Wiki Posts
Search

Risky Buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Risky Buyers?

Occasionally I'll get potential buyers with almost zero history on Rctech, want to purchase a high dollar item from me. I wont sell to them because I'm worried about being scammed with a charge back. Happened this morning. A guy with one post to his name and a zero trader rating wants to by my XB9e. If it was a $20 item, I would do it. For a $300 car? Nope.

Am I being too paranoid? What's your guy's take on buyers like that?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Based on the number of new 'members' looking to either buy or sell high-end items I thing you made the right choice.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
Occasionally I'll get potential buyers with almost zero history on Rctech, want to purchase a high dollar item from me. I wont sell to them because I'm worried about being scammed with a charge back. Happened this morning. A guy with one post to his name and a zero trader rating wants to by my XB9e. If it was a $20 item, I would do it. For a $300 car? Nope.

You do have Pay Pal to back you though. Buying would be a different story. We all started with zero posts and feedback!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you! How am I suppose to get trader feedback if no one will sell to me? check my ebay rating. cbr_r6 is my user name
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

PayPal is pretty good as a backup, but I've heard that they are not entirely foolproof.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

PayPal is not foolproof. We all had 0 feedback at one point though, and a conversation goes a long way. I just sold my eBuggy to someone is Puerto Rico and he had 0 feedback. We chatted a bunch before he sent payment...and ultimately he sent it as a personal transfer. He asked which way to send the money....I told him either was fine, but I'd knock off a few bucks if he did it via personal for a few reasons.

1. As a guy with 0 feedback, yeah I'm leery of a charge back or a stolen credit card issue via PayPal where the seller almost always loses.

2. He's "overseas" and there is no hope of ever recovering the item if something happens.

3. He forfeits his buyer protection from PayPal, but me being a seller with good feedback I'll take care of him if anything pops up anyway so in my mind he's covered anyway, just not in such a way where PayPal takes back the money without hearing both sides and such. Insured it on MY dime...etc etc etc

So I don't ever request a personal payment, but in this case I was willing to do it since it protected me in the transaction....and I'm protecting him in the transaction...so it should all go well. Usually, I will warn people if they pay me via personal and give them the option of a refund to send it the normal way via PayPal. Never once had someone take me up on that offer....but hey.

So just like a good sale...communication is key. If something sounds too good to be true...it probably is....
Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cbr_r6
Thank you! How am I suppose to get trader feedback if no one will sell to me? check my ebay rating. cbr_r6 is my user name
It's nothing personal at all. I've got a perfect 754 rating on eBay and 105 perfect rating here. I got that by being careful.......and a bit paranoid.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Paypal won't do anything to help you with charge-backs, they'll just take the money right out of your account.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

It is always communication, I think most buyers with "0" feedback are just that, first time buyers, or as is often the case... a buyer that has made some purchases but the seller did not take the time to leave a feedback.

And there are the "red flag" ones to me where you have little flurry of new and often inactive users that leave a few good feedbacks to a buyer to fluff them as a smoke and mirrors routine. Rare enough, but they do get on here.

Back to communication, if you wonder about the lack of feedback, be up front about it with them. Maybe get them on the phone, or see if they know an established member that will vouch for them. If they hit any track or shop enough to be recognized then they are bound to be able to pull that off.

I would say that short of taking what you feel is a "risk" make the effort with new people to help them out and get them into the game here. And then by all means leave them that first feedback with details in it when the deal is done.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cbr_r6
Do it the way the rules intend. Join the community, post up in some threads, participate. RCTech is for more than selling.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
Do it the way the rules intend. Join the community, post up in some threads, participate. RCTech is for more than selling.
Exactly! Become a contributing "member" not just a "user".
Old 06-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blade329

Both buyers and sellers can get "burned". And PP doesn't get it right 100% of the time!

I don't blame you for being cautious, I would be just like you. 20 bucks, no big deal. 300 clams, now that's a different story. I wouldn't make that deal with a new user buying or selling.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Just dealt with somebody with 0 feedback and very few posts, made him ship first. We'll see if I get what I'm supposed to
Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR
Just dealt with somebody with 0 feedback and very few posts, made him ship first. We'll see if I get what I'm supposed to
I would hope this was a trade and not you asking a seller to shop an item before receiving payment
Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
I would hope this was a trade and not you asking a seller to shop an item before receiving payment
Common practice on every other forum I trade on. One in particular it's a set rule. "lower feedback ships first", now when you get to a certain point per stop caring so much and pay immediately or jus send immediately. 0 feedback though, I'll give em the option, if they decline it isn't meant meant to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.