2003, 04:24 PM
R/C Tech Founder

The belt covers that the Losi guys had were made of steel, they weigh in at 1.6 oz. each versus .4 oz. for the standard graphite cover. It's a good way of making weight since you are adding an extra ounce at the bottom center of the car. I had one on my car. KT Hobbies may still have a few in stock.

On the TC3 dominance issue, I think the platform has a huge advantage. I went walking through the pits checking how free the drivetrains on the various cars were, and the TC3s are just awesome. You can spin the wheels of the car and the entire drivetrain will spin for 5 seconds. You won't see that on a Losi car. In mod it may not be a huge advantage, given the torque and high RPM of the motors, but in stock, it has to be.

I played around with Jun's Evo III and although it was smoother than a Losi, it still did not have that "free" feeling that the TC3 has.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by futureal
There were actually four "milled" Losi cars at the race, all done in different ways. Kinwald had 2, Jesse Robbers had one, and Kinwald's "pit buddy" Steve Weiss had one. Each had a different pattern.

Kinwald's main car was the one with the small fans on it.

I do have pictures of the Reedy/AE cars, I just haven't had a chance to get them online yet.
you have a picture of kinwald's car ?the milled chassis shot
Old 03-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

There was some of the Krypton motors for sale in the tracks hobby shop they were all 10 turn singles and doubles I think they were selling for 67.95 ea. I think the Reedy powered cars were fast but they were just as fast as the Trinity cars. In 12th scale mod Josh should have won the race if the anouncer would have forced the Andrew to get out of the way other then just playing it off but thats racing and Mike drove hard and won so thats all that counts. Some of the awsome pass' that Josh put on the Associated guys in 12th scale made them look silly at times and it was like Josh was just playing with them. All in all the race was awsome Im not going to monday quarterback the race but there is always room to improve.....but a job well done goes out to the guys at TCHR they did run one of the smoothest nationals that I have been to. And I hope that they get another big race b/c I will be there for sure.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:03 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Ko Racer: They are in the event coverage section of the main R/C Tech site.

I look forward to covering more nationals races in the future. I am going to the NORRCA Carpet Nationals in three weeks but I don't know how many (if any) big teams will be there.

I can't make the Reedy Race, unfortunately. Bad timing and too far for me to go right now. I would like to get out to the ROAR Paved Nationals later this summer, and I will definitely be at Octoberfast and hopefully Cleveland this year as well.

As always, if any of you guys are going to those big events and would like to provide coverage through R/C Tech, I can relay information to the website. Just let me know!
Old 03-11-2003, 02:37 AM
Regional Moderator

futureal.......thank you sir I over looked it
Old 03-11-2003, 06:16 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Any more news or PICs on the Speedmerchant front end?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.