Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drifting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

i got 2" but i brought my wheels with me to the hardware store to make sure it was a good fit. and i went over to the electric department and they had gray pvc conduet . i had my front camber at -4 but did not like it now it is set to a 0 and it was alot more fun im running my 4-tec with a 17 double and 18/87 gearing . ive got plenty of torque .
Attached Thumbnails Drifting?-mvc-013x.jpg  
Old 05-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you glue the PVC to the rim, or just slide it on?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Nrctc3
Do you glue the PVC to the rim, or just slide it on?
Slide it on. As long as the inner diameter of the pipe is within 1/2 mm of each other, you can "force" it on. The tightness is enough for the pipes to stay on.

When the pipes are gone (takes quite awhile), they become thin enough to slide off the rim and u can install new pipes onto the rims.

I recommend getting rims that are a little softer rather than those that are hard and brittle, this is coz I broke the hub area of a hard brittle rim before after just a light bump against the wall and the pipe being hard and all just makes the shock of the impact a little too much for the hub hex area. Besides, its easier to slide on a pipe if the rim crumples a little.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

is there a difference between the grey & white PVC? As far as thickness or hardness?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Nrctc3
is there a difference between the grey & white PVC? As far as thickness or hardness?
No idea, I've only tried grey and almost black PVC... just try all the different types and see which ones work best and last longer in your climate and surface.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by grim
i got 2" but i brought my wheels with me to the hardware store to make sure it was a good fit. and i went over to the electric department and they had gray pvc conduet . i had my front camber at -4 but did not like it now it is set to a 0 and it was alot more fun im running my 4-tec with a 17 double and 18/87 gearing . ive got plenty of torque .
Lookin good dude. You can run a higher turn motor for longer run time and less maintanence like a 23 or 27 turn. It makes it easier to control the car.

Basically you set camber to get even wear on the pipes, coz they can cone alot and shorten the usable life of the pipes, not that it matters
Old 05-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

i picked up some PVC this morning. the guys at the local hardware store are cool, they let me lose in the back room with a scrap peice of 3 foot, 2" diameter PVC (the white stuff) a vise & a pipe cutter. I had 16 drift tires cut in about an hour and still have over a foot of PVC left. grand total $2.50 . i cut some of the PVC 26mm and some 31mm.

set the car up last night, changed roll center, ride height, shock oil & springs. i have no idea how it'll work but i'll find out soon. i even built a mild mod with lay down brushes for some punch. if it's too much torque i'll throw my 19t back in it.

gotta pick up a cool drift body soon, i'm thinking Altezza, blue with silver graphics & a carbon fiber hood + wing
Old 05-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by hyperformance
i picked up some PVC this morning. the guys at the local hardware store are cool, they let me lose in the back room with a scrap peice of 3 foot, 2" diameter PVC (the white stuff) a vise & a pipe cutter. I had 16 drift tires cut in about an hour and still have over a foot of PVC left. grand total $2.50 . i cut some of the PVC 26mm and some 31mm.

set the car up last night, changed roll center, ride height, shock oil & springs. i have no idea how it'll work but i'll find out soon. i even built a mild mod with lay down brushes for some punch. if it's too much torque i'll throw my 19t back in it.

gotta pick up a cool drift body soon, i'm thinking Altezza, blue with silver graphics & a carbon fiber hood + wing
i got 10' of pvc for 4.00 this should last longer then my 4-tec ! and once i get back to work im all ways using 2" pvc {freebie} good luck with the car
Old 05-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Entropy
Lookin good dude. You can run a higher turn motor for longer run time and less maintanence like a 23 or 27 turn. It makes it easier to control the car.

Basically you set camber to get even wear on the pipes, coz they can cone alot and shorten the usable life of the pipes, not that it matters
ill give my 27 turn a try next time i go out . ive ran twice now once with the -4 camber and now once with the 0 camber . but this morning with the girlfriend at work i was runing it the house. on the carpet around the chair by the couch through the door way (dont hit the fish tank) into the kitchen (very slick) around the table and back into the living room. it was a blast
Old 05-27-2004, 05:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

does anyone else have the 3rd installment of the sg drift vid??? rcdrift doesnt have it, and i cant connect to the frequency rc site...thanx in advance!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 06:03 AM
Tech Adept

This was from a drift class in Japan.

PVC wheels.

You don't need much power to drift, especially with these type of wheels. A 27T is plenty!
Old 05-27-2004, 06:16 AM
Tech Initiate

some more speed would be useful
Old 05-27-2004, 06:17 AM
s2
Tech Adept

this is a good PVC tutorial, its in japanees but the pictures are helpful and easy to understand...
PVC Tutorial
Old 05-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

got the PVC on some wheels last night i went out with the car before work this morning to try it out. about half way through the first pack while "scuffing in" the fresh PVC i blew the rear diff must have been the helicopter style donuts with an 11t . i'm gonna put spools in the front & rear then put my 19t back in it. the PVC could use a little more bite, maybe it'll get better after it wears a bit. if not i'll try some grip-tape strips over the PVC . the PVC provides some long drifts but i'm gonna need some more practice to get the car going where i want it to.

Real Drifting= stupid
RC Drifting= sweet
Old 05-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default i do i do

Originally posted by nosyajg
does anyone else have the 3rd installment of the sg drift vid??? rcdrift doesnt have it, and i cant connect to the frequency rc site...thanx in advance!!!
i have it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.