Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ART of R/C Gas Car Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Art? I just use full throttle and full brakes and throw it from side to side and keep plenty of spare tires. LOL j/k
Old 05-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

1.(Roll center). i dont understand
Old 05-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Tech Addict

i agree with some members here and think something more in lines of history needs coverage. there are plenty of coverage on setups and such, so not that its not important but it has been thoroughly covered by many monthly publications and books. also a history of the cars and equipment would be nice as well.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:07 AM
Tech Addict

The "history" part of thing I can do right now. I've already got the story done - just need to change the images back from black-and-white (as intended to be printed in the old magazine) back to color images. These go back to the 1970's.

That's quite different from what this topic was originally about, which is a lot of information Art has gathered over the years. Art's way of explaining things is quite different from others - if you've read what Art has already written, you'll see that he concentrates more on the "why" of things, than the "what".

It's real easy to tell people "what" to do, but that's not a good way to do things. For a silly example, a dozen things could be identified as worth changing on a 1/12 scale carpet car that won't turn properly.... none of which will help if the driver doesn't happen to notice that his car is so low to the ground that the chassis is dragging on the carpet, which is the REAL reason why the car won't turn.

Understanding "why" different changes help influence the behavior of the car is a lot more useful, as the driver is more likely to pick the appropriate thing to change.

Anyway, point taken - within a few weeks I'll get the 'history' article posted.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think you can look up the history and the basics in the net. I'm looking for a book that can expose the "secrets" of the art of RC racing. Such as:
1. ways to lower the CG of the chassis and save weight.
2. Gain more top speed on your nitros - grinding the crankshaft.
3. Aerodynamic improvements like a diffuser, wing settings, etc.
4. Suspension tweaks using weights and components.
5. Race preparation and organization.
6. Finding the right line and hitting the apex effectively.
7. Radio hacks - abs braking, dual rates for sticky or slick tracks.
8. Effective tire prep - the right shore, chemical additives, truing (precambering) and right diameter.
9. Drivetrain prep - how to make it spin like glass - cheaper alternatives to ceramic bearings, blueprinting.
10. How to make the chassis bulletproof.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by mikemyers
The "history" part of thing I can do right now. I've already got the story done - just need to change the images back from black-and-white (as intended to be printed in the old magazine) back to color images. These go back to the 1970's.
Hey Mike, don't be afraid to include the what AND why of it all.
The history part I believe, most of us are quite curious about and can't seem to find enough info, at the least it will serve as very interesting reading. I Like the what, how, and why, to include some race stories, cause and effects, and after action reviews and self critiques and situation variables. I think we could learn from a champions perspective, not just the knowlege but the reflection on particular circumstances. This could also serve as a guide to all racers, rookie and Pro. Thanks in advance. Rene'
Old 05-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Tech Initiate

I forgot PLUGS, PLUGS, PLUGS, What is in a plug? I'm sure it can't be as simple as 5,6,7,8 hot, med, cold. A conversation with Art 4 years ago led me to believe it was not quite that simple and after a 30min phone conversation I began to understand just how deep the rabbit hole went. I get asked everyday about plugs, and I'm sure thereis some deteriation in the way I tell 'The Truth About Plugs'.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great idea guys. We've been using the Losi Tuning Guide for suspension basics, it's pretty effective.(it taught us enough to figure the rest out later, that's part of racing) I'd like to see a book teaching basic driving techniques for newbies. Where to put your car in a curve, how to set up for the next corner, or prepare to floor it for the next straight away. Telling people to just influence the car, and let the car do what it was designed to do. I see newbies over-drive alot, hitting pipes and breaking, effectivly ending their race... I know there's no way to explain finess, but an explanation of what's supposed to happen. Tips like, don't try to be fast, just try to stay on the line, or follow someone who knows the track well enough.

Maybe a section explaining what upgrades like a one-way diff, locked rear diff, ect... will do to the handling. That way, people don't buy a kit, then pick up every single upgrade, and still can't seem to win. A focus on driving technique would help most, there's already plenty of tuning tips. Maybe set it up like with a nice index...
Old 05-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I like to see something about history and the trends that changed it though the years. Also how technology made things possible today that wasn't possible then without it.

Also what things that nearly killed the sport and what things that saved it.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:34 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Basic engine tuning would be nice to have.....

What is the effect of changing the opening in the crankshaft, and stuff like that.....

ps
Mike did you ever post my article in Sgrid I wrote on MYTSN, about "my first track experience"....

Martin
Old 05-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Default Future Of Racing?

Racing will always be around, but what about thoughts on the future of our hobby. I'm fortunate I have a good job and can support my racing habit, but what are your thoughts on affordabilty and bringing down the costs of racing?