Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning our cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Down here in Chile - Southamerica i use WHITE BENZINE (i dont know if its the correct name in english, its similar to kerosene and its the same kind of gasoline used on old-style cigar lighters) ... i just clean all with this (sprayed even over electronics) and then i apply a coat of spray-silicone (the same for treatment of car panels) from WD40 ... the plastics ends like new !!!

cya !
Old 05-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Tech Adept

Ahhh, lighter fluid. Good one! Anyone else try that?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Its not light fluid, but its a kerosene-based gasoline that i remember i used to use on my old-fashion-cord-based-lighter (i have about 4 years of non-smoking) ...

So dont take me wrong, its NOT lighter fluid, just some kerosene based gasoline ...

Arrgghhh, i hate not being naturally english spoken ...
Old 05-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

No language barrier here, Tabushi. I just personally have not heard of what you are talking about. It sounded like you were describing lighter fluid, like what you would see in an old Zippo lighter. But, you might be talking about a REALLY old lighter!

Congrats on 4 years smoke free!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Sounds like white gas. Same stuff used in the old camping stoves and lanterns. You know, the type you have to pump up.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

YES RAPID ROY !!! WHITE GAS !!! ... in fact, the LITERAL translation its WHITE GASOLINE ...

I just spray it or put it on with a brush (a lot !!!) and it dries fast ... then i throw air with a compressor and when i get back home spray a coat of silicone to maintain the plastic parts OK ...
Old 05-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jeez, with all the chemicals I have just to clean the car, I'm surprised my garage hasn't blown up.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Reg, where do I get simple green around here and how does it come, powder, liquid???
Old 05-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Tabushi
YES RAPID ROY !!! WHITE GAS !!! ... in fact, the LITERAL translation its WHITE GASOLINE ...

I just spray it or put it on with a brush (a lot !!!) and it dries fast ... then i throw air with a compressor and when i get back home spray a coat of silicone to maintain the plastic parts OK ...
Sounds like a Richard Pryor technique!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Midak
Hey Reg, where do I get simple green around here and how does it come, powder, liquid???
Costco for the big industrial size bottle
kmart has it in the automotive section I belive
and some of the bigger supermarkets carry it as well
I think pepboys also carrys it not sure thou.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Nice tips and hints on cleaning everyone. I really like the compressor adaptor tip. Funny people started mentioning gas to clean their cars...I was wondering the other day as I was shooting all sorts of cleaners on my car if anyone ever had their car catch on fire....? I just make sure the batts are well away from the area I am spraying to be safe...!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Since 1999 when i started runing RC Cars im using white gas without any problem on the electronics or "fire issues" ...
Old 05-17-2005, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by Tabushi

I was wondering about the silicone spray? I have some thats meant for automotive use. Works great in cracks of car windows for the rubber and what not so your windows can roll up and down much easier.

Is this the stuff your talking about? I might have to try this. Also does it repel dirt any better that you have noticed?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone notice moisture backing up into your compressor hose when using the engine cleaner gun. I noticed this sunday. After I completely removed the ECG and replaced it with the normal air gun, I noticed moisture was coming out of the air gun. Looks like an inline moisture trap is unavoidable unless Im doing something wrong. Anyone have any insight on this?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

I personally have not noticed but, I un-hook my ECG from the hose after every use. I will check tonight anyway. I do notice there is much evaporation from the solution in the bottle. Has anyone used this solution on their (car) bodies? I did and it was okay. I still needed to towel it off to get the major grime. So far, it hasn't melted my body!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.