Wiki Posts
Search

Getting into boating...kit or RTR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default Getting into boating...kit or RTR?

I live in the suburbs of Houston where literally a 5-10 min drive you will be at some man made lake, pond, detention pond, deep creek water, and of course giant lakes 30 min away.

I've been reading several threads and the Aquacraft brand seems to be the most popular and most beginners choose the Revolt 30. Is there a reason why it's only offered in artr or RTR? I will be looking at brushless only and something that is not balls to the wall fast and uncontrollable.

I prefer kits as then I know every piece of my RC top to bottom and when it crashes or breaks I know why and how I maybe able to repair it or upgrade depending on damage.

My budget is $250-300 range, and I have plenty of radios but I plan on using my futaba 4pl. So radio is of no issue.

I also have plenty of matched 2s and 3s lipos minimum 35c constant. A few 4s packs as well those are all 50c I use for racing 1/8 electric on and off road.

Which do most people choose mono or the catamaran? My assumption would be catamarans being more stable at high speed but not as nimble as a mono hull?

As a first boat which hull style would make more sense? And pardon my noob lol I guess we all have to start somewhere....

I'm a huge crawler and custom scaler builder more than anything which is what swapped me over to electrics lol. Before that it was allllll nitro on and off road racing. Then got into 1/5 Bajas for a few years racing oval now I'm looking for something else. Planes never really peaked my interest I was always uncomfortable throwing money into the sky and hoping I could land it in one piece...lol never did.

I know eventually I will probably be into true wooden scale boats with scale speeds, but not yet...I need my need for speed satisfied first lol.

Thanks everyone all input will be highly appreciated!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I picked up my revolt used but like New. It is by far my favorite boat. Good stock speed very nimble and controllable. Aquacraft and proboat are both have good boats but I'd suggest a revolt . You won't be disappointed .
Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Having never driven a boat before go for a mono. Monos are more stable, and are less finicky to weight adjustment and balancing.

I started with a catamaran, than bought a revolt 30. I sold the catamaran out of frustration, and kept my revolt30. I now own a miss geico v2, and a ul1 but my revolt is my daily go to boat.

As far as building a boat, I wouldn't do it as you're first boat. There's a level of experience you need to build a good reliable boat. Drilling holes in the boat for the hardware isn't something that can be guessed, and installing the stuffing tube is a form of educated art. Not to mention fiberglassing in motor mounts, servo mounts, battery trays etc.

I would, like rod, suggest a revolt 30 OR an impulse 31. Very good boats out of the box, and they have the ability to grow with you. For example, over time, I've taken my revolt from a stock 40mph boat, and gotten it well into the 60's (67mph fastest so far) with modding the hull (strengthening, truing, custom battery mount to lower battery in hull), modding the hardware (turn fins, rudder, trim tabs, strut), installing new (bigger) electronics and tuning the boat. The boat is just as stable at my modded speeds as a stock revolt, because of the mods I have done.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cinnabun
Having never driven a boat before go for a mono. Monos are more stable, and are less finicky to weight adjustment and balancing.

I started with a catamaran, than bought a revolt 30. I sold the catamaran out of frustration, and kept my revolt30. I now own a miss geico v2, and a ul1 but my revolt is my daily go to boat.

As far as building a boat, I wouldn't do it as you're first boat. There's a level of experience you need to build a good reliable boat. Drilling holes in the boat for the hardware isn't something that can be guessed, and installing the stuffing tube is a form of educated art. Not to mention fiberglassing in motor mounts, servo mounts, battery trays etc.

I would, like rod, suggest a revolt 30 OR an impulse 31. Very good boats out of the box, and they have the ability to grow with you. For example, over time, I've taken my revolt from a stock 40mph boat, and gotten it well into the 60's (67mph fastest so far) with modding the hull (strengthening, truing, custom battery mount to lower battery in hull), modding the hardware (turn fins, rudder, trim tabs, strut), installing new (bigger) electronics and tuning the boat. The boat is just as stable at my modded speeds as a stock revolt, because of the mods I have done.
Can I just send you mine ?
JK
Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

revolt might be the best choice, and I think you can get them with out a radio system. Just don't get something cheap becasue you just end up sticking more money in it in the long run.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrod87
Can I just send you mine ?
JK
Sure I'll mod it. Pay shipping charges. Cinnabun modded revolts are pretty quick.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Addict

RTR's are usually a good place to start at if you have zero experience in building them. You can learn a lot of what goes where and what happens when you do a little adjustment.
As for building one yourself, it'd be best if you know of someone nearby that can help you. Some kits have very good instructions, others might give you the basics if you're lucky. AquaCraft does a very good job on their owners manuals, even their kit boats like the VS-1 or Top Speed's.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
revolt might be the best choice, and I think you can get them with out a radio system. Just don't get something cheap becasue you just end up sticking more money in it in the long run.
Yup in this hobby you get what you pay for. I never buy cheap stuff even if I had to to get something running. I'd rather pick it up used if I'm short on funds or wait until I can afford it responsibly.

So what happens when you run out of juice and your boat is quite far out is there a way to monitor battery levels or is it just a feeling and u bring it in early to be safe?

And if you capsize a boat do you swim out there? Lol I'm such a noob at this.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Revolt is good and all, but I prefer blackjack! I've had my blackjack for 3 years! All i needed to replace was the lipo. But I prefer kit, it is going to be more expensive, but you can customize it and tune it to the way you like it!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

You should not run batteries way down, plan to get 4 to 5 minutes of run time. Never swim after a boat, let it float to shore, or have some kind of retrieval system. Fishing pole and tennis ball work good.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

No! Please don't swim after a boat! There have already been too many deaths involving RC boaters who thought that they could and never made it including one man in Florida who got hypothermia and a father and son who were both lost when dad's boat flipped, he swam after it and drowned. Junior went in after him and also drowned. Run it close to shore if you need to and ate the least use a fishing pole with a tennis ball attached. I use a top-water fishing lure myself. Option 2 is to get a 2-man inflatable boat less than $50.00 at Wal-mart for the boat, oars and inflator).
Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
No! Please don't swim after a boat! There have already been too many deaths involving RC boaters who thought that they could and never made it including one man in Florida who got hypothermia and a father and son who were both lost when dad's boat flipped, he swam after it and drowned. Junior went in after him and also drowned. Run it close to shore if you need to and ate the least use a fishing pole with a tennis ball attached. I use a top-water fishing lure myself. Option 2 is to get a 2-man inflatable boat less than $50.00 at Wal-mart for the boat, oars and inflator).
What a tragic story! Wow I would have never realized how dangerous swimming after a boat maybe. But the areas I plan on running first are only medium sized ponds at local parks that don't have no RC signs.

Usually those are about half a block in size and probably 15' deep in the center. I also live in an area that has a man made waterfront with much deeper water where people paddle boat, kayak, and canoe so once I get the hang of it that's where most if my boating will be.

I don't plan on doing any ocean running. Is that what these manufacturers define as offshore?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Crazy to hear a story like that. My boat hit a bouy and I can't remember what came loose but I swam out to get it. I had nothing to retrieve it, it was starting to get dark AND the current was starting to take it out.

To the OP, I happen to be selling a Proboat Impulse V2 right now. It's RTR(which you said you didn't quite need) and has less than 10 packs through it. I still have the original box, manuals, all electronics and marine grease. On 4s it'll do 33MPH and 6S I hit 43MPH and the boat is bone stock. PM with any questions.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

On another site that I hang out on has a thread devoted to stories about deaths involving RC boats including these two. It's unfortunate that it has to be done but it makes people aware of what can happen. One lake that I used to run at has had several drownings due to people not knowing what lies beneath the surface. One was found only 20 feet from shore in 5 feet of water, more than likely entangled in the weeds.
I was surpised at the one who drowned in Florida from hypothermia as you'd think that the water down there would be warm enough to where that wouldn't happen.

Offshore is a class of boats where they have the scale-like appearance of the big boats. They also race in a variation of the standard oval course, an "M" shape so there's a left turn in every lap. Go into www.impba.net and there's a schematic on the course lay-out in the rulebook section.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Well can't wait to take my son out RC boating this weekend. He's thrilled what can you expect a little 8 year old boy with a new toy....wait I mean MY toy he can "borrow" time to time. Lol just kidding I him to learn every part of the boat what it does what can go wrong and how you can do your own repairs bc we all know a new boat and a new driver behind it will eventually lead to a wreck.

And to Pintobean11 if you get better offers from someone else go ahead and sell your PB impulse v2 I don't want you to feel as if I'm holding you up. It's just I'm the type of guy that would like to physically inspect a used item whether it be preowned car or an RC boat. RC boats I have no idea about besides the electronics.

I do know most are designed to go counterclockwise and maneuvering in the opposite direction abruptly may send the entire craft underwater until it pops out. I've seen this happen a couple of times at my buddy's lake house.

I can do fiberglass work but not to a perfect smooth finish and with a replacement hull I better off purchasing a new one right off the bat new front the manufacturer directly especially since they have a $50 discount going on and free shipping!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.