Search

Help Save Portland Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Help Save Portland Racing

Hey Guys,
I am going to start this off by saying thanks to everyone for their support of our track and hobby shop. If it wasn't for everyone out there we wouldn't have made it this far. Now for the tough part. I am going to start this post about the race track, and leave the hobby shop issues for a different post. It will be the intention of Tim and I to separate the track from the business of the hobby shop. By doing so, we will be able to sustain the track and racing program while options to maintain the hobby shop are pursued. Please realize that by doing this we may be able to continue to race through the winter as well as buy a little time for some sort of reorganization or sale that would sustain the Hobby Shop. You as racers will have a vested interest in the track and racing program. Absolutely no money from this program will go towards Hometown Hobbies and its financial situation. Now with that out of the way, here is the proposal.

The racers and enthusiasts of A-Main Raceway will form a club. That club will consist of members that will pay dues to be a part of the club. The club will be responsible for the track lease payment (to be negotiated with the landlord) and all upkeep of the track and racing program. At our meeting Saturday, it was determined that for the immediate future, the track would propose to lease the building until the end of May. The reasoning for this was that the racing program typically slows down in the summer time as everyone moves outdoors, so the club may not be able to sustain itself through the summer. If the club deems that it can support itself and the majority approve the decision, then the club can pursue a longer lease. Please realize that all the information here will be contingent on the owner of the property approving the proposal from the club. And please realize that all this is contingent on the club raising the necessary monies to pay for the majority of the lease in advance. Here is a breakdown of the proposed fees for the club members:

Regular membership: $250 includes unlimited racing and practice (Jan. 9 – May 29)
“Slash” membership: $180 includes Tuesday night Slash racing and unlimited practice (Jan. 13 – May 26)
Walk-in race entry: $15 per class, 2nd class $10 (Novice $10)
Non-Member Practice: $10.00 per day, no hourly rate

By becoming a member of the club, you will be entitled to unlimited practice and racing for the duration of the lease. I know it seems like a lot of money up front, but if you break it down it is only $50.00 a month, which is less than most people would spend in that time if you include racing and practice. For those that cannot afford the membership up front, we would sincerely hope that they would race and practice as much as they could afford. This club membership fee only covers the racing and track program. It does not include anything to do with the hobby shop. There are many things to be worked out with the hobby shop. Tim and I will address them in a different post, but the main point with the hobby shop is this: it will no longer be around after January 31 in its current capacity. It will either be liquidated and then closed, or a buyer must be found and a deal worked out. If anybody reading this has the means or knows somebody that has the means, this is a prime opportunity to get into this business for very little cash outlay. The main problem with the hobby shop (and I don't want to go too far into this) is that Tim must move on in his life and pursue a career that will allow him to pay his bills and provide for his family. The debt load that Tim has accrued while trying to keep the hobby shop and track alive is such that the hobby shop can no longer support him. And it will not be able to support him regardless of how much the sales improve. Again, we will address the hobby shop later, but that is the main jist of the situation.
I cannot stress this enough, but the club and Hometown Hobbies will be two seperate entities. The club will in no part be responsible for any of the debt of the hobby shop. It will be a seperate entity with elected officers and a bank account. As a matter of fact, Tim and I will both be paying members of the club in order to make sure it gets started and the track has a future.

Everyone needs to look deep into themselves and see how much they truly want to have a track in the greater Portland area. I know that there is a core group of guys that really want this to succeed and I am 100% confident it can work. It is up to you the racers and enthusiasts to decide if this is what you want.

So here is what has to happen in the next few weeks to make this work. If you are interested in the club membership we need to know right away. If everything comes together and the landlord agrees we would need payment by Jan 9th . We need as many commitments from racers by Dec 28th, that is not a lot of time but if we all call a few people it shouldn’t be hard to get the word out. If we get enough commitments and the landlord is favorable we will have a club organizational meeting on Jan 4th (Sunday). At this meeting we can elect officers and talk about the details.

Here is the contact info that you need:

Andy Phelps is collecting commitments and officer nominations (you must be nominated) so send him a message with your contact info at [email protected]

Dave Copher and Tim Rowe are taking any general questions and inquiries into the Hobby Shop. [email protected] or [email protected]. You can also PM me on RCTech.

Thanks guys, let’s see what we can do.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think that is a great, well thought out plan. If it weren't for my lack of driving ability and distance from the track, I would be all in for the $250. As it is, I will be there as much as possible to pay the $10/$15/$10!
Raising race fees is long overdue in my opinion. $20 for racing two classes with $XXXX in cars and equipment has always seemed a little low to me.
Chris
Old 12-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think this is the correct forum for this:
Making the track a more comfortable place to be would raise race entries immensely in my opinion. Heat would make it a more family oriented hobby. Corean used to race and would be happy to start again if it were more comfortable to be there, heat wise.
Problem: Heat costs money and the heat goes right out the doors/holes.
Solution: Get some club members to volunteer some time/materials to plug up some of those huge holes in the building? Maybe work something out with the landlord to be compensated a bit for renovation with breaks on the lease? At least to cover materials. Possibly limit entry to the building to the front door and keep that large side door closed most of the time?
It wouldn't take much effort to plug the major holes in back and make heat more affordable.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Excellent! I am in for sure! Who and how would the track be run? What would the hours be? Just curious on some of the finer details. Thanks again for posting this!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just emailed andy to say that I'M IN for a full membership!!!!

For those of you that are on the fence between doing the $250 for a full membership vs paying as you go, I would encourage you to go for the full membership. If we don't get enough people to do the full membership, we won't get off the ground and there won't be any races for you to pay individually at. Obviously these are tough times and not everyone can put together $250 on such short notice, but if there is any way you can I would strongly encourage you to do so to give the club the best chance to get off the ground! If you can't do it yourself, maybe you know someone else that can. Be sure to spread the word. Thanks!

And if anyone wants to nominate me for a club officer I am very interested in doing it!...

Derek Rasheed
Old 12-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just a few Questions-

1. How many members will this club need to make this work? Im sure there isnt an exact number but a good guess would be helpful.

2. The "Track" uses some equipment that is currently property of the Hobby shop, such as scoring system, transponders, etc. Is the club buying this from the hobby shop? and if so what happens to the equipment if and when may comes and the Club dissolves so to speak.

3. How much is the hoped for amount of the new lease? and if the hobby shop does indeed close would an alternative location be better? The current location helps increase the foot traffic of the Hobby shop but if the hobby shop is no longer in operation at some point the club will be wasting money.

Im not trying to be negative at all here I sincerely hope this can work. In this horrible economy, thats alot of money to put out to hope it works out.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gregthecarguy
Just a few Questions-

1. How many members will this club need to make this work? Im sure there isnt an exact number but a good guess would be helpful.

2. The "Track" uses some equipment that is currently property of the Hobby shop, such as scoring system, transponders, etc. Is the club buying this from the hobby shop? and if so what happens to the equipment if and when may comes and the Club dissolves so to speak.

3. How much is the hoped for amount of the new lease? and if the hobby shop does indeed close would an alternative location be better? The current location helps increase the foot traffic of the Hobby shop but if the hobby shop is no longer in operation at some point the club will be wasting money.

Im not trying to be negative at all here I sincerely hope this can work. In this horrible economy, thats alot of money to put out to hope it works out.
Here are some answers to the questions:

1. Somewhere between 40 and 50 members should cover the costs to run the track for the 5 months.

2. The scoring system and transponders will be "on loan" to the club for the time being. The laptop computer is mine, so that is not a problem. RCScoringPro was purchased by Hometown Hobbies, but I don't see a problem with loaning it to the club. The transponder system is worth something, but as far as I am concerned it can be loaned out also. If the club would decide to purchase any of that stuff, then it is owned by the club and is the property of the club, not one individual. If the club dissolves, then any purchased equipment would be sold and distributed to club members accordingly.

3. The new lease will need to be negotiated, but for our budget numbers we plugged in $2000.00 a month, with an additional $500.00 a month for utilities, etc. If a new hobby shop owner is found, then some kind of mutually beneficial arrangement could be worked out I am sure.

The club would not be wasting any money. If the hobby shop closes, there is a fully functioning hobby shop approximately 10 minutes away. People would just need to be prepared a little better if the hobby shop does close. We are hopeful that somebody will step up and snap up a good deal on the hobby shop and it will be win/win for the new hobby shop and track organization. If the club decided to move the track, that would be the club's decision. I can assure you that it will not be easy to find another suitable location and it takes a lot more effort than most people here realize. The guys that helped us move into this location know the logistics and how long it took. You are looking at a minimum of 3 weeks spent just on the track area, let alone all the other stuff. There are also zoning issues and occupancy issues that most of you don't realize. Trust me, if it was easy to move, it wouldn't have taken so long to move from Vancouver to Portland.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GUZZIDOC
Excellent! I am in for sure! Who and how would the track be run? What would the hours be? Just curious on some of the finer details. Thanks again for posting this!
The hours and schedule have not been worked out just yet. The most likely scenario for now would be that the track would be open when the hobby shop is open. Please be aware that keys won't just be handed out to every club member. There will probably be 3 executive board members of the club that will have access to the facility. It will be up to them to determine any extra hours that the track will be open. All these decisions will be made after we get enough members and have the next meeting.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am terribly sorry but I cannot afford the $250 fee. I really wish I could and feel bad that I can't. I DO NOT want to see the track nor the hobby shop to close but I understand the tough times. I will say now that I will continue working at Hometown Hobbies until the end of January and if it is purchased by another person I would love to continue to be an employee, if that isn't offered I will then move on. I am sad to hear the day has come, and wish I could afford the club membership fee but can't
Old 12-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

I would agree with Chris that heat would make it a more family atmosphere. I know I would enjoy it and it does keep some of my family away.

One problem I have is this: I was involved in a couple "club" programs before and they both closed or quit running before the membership ran out. I and others lost money and small monitary investments. Hopefully something could be done to keep this from happening.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

i would like to nominate Derek Rasheed for officer
Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Guys, please do not come on here and make nominations for officers or commit to joining the club. If you want to make nominations or commit, please send an e-mail to the above address. That way it gets to who needs it and we have a record of it.

Redman, I understand the apprehension. If the club gets enough committed members and the landlord agrees to the terms, then it is a done deal for the 5 months. That is why we are trying to raise the money up front, so we have the power of a lump sum of cash to offer to the landlord. I believe it will be much easier for him to accept the offer if we have $10,000.00 in cash for the 5 months, as apposed to offering him $2,000.00 a month for 5 months, where he really doesn't have a "guarantee" of total payment. Especially in these economic times, that much cash up front would probably sway most landlords. If for some reason people commit and the deal does not go through, everybody would get their money back. That is the whole point of setting up the club with officers and its own bank account. Hometown Hobbies will not be affiliated with the club in any way. And neither Tim or I will be on the executive board of the club, just members like others. I think this is the best way to keep it seperated.

If you guys have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I will be more than happy to answer what I can.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by redman
I would agree with Chris that heat would make it a more family atmosphere. I know I would enjoy it and it does keep some of my family away.

Forgot about the heat issue. The heat being on is a tough one. I have no problem providing heat for the racers, but it gets more than a little frustrating to have the heat cranking in the back and guys standing next to the wide open door. Electric night is usually not too bad, but there are still guys that run in and out of the big sliding door way too much. Or leave it cracked open while they are standing there smoking. I know it is a tough one. Maybe if the club is paying the heating bill, then members will be a little more careful about closing the door. I know right now most guys just say "Who gives a f?!k, I don't have to pay the bill!" I have heard that line more than once from people that didn't know I was around. And typically, nitro and the heater being on do not work very well. All the heat generated by the heaters is sucked right up through the fan and spit outside. Again, it would be up to the members once the club is formed. I do agree with Chris that a little maintenance would go a long way towards making the back pit area a little more air-tight. We had always meant to do it, but it never quite got done.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

hey guys sorry to here about whats happening with the track /shop I hope you guys can get the support from everyone around there get hold of me if you guys need any thing that I can help you with.lets face it guys if you don't help tim &dave you could have some real problems like were to race !!!!!!!!!! so mabe vs. buying online to save goddamm .02 by from your local independent owned shop . understandbly everyone tries to save money but the few dollars you save kills the local track . Unfortaly I've been through this in my world .so ban together and make it happen .have a great christmas
Old 12-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Sorry to hear about all this!!! Times are tough for everyone in this economic state we are in..

With that said couple ideas to think about

250.00 right now is alot for some to come up with due to the economy, plus add Christmas on top of that.

So another option could be:
  1. $80 club membership which gives you free practice time and your race fees are only $5.
  2. The club can spend (once there is capitol) some money in the hobby shop on some raffle prizes, say a couple pairs of tires to start out with and move up to nicer things as there is more revenue in the club. The money received from the raffle go back into the club's pot to help pay the rent, improvements, and heat, etc.
  3. As far as the heat, I am sure once people have a vested interest in the track and are helping to pay for the heat, they will be more inclined to close the door, after all we weren't born in a barn
Just some ideas, which I always have plenty of.. LOL

Last edited by dgullickson; 12-23-2008 at 09:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.