Wiki Posts
Search

tc5 vs hb cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 PM
nib
Tech Apprentice

Default tc5 vs hb cyclone

id like to get some input from folks that have raced both.i ran the tc5 last year and really fought the car bad for most of the year but it really came around and i got fast at the end of the season i run a 10.5 /lipo on rubber tyres on asphalt. i almost bought a cyclone as i really liked hpi's rs4 pro belt car but ive just got the tc5 sorted out and im kinda broke
Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

I know plenty of people that run TC5's and have driven theirs,I just yesterdat got into a cyclone of my own.I put it on the track and absolutely love it. Granted I am still a pretty rookie driver but have done decently well. I had a tc3 before.

HB FTW
Old 12-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I haven't had either a TC5 or a Cyclone, but I just have to say that I don't think you'd want to change cars now that you've been getting the TC5 sorted to your liking... both are good cars, but I don't see either having a big advantage over the other.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

TC5-I loved my TC5 on asphalt but hated it on carpet. The car never felt like a contender to me. Asphalt and carpet were with rubber tire's. On asphalt we always ran the Ryan C. set up. It worked at every track we went to. Parts price and getting parts is very easy. Car is easy to work on. Production tolerances could be a bit tighter on a couple parts but there are quick fixes once you know what to look for.

Cyclone- I cheated on my TC5 with the Cyclone I gave this car a try because the local hotshot whipped up on us on asphalt and on carpet so I figured this was the car to have. First battery pack on asphalt with the car felt better than my TC5. The set up we had on the car was dialed. Easy to drive and the laptimes were consistent from lap to lap. I felt more in control with the Cyclone. On carpet it's better than the TC5 for me and getting better each time out. Car is easy to work on as well. The down side is parts and durability. Parts in the US are very hard to come by even with HB being a US based company. Ordering over seas will be the norm. Every car breaks every now and then but head to head I feel the TC5 is more durable. The rear hubs are an issue too. The car has uneven rear toe because of this. They say it's fixed but with them keeping the same part number there's no real way to know if you got an old or new one. You also can't get arms,steering knuckles, and rear hubs in pairs like you may be use to with the TC5. I feel you will benefit more from the Cyclone if you can get past the little things. Also....if you're broke with the TC5 then look the other way cause this car and parts will cost you a kidney.....LOL

Last edited by STLNLST; 12-18-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

+1 to cyclone being easier to work on. My brother has a tc5, i think its stupid how much he has to go through to change the pinion. Take the whole motor mount out with motor attached? No thanks, ill just scoot my battery over and change my pinion lol. Ive broken my servo saver once...but i was running 13.5. I have a 17.5 now and havnt broken anything significant. I think maybe...hmmm...nope. Nothing significant. Screws come loose and ruin some qualifiers but you shouldnt have that problem unless you get aluminum stuff like mine. I have aluminium c-hubs all around. Never broken a suspension component...my laziness just forgets to check screws that keep backing out by themselves.

Ill be whippin out the locktite soon to fix that haha.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Tech Champion

I would suggest going back to the basic kit setup.

From there, make one change at a time and see how it reacts to how you like the car to work on a given track.

Some people like a very twitchy, responsive car. Others like one that pitches into the corner and looses corner speed.

I personally like a car to be setup so that when it is pushed hard into a corner, it will understeer slightly. This makes grip usually close to my own limits, (providing the speed is good enough) So when it understeers, I know for the next corners to plan accordingly on how much steering and speed I can give it.

Roll centres, wheelbase, roll bars and suspension settings are all there for the smaller adjustments, (even bodyshells) but i'd say your first stop is tyres and what additive you're laying down.

hope that helps!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The TC5R is an awesome care. i find it very easy to work on; I definitely don't have to take anything off to change the pinion, just move the battery. It reacts awesome to setting changes and support is great. If you have it sorted out I'm pretty sure a new car would just be spending money needlessly. However, I have zero experience with the Cyclone.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

There is no reasone anyone would have to remove the motor with motor plate to change the pinion

Some people that run multiple classes will set up each motor on its own mount so all that the whole assembly can be changed with three screws.

If you like your TC5 and it is working for you, don't change. You will end up spending more time getting the new car sorted out and spending a lot more money in the process.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
There is no reason anyone would have to remove the motor with motor plate to change the pinion
I didn't understand that either. Its a rather tight fit if using large pinions but you shouldn't have to take off the motor mount unless you can't take out the battery.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

I'm pretty happy with my TC5 but there is a Hara edition Cyclone at my local hobby shop, every time I'm in there I think about buying it. Some of these posts are helpful.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

I think Associated would benefit from improved diffs. From what I've seen, they require a lot more attention than other brands. Tamiya, HB and Corally seem to have figured it out, putting the balls at the far edges of the pulleys, using more of them, and using much bigger diff rings.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by padailey
I didn't understand that either. Its a rather tight fit if using large pinions but you shouldn't have to take off the motor mount unless you can't take out the battery.
My brother says its easier to take out the motor mount with motor in it to get to the pinion. Guess thats just how he likes to do it.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Give it another season. If it works out, then stay with it. If it continues to be a problem, then sell it and buy the Cyclone. No point in staying with a car you'er not going to be happy with.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think HB (and Tamiya) make awesome touring cars, but I won't use them, simply because I hate strapping tape.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Losiho
I think HB (and Tamiya) make awesome touring cars, but I won't use them, simply because I hate strapping tape.
strapping tape + lipo = leave the battery in the whole race day lol. The tape sticks better to the plastic/carbon cases and when my qual is over, i just pop it on the car stand next to the charger and plug it in to charge. No need to remove it unless you're running multiple classes back to back (or near back to back) with the same car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.